cooler for 8800 series?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hello,
I am wondering whether it's best to buy an aftermarket cooler for 8800 series cards, in particular, the 8800GT. I'm just going to use the stock speeds for the most part. But, I read that these cards run kinda hot. Also, what is the min. PSU wattage to get? Am I safe to go for 550w as it should have over 24A going to the 12V, right? Does it matter if it's modular? I was going to go with a modular PSU but I can ensure enough power by going the typical ATX psu and around 600watts.

I was also thinking I could get a used Geforce 7-series card and stick a Zalman cooler on that (which I know about and know where to get) for cheaper but it is a hassle to find and worry about the price/performance ratio. The 8800GT cards probably have more future to them but they are still around $300. I'm building a 2nd system and already have a 7950Gt but need a higher wattage PSU.

If I get a 8800 series card down the road (might even find one used), what cooling should I have? Is stock enough if I'm not overclocking and have a 500+ PSU?

My case is an Antec Solo. Is that good enough for cooling? It has two case fans. I think I should have got the 900 but hopefully, it is good enough.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I think most 7 series coolers work on the GT's, but the reason the stock cooler isn't that effective is because there is a fan problem. For some reason it never exceeds 29% or something. You can try using Rivatuner to crank it up to 60% or higher.

Quick google search came up with this:

There are 3 that I know of for sure. The Zalman VF1000, HR03 and the TT duorb. I've heard that the VF900 will work as well but I can't confirm.

Source: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t51792.html

Anyways, if you want to ensure compatibility, just google "8800GT aftermarket cooler" there is no shortage to results. :p

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
Quote :
There are 3 that I know of for sure. The Zalman VF1000, HR03 and the TT duorb. I've heard that the VF900 will work as well but I can't confirm.

It does

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Am I safe to go for 550w as it should have over 24A going to the 12V, right? Does it matter if it's modular? I was going to go with a modular PSU but I can ensure enough power by going the typical ATX psu and around 600watts.
I think your PSU should be more than enough to power an 8800GT.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I don't own either a 8800 GT or the 520HX supply yet. I think I need to upgrade my PSU which is a 400w Seasonic Tornado. I had a problem in which a used 7950GT in there resulted in something burning. I think it was the PSU since the video card was tested in a computer with a 500w PSU and it worked.

My current computer and the 400w PSU works with the old GPU put in there (not even in TH's charts...lol).

I was wondering about coolers and PSU since I migh upgrade the PSU for the current computer and will consider the 8800GT for a future build. I read that these run a bit hot and thanks to all those who responded so I have some insight on which cooler to get (if the stock one isn't good enough)!

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
The newer stock one is MUCH quieter and a few degrees cooler too.

Antec900 is one of the best cooled cases there is DW about it, only a few can compete with it in cooling.

For watts depends on the current over all the 12v things it wont actually use over300watts for real probably under 200 for most of the time just make sure you got the amps.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Agreed
I have had no issues with my 450w@26amp

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Remember that removing the stock cooler will most likely be grounds for a warranty rejection if it fails. So unless you plan on OC'ing to the max don't do it.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Warrenty is different with different manufacturers. BFG and EVGA allow you to remove the stock cooler and replace it. You put the original back on if you need to RMA it. IF it has smoked chips and the stock cooler was removed, then your OOL. They are pretty smart when checking returned cards. Or if you put a modded bios in to up the voltage, they can tell etc.....

IF you do get a aftermarket cooler, make sure you put heatsinks on all the right places. The RAM and mosfets etc. You don't, you can smoke it.

Lastly, many of the aux heatsinks come with thermal sticky tape to install. IF YOU DON"T CLEAN THE CHIPS PROPERLY, THEY WILL FALL OFF. Using alcohol isn't enough. I use Artic Clean, a small two-bottle solution that is made for cleaning chips.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Hatman and the rest of you guys if you know, is an Antec Solo case sufficient for the 8800GT? I bought this before I recognized the Antec 900 is considered one of the best for cooling due to all the fans. But, I wanted something somewhat quiet as I was going to use the computer for other things besides gaming such as watching DVDs.

Conundrum, where would you get 'Arctic Clean?' Can I get it at a typical computer shop?

I have a 7950GT that needs half of the heatsinks put on the thermal sticky tape (that I also need to apply). I was told by some shop tech to get the tape hot before applying. Does that make sense? How should one prepare everything besides using the Arctic Clean solution for cleaning?

