My 8800GT and RivaTuner

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hey guys,

I just built up my first system, and it runs like a charm. I set up a Riva Tuner profile for my 8800GT, and just wanted to check my settings with you guys to see if they're acceptable.

It runs at between 50 and 52 C within the operating system, internet, etc. So, I have it set to run at 40% below 53. From 54 to 55 it runs at 60%. From 55 to 65 I have it set to 80%. Above 65 and it goes to 100%. So far, for the games I've been running, it has never gotten above 59 celcius with all settings maxed. I attribute these decent temps to the two slot fan coolers I have installed next to it.

I hear the fan spool up when I start gaming, so I know it's pretty much running at 80% during intensive gaming, and 40% for the rest of the time. This isn't too much for the fan, is it? ie: the fan won't crap out on me at these settings, will it?

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
Leaving it on 100% all the time maybe should be fine but from the way you set the profile using Rivatuner (exactly like i did before)that make the fan to spin at 40% for one moment and 60% for another moment and 80% and 100% and then when the heat is drop the fan will spins from 100% to 80% and going up AGAIN to 80% all the way like that...IMO, it will perhaps make the life of the fan shorter.

I'm just afraid that it will be failure faster than we think. But now, I'm not worried anymore cause I've replaced the stock fan with aftermarket cooler and it works great reducing temp.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

It gets easier with time, my Tuniq Tower 120 fan is slightly louder so I don't here mine. But then again you have a louder fan to start with, I'd put an aftermarket cooler on yours so its cooler and quieter.

http://www.zalmanusa.com/

rhs88gq0.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-12-27

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Regarding the noise: one of the primary reasons I set up a fan profile was because of the noise. I would have no problem letting it run full tilt all the time, but it gets a little distracting. During games, with all the gun fire and explosions, I'm not really bothered by the fans howling away...hell, I don't have time to be. But when I'm on the internet late at night, typing to all my Tom's Hardware buddies, that whine can get a bit grating.

I get the "aftermarket cooler" recommendation quite often. Given that I have EVGA, and want to retain my warranty and step-up, I cannot install an aftermarket cooler.

In retrospect, the longest I've ever run a single graphics card was somewhere between two and three years. I highly doubt that within that time a ball bearing fan would fail, regardless of settings.

mrwoo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I assume you are using some triggering method, probably using thresholds on you gpu temp in the hardware monitoring. You probably have your fan profiles set, a launcher made for each, and then set your temps to trigger the launcher for a certain %. That is what I did.

The comment about fan % goes up, then down, then up can be quite true.

How about some more tweaking then?

Some of the newest drivers pose some different issues, but I will tell of using 163.xx drivers and RT 2.05.

Let us now create an underclock for normal OS use. Plenty of FAQ and
Guides around, but in 2D mode, drop your core and memory down to as low as it will go. Save as profile like Low2D. Make a Power 3D profile, to be normal speeds of core and memory, save as like High3D. Make launcher for each, appropriate name.

In hardware monitor area, show Core Clock\ROP domain and Memory Clock. Under Core clock, make a threshold. With numbers of coreclock being 2D = 270 and 3D = 570, the threshhold will be inbetween, at 500. On core crossing upward, launch high3D, which brings memory up to full speed. When quit 3D app, core drops to 2D speeds, and threshold downward triggers low2D profile.

Now you have less heat for normal use because of underclock. If using good driver, clocks go up as 3D app starts.

Now to the heat. Assume you have 3 fan profiles, 60, 80 and 100. Make 3 thresholds for gpu core temp in hardware monitor area. Above 60c launch 80, above 65c launch 100, below 55c lauch 60. Of course your temps will be similar but not exactly the same. This is different in that you idle now underclocked at 60% fan at 55c <. Good. Now when Crysis starts, temp goes upward to 61, and fan turns to 80%. Maybe you peak at 64c. NP. Fan stays at 80% until 55c < is reached, then back to 60%. But you may get temps to say 67c. At 65c, 100% fan has turned on. Good. Now, the difference. Fan stays now at 100%, maximum cooling UNTIL temp goes to 55c <. When will temp go to 55c <? When leaving 3D app.

So, if you need 80, you will get it until you leave 3D app or app is not pushing system. When you need 100% you get it until same occurs. No more up, down, up, down. Only up, or maybe all the way up, until definately need to go down. Even in menu's of a game, older method causes up & down. This method much less likely to cause this to happen.

Good luck. RT is great app.

MrWoo

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

I guess you don't know then.... If you go to EVGA's website you see that EVGA allows you to change your GPU cooler as long as you keep the stock one and in the event you have a failure just reinstall the stock cooler back on and send it in. This isn't the first time I have heard this from other posters, reread the warrenty rules. You can call EVGA if you need proof that its ok as long as you cause no damage.

There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.
EVGA will cover all return shipping back to the customer for the RMA replacement with free ground shipping through UPS in the United States and free FedEX Ground shipping to Canadian Customers.*

It says, "damage during any type of Aftermarket cooling installation", damage being the key word.

I get the "aftermarket cooler" recommendation quite often.

That is because most eveyone knows that its ok to install an aftermarket cooler and still keep your lifetime warrenty.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Agreed, this is all correct.
I put a VF900 and modified sinks on my eVGA 8800GT SC. As long as your careful installing this is a non-issue.
cooler on the card
ramsinks come with cooler, mosfets available seperate
fullyinstalled.jpg

I use these on mine
image00011zk5.jpg