January >$1000 build

agamemnonuo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Planning on a new computer sometime in January. This build will be mainly for gaming. For now I won't be getting into the really high resolutions or anything, but I hope they would atleast be playable in the future if I end up getting a better monitor or something. I most likely wont go out of my way to SLI. I do plan on overclocking some. Got a few questions as to some of the equipment.

Processor - For now I am looking at the q6600. I know a lot of people will argue about a faster dual core, but I have read that many of the larger game companies should be supporting all number of cores hopefully soon. I know Valve is a big supporter of quad core. Depending on how well the q9450 does when it is released I might possibly go for that. Hopefully when these newer 45nm processors are released prices will drop some on the older processors. If I go with a q6600 should I be able to reach 3gHz pretty easily?

Cooler - To help hopefully keep temps down to reach 3gHz I plan on getting the Tuniq Tower 120. I have read tons of good reviews on this CPU cooler. It is pretty large and I am somewhat concerned if the size will be an issue when putting it all together.

Case - Antec 900 seems to be a pretty cheap case with some cooling potential. I've also been looking at the NZXT Zero. Any other suggestions?

Motherboard - Maybe a Gigabyte GA P35 Rev 2.0? Anyone have good things to say about these? Seems to be pretty fairly priced.

Graphics card - Most likely I will be getting an 8800GT 512MB. A few other possibilities are the Radeon 3850 or 3870 or the new G92 based 8800GTS. I guess for now if the price is right, and the performance somewhat similar, I could get a 256MB version of any of these that support it. I have heard that the 8800GT's run hot. Should I look into an aftermarket GPU cooler?

Memory - Probably whatever is priced the fairest at 2 gig 800mHz with 4-4-4-4 timings. Hopefully it will be something that can be overclocked some.

Power Supply - Would an OCZ GameXStream 700 Watt be adequate? I believe it was rated a Tier 2 PS.

Hard Drive - I have read mixed reviews on the Western Digital Raptor 10000RPM drives. Most do say that loading times for games are cut signifigantly. If I went this route I would probably buy one small 72 or 36 gig drive and install windows on it and reuse my larger HD in my computer now. My other thought was a Barracuda.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
CPU: Fine. I think ClubIT has the G0 stepping version which you definitely want if you're going to overclock the quad.

Cooler: Good cooler

Case: I own that case my self. Damn sexy and still remains cool even with the fans on the lowest settings.

Motherboard: Try the GA-P35-DS3L or R

GPU: The 8800GT is a single-slot cooler, so it is more hot than the dual-slot goodness of the 3870 or 8800GTS 512MB. You can get the 256MB GT, but if you run at resolutions higher than 1440x900, I wouldn't recommend it.

Memory: Crucial Ballistix has some nice 2x 1GB packages.

PSU: That would work, even overkill a little bit. You can try a 500, 550, or 600 and be just fine.

HDD: Install your OS on the Raptor as well, just partition your storage to a larger drive. I hear mixed reviews on the Raptors though - some saying that there are 7200 RPM drives that work just as fast, but I don't have any experience in this field... best to let someone else give you a correct answer. :p

agamemnonuo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Thanks for the feedback

I will most definately try and get the G0 stepping version of that q6600. Anyone have any suggestions on this or the newer Penryn processors?

I will probably buy that case today on Newegg. $59 dollars and free shipping with a promo code.

Whats the difference between those mobos?

I will more than likely get that 8800GT 512MB unless the new GTS's go down in price. I will probably go with an EVGA one and incase the new 9 series gets excellent reviews, I can use their upgrade program. How exactly does it work?

If the Ballistix memory is on sale at the time I will certainly pick them up. I read a lot of good things said about this memory and overclocking.

I guess for a PSU I could drop down to a 600 Watt if it's much cheaper. Any ideas if anything of the future will require much more power?

Anyone have anything to say about the hard drive? How are the 7200rpm 32MB cache SATA drives compared to the Raptors?

agamemnonuo

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
With the delay of some of the Penryn processors should I bother waiting until they are released or go ahead and start looking for deals now?

I am looking for a USB wireless adapter of some kind to reach my father's place to my house (about 200 or so ft away with many trees/objects in the way). Unless there is something that will reach fine I will probably end up running USB cable up on a pole and weather proofing a case of some kind to get above some of the trees. Are there any suggestions? I looked around for a comparison of what all they have but can't seem to find much.

Thanks for any help