fan placement, exhausting and intake, plz help

monste4321

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
ok im going to buy an antec 900 case so ill have 4 reg case fans and the top 200 or w/e fan, ill have 2 front fans, im assuming they should both be intake, the ill have 1 rear fan, presumably exhaust, then ill have 1 window fan, should that be intake or exhaust, and then what should the top fan be set as.

also i was wondering what should i set my cpu cooler's fan to intake or exhaust, ill be getting a scythe ninja 2 rev b, and also what direction should i have the fan pointing on it,

lastly do you guys think thatll be enough case cooling for a p35 ds3l with a q6600 and a 8800gt,

thanks much for the advice

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Well, I discovered that a side fan didn't help. Intake disrupted the airflow so the temp increased, and exhaust didn't have any effect, so I left the case as it is, and my temps are excellent. Great case.

Probably the best is to have the air flow from front to back, and from bottom to top. Hot air rises, help it along.
I think the front should be intake, and the rear and top should be exhaust. I think the side should be intake also. For the ninja, direct the cpu cooler air back towards the rear exhaust fan. A case could be made for directing the ninja fan upward, also.

monste4321

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
hmm those r good ideas, but im just wondering if i should make the heatsink fan blow on the cpu or pull heat off of it, and is the ninja able to be mounted with fan facing back?

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
The Ninja has to have the fan blowing air towards the heatsink. As geofelt said, it can be placed below (looking up) or at the right side (blowing to the left). Any other placement won't give you good results. My Tuniq is placed the usual way (blowing to the back of the case), and as I said before my temps are great.

dspear

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
The following is the airflow I'd reccomend for max cooling. You can adapt it to fit the Antec as well as possible.
The window fan can be slower and supply cool air directly to the HSF. The HSF blows down onto the CPU and mobo, to help cool the mobo.
Two front intake fans (pic below) can be 80mm which will mount vertically to just fit two DVD bays each. Two rear exhaust fans can be 120mm if there is room.
Intake 1 blows directly onto the CPU and mobo top, and then to Exhaust 1 to pull the CPU heat right out.
Intake 2 is in the bottom bays to supply cool air to the mobo bottom and middle. If posssible, this air is pulled out by Exhaust 2 mounted higher than the intake so the air rises a bit to cover more bottom mobo.
The top exhaust mainly pulls heat generated by the PSU and upper DVDs and HDDs. This could be slower speed.
You could place loose cardboard to separate the mobo bottom and top airflow. Or the cardboard could allow both airflows to go to halves of a single exhaust fan if neccesary.

+-------^^^--------+
DVD M |
DVD O |
>>> CPU T >>>
>>> H >>>
FRONT> HDD E | >REAR
HDD R >>>
HDD B >>>
>>> D |
>>> |
+---------- ---------+

Looking from the top of the heatsink, down to the cpu, the ninja is a square. It can be oriented so that the fans face the rear, or the top. Normally you push air through the ninja, towards the rear or the top. If there is sufficient room(it's big) you might be able to mount the fan on the opposite side and pull air through the ninja and out the back or top. I don't see any reason to do that.

plguzman's rig uses a 900, so I would take his advice.