Sign in with
Your question

Adding server drives to desktop PC

Last response: in Storage
November 6, 2008 5:30:14 PM

I'm soon going to end up with a few 15k and 18k server drives in the next week or so.

As I understand it these things can make for very nice OS or game drives, but most mobos dont have ports for them, can anyone advice me what kit I need so that I can setup a RAID0 for them? recomendations for make/model would be great along with a UK retailer if posible.

Asus p5k
Q6600 @3.2
4GB OCZ Flex XLC 1150

Many thanks

V
November 6, 2008 5:48:39 PM

Need to know the interface.
November 6, 2008 6:27:21 PM

interface? what are my options?
Related resources
November 6, 2008 6:38:55 PM

interface means the type of drive.
We need to know the model #s to know what it takes to hook them up.
November 6, 2008 6:43:06 PM

I see, at the moment I dont know and will probably be able to choose the interface, does the type of interface make much difference to performance? If so could I get some interface recomendations also

Many thanks
a b G Storage
November 6, 2008 8:01:12 PM

18k?

As far as I know, the only speeds above 7200 that are offered are 15k and 10k. The best interface right now to get would probably be serial attached scsi (SAS). SCSI is out of date, and fiber channel is more expensive for a controller.
November 6, 2008 11:24:18 PM

Id say if your going to "end up" with some server drives they are more than likely going to be older and hence on SCSI rather than SAS but as above you need to know before anyone can help you.
a b G Storage
November 7, 2008 12:02:22 PM

As cjl says, 15k seems to be the highest available disk speed (and those will be SCSI one). Be aware that 15k disks are designed for use in servers that have very good cooling (and normally reside in an airconditioned server room). They may not be suitable for use in a workstation without additional cooling.

If the disks are no longer needed I would suspect that they're going to be relatively small ones. When you add in the cost of buying a suitable RAID card you'd almost certainly be better off buying some (cheap as anything) modern SATA drives instead.
!