Sign in with
Your question

Boot loop, freezing BIOS, partial OS

Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2010 12:40:22 AM

This forum has helped me solve many problems before but this is the first one I've had where I can't seem to narrow down the problem, and I'm sure I've done a lot of stuff to make it worse... I hope someone can help!

Compaq F755US laptop

I had been running Windows 7 on it, and it was running fine. A few months ago I had a problem with a boot loop, but replacing the CMOS battery fixed that up.

I installed Windows XP on a second partition (the one that contained the original factory settings and information which I thought I wouldn't need... stupid, I know). That worked but after a few restarts the same problem where the BIOS was acting really slow and sometimes resarted itself started happening again. I replaced the CMOS battery but that did nothing to solve the problem.

So, I tried to reinstall Windows XP in hopes that that would help. I finally got past the incredibly slow BIOS and started the installation, but it hung up halfway through. Upon restarting, it comes to a "set-up is restarting" screen, but when set-up continues it can't find my optical drive (nor do I seem to be able to boot from CD-ROM). I then tried to install XP on my other partition since that one seemed a lost cause... and the exact same thing happened.

So here I am, with 2 partial installs on 2 partitions, unable to boot from CD-ROM, with a BIOS that is very slow if it ever loads. The BIOS does actually seem to perform SLIGHTLY better on a cold start, but the fans seem to be working properly. My hunch is that the problem is with a hardware conflict of some sort but I hope to get some input from people who know much more than I do :??: 

EDIT: I should mention I installed XP SP3, which I've learned might cause BIOS problems sometimes.

Any ideas? I feel like I've tried everything I know how to do
May 23, 2010 6:36:22 AM

colep said:
This forum has helped me solve many problems before but this is the first one I've had where I can't seem to narrow down the problem, and I'm sure I've done a lot of stuff to make it worse... I hope someone can help!

Compaq F755US laptop

I had been running Windows 7 on it, and it was running fine. A few months ago I had a problem with a boot loop, but replacing the CMOS battery fixed that up.

I installed Windows XP on a second partition (the one that contained the original factory settings and information which I thought I wouldn't need... stupid, I know). That worked but after a few restarts the same problem where the BIOS was acting really slow and sometimes resarted itself started happening again. I replaced the CMOS battery but that did nothing to solve the problem.

So, I tried to reinstall Windows XP in hopes that that would help. I finally got past the incredibly slow BIOS and started the installation, but it hung up halfway through. Upon restarting, it comes to a "set-up is restarting" screen, but when set-up continues it can't find my optical drive (nor do I seem to be able to boot from CD-ROM). I then tried to install XP on my other partition since that one seemed a lost cause... and the exact same thing happened.

So here I am, with 2 partial installs on 2 partitions, unable to boot from CD-ROM

[#0005ff]Start up again and go into BIOS and reset them back to Default settings, save that and exit BIOS. Then., go back in and change only the setting to allow booting from CD first, save and exit again. That won't have stopped Windows going its own way so you need to use a Linux LiveCD and my personal preference is PCLinuxOS which you cna download free of charge form http://www.pclinuxos.com.

When it's running as a LiveCD, using only RAM and not bothering your hard disk at all, click to install it and a utility called DrakLive will take over the formatting of the entire drive when you tell it to. That should give you a clean disk with a nnice installation of a viable OS. If you want to get rid of it, pop your XP CD back in and start afresh, allowing it to format the entire disk if you wish.

This may sound like a long way round to the cure but the use of some other Windows based repair CD's aren't encouraged in reputable forums because they aren't licenced by M$.
[/#000ff]
m
l
May 23, 2010 6:36:18 PM

colep said:

Compaq F755US laptop

So here I am, with 2 partial installs on 2 partitions, unable to boot from CD-ROM, with a BIOS that is very slow if it ever loads. The BIOS does actually seem to perform SLIGHTLY better on a cold start, but the fans seem to be working properly. My hunch is that the problem is with a hardware conflict of some sort but I hope to get some input from people who know much more than I do :??: 

EDIT: I should mention I installed XP SP3, which I've learned might cause BIOS problems sometimes.

Any ideas? I feel like I've tried everything I know how to do

Recover your files if possible by putting the hard disk in another XP computer, save your personal files to a CD, DVD, backup service.
Reformat the entire drive and start over. This time don't load XP and 7 on the same computer, it causes a lot of conflicts.
I sincerely doubt that any system cleaner application is going to fix this train wreck.
m
l
!