Sign in with
Your question

ahhhh omfg why doesnt my pc detect my monitor....????

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Western Digital
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 26, 2007 2:09:12 PM

ok i just put together my system but my monitor does not detect my pc.. HELP

asus maximus formula
2 gb corsair ram
700 watt ocz psu
evga 8800 gts 512
2x 500 gig wd hard drives

LG L245WP-BN 24IN Widescreen LCD Monitor

More about : ahhhh omfg doesnt detect monitor

December 26, 2007 2:18:07 PM

Checklist:

Are you getting any POST beeps?
Did you use stand-offs?
Have you connected the 4 (in some cases, 8) pin CPU connector? Check, double-check, and TRIPLE check all internal connections
Do you have the extra power connected from PSU to GPU?

If all the above checks out, remove the motherboard from the case and try plugging in hardware piece by piece to see if you can get it to power up.
December 26, 2007 2:21:20 PM

1) no post beeps
2) what are stand offs?
3) yes
4) ill check
5) yes

omg i hope my pc works... :( 
Related resources
December 26, 2007 2:31:07 PM

1. Is there a system speaker (should be somewhere on the case) that is attached to the motherboard?

2. Stand-offs are the little brass / bronze colored pegs that the motherboard sits on inside the case. (These are very important)
December 26, 2007 2:35:46 PM

ok i have one little connector on my psu left: 4 pin and it says in white P7 and then below that in black it says wst8

could that be anything??
December 26, 2007 2:44:26 PM

Check PSU
December 26, 2007 2:47:26 PM

the fans are running the lights are on but nothing comes on screen
December 26, 2007 2:47:51 PM

Are the wires on the 4 pin - (2xYellow and 2xBlack). I'm 99% sure that is the 4 pin CPU connector that I said needs to connected.

The more you describe your case, the more it sounds like you don't have the 4pin CPU power connected, you didn't use stand-offs, or you have a faulty mobo.

Quote:
Check PSU
That is a very broad statement. Other than a faulty PSU, his PSU has more than sufficient Amperes for his setup.
December 26, 2007 2:49:48 PM

no its 2 black 1 red 1 yellow
December 26, 2007 2:53:42 PM

Ok, look at the white 4-slot connector in the upper right-hand corner of this picture. Is that slot connected to something?

If yes.

Are all the slots of the bottom (long white connector) at the bottom filled with plugs? If you have 4 slots missing, you need to plug that extra 4 pin you have into the empty 4 slots.

If no.

See if that 4-pin connector will fit into the 4-slot white connector.

December 26, 2007 2:57:24 PM

i have only 4 pins in that connector.. my psu doesnt have another one which will fit it :S
December 26, 2007 2:59:02 PM

like my psu has another cpu 4 pin thing but that holes dont match

there are 2 power cables 1 labeled cpu 1 and the other cpu 2. the first has 2 squars and 2 of this other shape, the cpu 2 connector however has all of that other shape like a square with a bulging side
December 26, 2007 3:04:40 PM

If both the AT (4-pin white slot) and ATX (24-pin white slot) are filled, then you probably just have an extra 4-pin connector for additional CPU slots.

I'm guessing you have something that looks like this:

That extra 4-pin looks like what you are describing. It goes into the 4-pins (which are covered by a sticker in this picture) along with the rest of the 20-pin connector.

****EDIT*****

Quote:
like my psu has another cpu 4 pin thing but that holes dont match

there are 2 power cables 1 labeled cpu 1 and the other cpu 2. the first has 2 squars and 2 of this other shape, the cpu 2 connector however has all of that other shape like a square with a bulging side

Do you have the "cpu 1" cable plugged into that upper right-hand slot we were talking about earlier? That's the one that needs to go there. "cpu 2" is extra as some motherboards have an 8-pin CPU power slot.
December 26, 2007 3:08:35 PM

maverick7 said:
1) no post beeps
2) what are stand offs?
3) yes
4) ill check
5) yes

omg i hope my pc works... :( 

2) Those gold things that you put screws in so your motherboard won't fall out of the computer case.
December 26, 2007 3:12:07 PM

yes i have cpu 1 connector connected there and that sticker is actually just a cap on those slots covering it

am i supposed to have that 24, 4 pin connector in it?? that one that is covered in that picture u posted?
December 26, 2007 3:14:42 PM

Quote:
2) Those gold things that you put screws in so your motherboard won't fall out of the computer case.

They also prevent you from shorting your motherboard against the case and possibly ruining it for good.

If all cables are connected correctly, try starting with 1 stick of RAM (make sure it's not in a Dual-Channel only slot). Some motherboards are very picky about RAM.

If that is not the case, then you have a faulty Motherboard, PSU (doubtful), or you didn't use stand-offs.

Quote:
yes i have cpu 1 connector connected there and that sticker is actually just a cap on those slots covering it

am i supposed to have that 24, 4 pin connector in it?? that one that is covered in that picture u posted?

