Newbie007

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2007
Hey guys,

Which TV tuner can i use for Vista 64-bit with 4g of ram. I called up Hauppage and they told me they were having issues with their tv cards and 4gigs of ram.
I dont know what ram has to do with a TV card working, but thats what they said.

What would you guys recommend?

thanks in advance,

-jack

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I'm not sure why the amount of RAM you have would matter for a TV tuner card. My ADS PCI TV tuner card does not have vista drivers, but the XP ones work fine with Vista (32, haven't tried with 64, but it should still work). I think the best bet is to make sure it's Windows MCE compatible and you should be ok. Just to be on the safe side make sure you buy from somewhere you can easily return it if it doesn't work.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
The Hauppauge 1600 hybrid ATSC NTSC tuner works perfectly. I have used it and it is one of the few things that gave me no grief during installation. Just look out for "vista ready" which means only 32 bit and possibly 64 bit. What you need to look for is "Vista Premium Ready" and you'll be set. Anyways, i've been enjoying it for several months now without a hitch, there are hauppage that dont support 64 bit so just make sure you follow my advice. The amount of memory shouldnt affect anything, if it does, you could just take a stick out and put it back in after installation.

lmighty

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008
Just a quick question though, because it's quite confusing. Do I need a TV-Card which shows MCE in the title like "WinTV-PVR-150 MCE" for it to work with Vista Media Center. Or would a "WinTV-HVR-1100" also work with media center in vista :x

weilin

Distinguished
i have the Hauppauge winTV HVR 1800 and i love it. It interfaces with windows media center and allows for scheduled recording etc. Comes with built in programming guide. Also the kit comes with media center remote for channels and volume. It also comes in a PCI-E interface (thats what finally convinced me). The price is approx $100.