new build, mointor resolution issue, need help quick

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Final Edit: Complete reinstall worked.

Edit: trying a complete reinstall of vista, hopefully that does the trick or I will be SOL with a massive headach on my hands. Note to self, use restore points frequently when doing a new build incase of noob situations like the one I just put myself in.

Just put together a system tonight and its my first build. Everything has been going smooth until after I got the OS installed. Vista 64bit OS installed fine and when I was playing around tweaking settings I changed the screen resolution up a bit and now I keep getting a black screen with a mesage "out of frequecy" then the monitor goes into powermanagement mode. I can get into bios and to the OS load screen just fine but when it gets to the point where the OS would come up I get the black screen and error again. Tried starting in safemode to change the resolution back but with no luck, same thing happens. Anyone have any ideas?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
hmmm safe mode should have dont it... im not sure if Vista still has a VGA mode same as XP had. But that will actually only load stock standard drivers and will not push the screen to high.

Curious how big the screen is you are using? crt ? lcd?

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Ya in XP booting in safe always went to a really low res. I dont know if vista does also or not since this is my first night ever on vista.

Its just a 15" crt so I should have known better than to try cranking up the resolution. Once I get everything going I'll use my 17" crt until I can upgrade to a nice big flat panel.