How to Fix Loud Rattling from Power Supply?

Inabil1ty

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
I have a SilverStone 600W ST60F modular PSU that's only about 3 months old. For the past week, its fan has been making a loud rattling noise. (I'm 95% certain the PSU is the culprit. It's possible it's the CPU fan. I know it's not the case fan because I've already replaced that to try to fix this problem and the noise is as bad as ever). The blades appear to be striking the circular metal shield. Should I loosen the screws to attempt to lower the shield and separate it from the fan blades? Or is this a bad idea on the theory that One Should Not Mess With a PSU? It seems awfully early for the high-end PSU to be failing, and I'd hate to replace it if the problem is easily fixable.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Well in theory, you could open the power supply, and inset washers onto the screws to space out the fan, but that would void your warranty.

However, I assume Silverstone wouldn't have designed their PSUs like that, so the rattling noise may be pointing to a failed fan (ie perhaps the blades have been dislodged from a shock, or the bearings have failed and are no longer holding the rotor at the right height).

You could RMA though.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I would not mess with a power supply unless you know what you are doing. I would say send it back or get a new one. If you open it and try to fix it and you mess some thing up, then try to plug it back in and power up your system you could damage your computer and even kill yourself in the process.

Stick something relatively soft and non-conductive (like a Q-tip or a small dowel) into the fans that might be the problem. Start with the CPU fan before checking the PSU. If the noise stops, replace the offending fan or RMA it if it is in the PSU and you don't want to mess with it.