Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard ram capacity issue

Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2010 8:14:41 AM

i have an EMAXX mobo EMX-AMD780G-PRO with a maximum ram capacity of approximately 3GB

is there a way to released the maximum ram capacity of my mobo?

thanks in advance and more power
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 8:26:48 AM

Quote:
i have an EMAXX mobo EMX-AMD780G-PRO with a maximum ram capacity of approximately 3GB

The maximum capicity for system RAM is 8GB according to the MB manual, Page 5.

Quote:

Page 5 lays out the RAM specifications for the 780G chipset.

Quote:

Back at 'cha. :sol: 

Note: XP is capable of addressing 4 GB. A 64 bit OS would be necessary for anything more.
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:32:49 AM

mine is xp home 32bit

oh btw thanks for the quick reply :love: 
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 8:34:42 AM

zycom said:
mine is xp home 32bit

oh btw thanks for the quick reply :love: 

The most common OS on the planet.
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:41:00 AM

sorry but i dont get it at all

what do i need to do to use the maximum capacity of my mobo?

i have 2 sticks of ram 2GB each but when i look into mycomputer properties

the ram reading says it only has 3.25 of ram
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 8:41:18 AM

XP does fine with 2GB for most any task. Power users may want to install 2 x 2GB and max out the system for heavy tasks like video encoding and such. XP will not address any more than 4GBs and part of that address space is taken by other hardware like a video card needing part of the 4GB limited memory address space. So, XP with 2GB of available system memory is fine for most users. I have many XP systems with 2GB system memory installed.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 8:53:45 AM

zycom said:
sorry but i dont get it at all

what do i need to do to use the maximum capacity of my mobo?

i have 2 sticks of ram 2GB each but when i look into mycomputer properties

the ram reading says it only has 3.25 of ram

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 6:46:19 PM

zycom said:

You can only access 3GB using XP operating system. If you install Vista or Win 7, (and I can't imagine why anybody would) you can access 6GB. There is no way to change that.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2010 7:11:03 PM

The amount of Memory addressed has to do with whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. It doesn't matter if it's Windows XP, Vista or 7.
m
l
May 26, 2010 2:20:26 AM

Zycom you gotta upgrade to windows xp 64-bit if you want to see all 4GB of ram
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 9:53:49 PM

You don't want XP 64bit. If you did go 64 bit, you'll want Vista or Windows 7. Then you can use far more than 6GB of RAM.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 3:09:05 AM

Quote:
The amount of Memory addressed has to do with whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit. It doesn't matter if it's Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Quite true. But if the 32 bit OS supports memory extensions such as PAE, then even a 32 bit OS could go beyond 4 GB. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to most versions of windows 32 bit.
m
l
!