There are 24 pins total. Usually a 20-pin and a separate 4-pin as shown above. Just remove the cap and place the 4-pin connector in the slot and then try booting.
December 26, 2007 3:21:58 PM

.... god

also on my lcd post thing it says cpu init

what does that mean??

and could it not be my gpu??
December 26, 2007 3:24:34 PM

If you have a speaker hooked up to your motherboard and you're not getting a POST, then no, it's not your GPU. (At least that isn't your main problem)

Now please answer whether or not you used stand-offs. If you didn't, you probably ruined your motherboard and it won't work at all.
December 26, 2007 3:26:37 PM

and im not sure if this makes a difference but i just realized no dvd drives are plugged in.. though i highly doubt it.. i would be happy if all i needed to do was plug em in
December 26, 2007 3:30:41 PM

Quote:
and im not sure if this makes a difference but i just realized no dvd drives are plugged in.. though i highly doubt it.. i would be happy if all i needed to do was plug em in
Plug em in if it makes you happy, but if you didn't use stand-offs it won't help you.

I hope you're not a 12:00 flasher.
December 26, 2007 3:31:55 PM

what the hell are stand-offs?? and what is a 12:00 flasher?
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
December 26, 2007 3:37:01 PM

Standoffs are the brass/copper studs that screw into the motherboard tray of your computer case. These create a separation (or stand off) between the underside of your motherboard and the case itself.

Use this web page to see what we mean. You'll need to scroll down a little bit.

A "12:00 Flasher" is a person who is unable (though sometime it refers to someone unwilling) to program the correct time into their VCR. Thus the clock on the VCR continually flashes "12:00".

-Wolf sends
December 26, 2007 3:37:11 PM

omg... We answered what stand-offs were 3 times now!

These! (They are sometimes silver)

They go into the case like so (line them up with the holes in the motherboard and use no more stand-offs than there are holes):
December 26, 2007 3:38:56 PM

sry lol

and yes i did put them in
December 26, 2007 3:46:00 PM

sure sounds like a short to me. try booting it outside of case then if it starts put it in the case .
make sure you only use as many stand offs that you need (6 to 9) depending on the board lay out.
to many and it will short against the back of your board.check your manual to see were any additional
power plugs need to be plugged in to mother board..

December 26, 2007 3:48:08 PM

im only using stand offs where i have put screws in.. ie where they need to be.

**** this is annoying omg.. i dont want to have to pull it from the case :( 
December 26, 2007 3:50:27 PM

have you tried to reset the cmos ?? ive seen that help with my builds in the past
December 26, 2007 3:52:10 PM

Every time you pull it out and put it back together you become more familiar with it and run into less problems in the future. Yes, it's annoying as hell taking the thing in and out of the case, but it's necessary unless you want to pay some dude at Bestbuy $280 to tell you it was some thing stupid like the PSU being see to 220 instead of 115.
December 26, 2007 3:52:25 PM

if i reset the cmos will i have to update the bios or something like that later?? like do i have to load anything back or change settings or is it just like restarting the computer lol?? i know u restart it on a bad oc but not entirely sure what it does.
December 26, 2007 3:55:39 PM

should be a jumper on the board check you manual to see were it is and how to do it .its real easy you should have no problems doing it.
December 26, 2007 3:55:52 PM

*edit* Pont beat me to it.

No, you just reset them to their factory settings. Sometimes fluctuating power (blackouts or brownouts) can cause some problems. Just read your manual on resetting the CMOS or BIOS. It's usually just a set of 3 pins on the motherboard with a Red jumper on two them. I'd also double check that your CMOS jumper isn't already set on the reset pins. (This happened with someone else straight from the factory and it wouldn't allow them to boot...)
December 26, 2007 4:00:27 PM

i would also check for additional power for your board ..i now my dfi board takes a floppy style plug from the power supply that i didnt know till i read my manual
December 26, 2007 4:00:34 PM

i reset the cmos and still nothing.. about to do ram
December 26, 2007 4:04:10 PM

my lcd monitor should be set to RGB right?? the other 2 options are HDMI and compnent

also my keyboard and mouse arent not lighting up if that means anything
December 26, 2007 4:05:37 PM

ok ..try with only cpu and heat sink installed,1 stick of ram in the #1 slot

vid card with power plugged in to it . and 1 hard drive and your dvd drive
December 26, 2007 4:09:10 PM

Christ almighty i changed the ram and **** now it works THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 26, 2007 4:13:03 PM

*EDIT* See you just got it fixed.

Best thing you could do is pull everything out of the case, put the motherboard on something nonconductive, like a block of wood, or piece of cardboard. Then plug in the bare minimum to get the thing running, eg. processor, one stick of RAM, video card, and PSU. Nothing else is necessary to get to a POST screen, and if you still don't get the machine to boot, you know it is one of those 5 things that is bad. At that point, it helps if you have another machine to swaps parts in and out with, to figure out what part is bad by process of elimination.

-TyShoe
December 26, 2007 4:19:57 PM

glad to hear that have fun
!