Sign in with
Your question

boot disk failure and other problems?? Help appreciated

Last response: in Storage
November 7, 2008 4:08:36 PM

Here are my specs and the story will follow.

Abit Fatal1ty AN8 m/b (old I know-socket 939)
AMD x2 4200+, 2gb patriot RAM
winxp pro, ati 3850

Bios is the latest available.

Problem started a few days ago when the computer started freezing. I was in the process of downloading a program but even if it downloaded, it was never installed.

Wife was the one who noted the problems while I was at work.

Anyways, when I returned home the following has happened.

Windows was not working and the computer froze therefore I restarted it. Upon restarting, I got the message 'boot disk failure, insert cd.'

I flashed the m/b bios, removed the battery, even pulled out the 4 sticks of RAM and reseated them.
Upon restarting, I received a "CMOS checksum error." I went into the bios and noted that the current date and time was incorrect and corrected that.

Now upon restarting, no checksum error, no boot disk failure message. Windows screen loads but never completely. There seems to be the BSOD that flashes a message very quickly that I can never read and then the computer restarts. In the next cycle, I get the message to now try and load in safe mode, but even with this I can never get to a working screen and it reboots until the safe mode screen each time.

So what is the damn problem? M/B, HDD, new m/b battery? Can I adjust some settings in bios?

If it is a HDD failure, can I retreive the info for another HDD?

I am pretty saavy about computers but out of my league with this one....

November 7, 2008 9:05:43 PM

Looks like you have what we know as "boot loop". Its normally caused by 1 of 2 things. You either have bad sectors on you hard drive and that is causing data loss in parts of windows needed to boot and run or you have data loss due to a non mechanical problem like a virus or malicious file deletion. There are other things that can cause this but those 2 are most common.

You need to run Seatools from Seagate on the hard drive to see if it has bad sectors. If it does not then try doing a repair install of windows. If it does have bad sectors then you can run spinrite (google it) and try to recover the bad sectors. If you got this far and bad sectors were repaired the copy data off the drive ASAP or even image it to another drive.
November 8, 2008 12:16:54 AM

rozar said:
Looks like you have what we know as "boot loop". Its normally caused by 1 of 2 things. You either have bad sectors on you hard drive and that is causing data loss in parts of windows needed to boot and run or you have data loss due to a non mechanical problem like a virus or malicious file deletion. There are other things that can cause this but those 2 are most common.

You need to run Seatools from Seagate on the hard drive to see if it has bad sectors. If it does not then try doing a repair install of windows. If it does have bad sectors then you can run spinrite (google it) and try to recover the bad sectors. If you got this far and bad sectors were repaired the copy data off the drive ASAP or even image it to another drive.

It may not be this difficult.

1. if and I mean IF it is a seagate hard drive will the seatools repair faulty sectors. If it is....and it does find and repair bad sectors, all you need to do it boot with your XP cd and choose the recovery console. Once you have the C:\ prompt...simply type chkdsk /p. this will run a tool that checks for file corruptions and will repair them. this works for me time and time again with clients machines. If it is not a seagate hard drive, then you can run a little program called HDD regenerator that will repair bad sectors on any HDD with any file system.

god luck!!
Related resources
November 8, 2008 2:31:52 PM

Thanks for the help so far. Here is an update.

The hard drive is a WD 500gb SATA HDD.
I videotaped the endless loop that now keeps happening and the BSOD gives the following message:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Restart if this is first time, check to make sure hard/software properly installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
November 8, 2008 6:57:42 PM

salraf said:
Thanks for the help so far. Here is an update.

The hard drive is a WD 500gb SATA HDD.
I videotaped the endless loop that now keeps happening and the BSOD gives the following message:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Restart if this is first time, check to make sure hard/software properly installed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Either spinrite or HDD regenerator will fix faulty sectors on this drive. Then run your XP cd in the recovery conole and run chkdsk /p which will fix file errors and I believe you should be good to go. Keep in mind that either of the above mentioned programs will take some time to run on a 500GB drive.
November 8, 2008 7:49:45 PM

If you have bad sectors you are very likely to get more. After you repair the drive with Spinrite or another program to fix bad sectors Image the drive if you can. The boot and run chkdsk with the drive you just imaged. If you just try to use it again it may or may not work even with chkdsk. Bottom line if it has bad sectors you need to either RMA it or replace it. Dont use it.
!