Thanks in advance!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
If you want quiet the Antec SOLO is a great case. If you are planning extreme OC'ong then you may need more, but mine has served me well. It cools well and I can't even hear my PC, not even my Raptor. My new GT idles at 55 with the fan at 46% (highest I can go w/o hearing it). I am replacing the stock cooler with an Arctic Cooling S1 for a better cooling performance and less noice.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ohh, gaming and a quiet VID rig doesn't really mix. On the one hand you need top performance for gaming, meaning hot vid cards and processors. On the other hand you need quiet for movies.

My antec 900 has 3 120's on the case and a 200 mm on the case. All on low. My CPU fan is a 120mm fan (Thermaltake V1), and my vid card is a 120mm Thermalright HR03 GT, both on low.

My stressed/load temps on my CPU/VID (both overclocked but not crazy) never go above 53C, very good temps. And pretty quiet. If this PC was by the TV and I was 8 ft away on the couch I 'might' be able to hear it, just barely.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I'll be trying to achieve what you did, rook! ;-)

Is it worth getting the S1 over the VF-900-cu?

Unfortunately, I can't use newegg.

I found only one place (so far) in Canada where I can buy Arctic Clean and it comes in a kit with other stuff.

I now really believe in trying for cooliing above all else and having silence or low-noise as 2nd priority. With hardware nowadays, it's too easy for it to get hot or run hot. Especially, if you are going to have multiple hard drives, DVD burners, etc. I also think a decent PSU is a must and although I didn't want to pay the dollars necessary to get one, I still went out and got a decent PSU (Corsair). I'd rather buy the component once and perhaps upgrade later. I don't want to have to RMA or buy the same thing twice.

I saw the Antec 900 in a local store and although it only had fans on, it was very quiet. I'm sure you would start hearing it with motherboard, hard drives and a video card in there but that is one sharp-looking and sensible case! Nice design to achieve cooling! The fan at the top is a 140mm fan? I think if I had to do it again, I'd choose that one. But, I have been told the Solo can achieve sufficient cooling, too, despite not having as many fans.

Oh yeah, I probably won't be overclocking but if I did, it would be only slight. I only have one game so far. LOL

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I saw the Antec 900 in a local store and although it only had fans on, it was very quiet. I'm sure you would start hearing it with motherboard, hard drives and a video card in there but that is one sharp-looking and sensible case! Nice design to achieve cooling! The fan at the top is a 140mm fan? I think if I had to do it again, I'd choose that one. But, I have been told the Solo can achieve sufficient cooling, too, despite not having as many fans.
The top fan on the Antec 900 is 250mm, AKA. THE EXTRACTOR!. :p I love my Antec 900 though, it's always extremely cool even when all the fans are let on low (Each fan has a L/M/H setting) and inaudible when I'm gaming. Also, it's a steel case... so it's less prone to getting dented, but this thing weighs like 50lbs+ fully loaded.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks. I found someplace local that carries it, too.

Do I need Arctic Silver 5 at all for the heatsinks or is that just for processors? ('must sound like such a newbie!)

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
To Canuck1

in 1 minutes have found lot of place who sell artic clean, I used shopbot.ca... I know is for price comparaison but at least I can find thing really fast.

fjabad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
here's a nice little review comparing 7 coolers for the 8800 GT.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
You can use AS5 for the gpu, it will work on gpu's, cpu's, and even chipsets. But most chipsets do not get hot enough to warrant AS5.

stoli

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
There is new cooler that is optimized for 8800GT cards its Thermalright HR-03 GT 272 $67.98 from Heatsinkfactory

tawilson

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
zalman vf-900 did wonders for mine, which was unplayable at stock settings, even with rivatuner at 100% fan speed. i have adequate airflow in my case and still the thing would overheat. very easily installed the vf-900 and presto, runs like a champ with no audible noise at all, even at full speed. great product for the price. if only nv would have though to include a good cooler....

though in fairness i do believe they updated the cooler recently.

regardless... yes, it will most likely void the warranty. but no, you don't need to intend on overclocking the card to think about purchasing aftermarket cooling.

i have q6600 overclocked with two raptors and the 8800gt, 550w is running it fine (antec he550, great PSU btw).

im telling everyone i can about the vf-900, such a great cooler. also, i hear the above posted HR-03GT is awesome as well, but it wasn't available at Fry's or the egg when i bought mine.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
The stock 8800GT cooler is crap.>>>>>

rhs88gq0.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-12-27