Old Compaq PC with 9600Pro graphic card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Compaq
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2007 12:33:19 AM

Hi, i need to repair the computer of my uncle.

He has an old Compaq 5004ca. The videocard he had was a 8MB Nvidia TNT2 Vanta LT. I have to change it because the card isn't working anymore. That card was a PCI. I want to install a 9600Pro AGP but U can get it to work. The computer doesn't recognize it at all. So I installed an other crappy PCI video card to see what was wrong. First I looked in the bios if there was something about the AGP slot. There was nothing. So i did a bios update. I didn't see any change after the update except the bios date. So i did a clear cmos because i saw that alot of people had resolve the problem by doing this but nothing again. After that I looked in Everest and it say that the AGP slot is disable. Everest say that the motherboard is compatible 1x,2,4x and the 9600 is compatible 4x/8x so it should work. Usually, i can reactive the agp slot in the bios but there's nothing. I also update the chipset driver but the AGP slot was still disable.

I have no more idea on what to do. The 9600Pro worked proprely in a other pc. My uncle can't afford to buy a another PC so i really need a solution

Thx in advance for your answer.

More about : compaq 9600pro graphic card

a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2007 1:06:53 AM

First of all, who's Everest? Second, the TNT2 is AGP:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docn...

It sounds like the AGP is fried. If a PCI card is working, just install that. Considering what it had, I don't think your uncle really needs a 9600Pro card or would really notice a difference anyway.
December 27, 2007 3:10:34 AM

Everest is a program that give you information on you system like Aida32 or Sisoft Sandra

The information on the TNT2 that I gave was wrong. It's the information that is on the case. The card was a Video88PCI32Plus. It's still a TNT2 but it is a PCI Card. The original TNT2 must have been replace but i don't know the reason.

The card that I installed is a crappy cirrus logic 2mb so he can't even play the old game that he was playing with the TNT2. I have nothing else than that and the 9600pro.

The thing that I don't understand is that there should be something in the bios about the agp slot no?

PS: Sorry for my bad english
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2007 3:28:09 AM

Yes, there should be. I'm working on an old Gateway M866 and it had an option to switch from PCI to AGP. It's generally listed in the advanced options of the BIOS's of that era. It sounds like the BIOS is set to use a PCI GPU first and not an AGP. Fixing that in the BIOS should solve your problem.
December 27, 2007 4:12:22 AM

Unfortunatly, that option is not there. The bios seem to only have the minimum. Do you think that it could be in an hidden menu or something like that?.
December 27, 2007 6:36:57 PM

Anyone else has an idea?
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2007 6:50:32 PM

I will be booting up an old Compaq by tomorrow. I'll check out the BIOS and see where it's located.
December 28, 2007 7:28:32 PM

Ok thanx
December 28, 2007 8:12:08 PM

Your best bet for help is to search all over the motherboard for it's model number. Not the model of the Compaq but the model number and hopefully the manufacturer of the motherboard itself. It should be printed somewhere on the motherboard.

I would also make sure there is no dust clogging up the AGP slot.
December 29, 2007 3:51:44 AM

I looked on the board for what you asked. The brand is Uwave. There's also a sticker with 786K1 on it. So I did a little search and I think the board is a FIC AZ31. I don't really know what i can do more with that. I found a .pdf about that board. The bios is an award. It's not the ccrappy compaq one. I don't think that i could flash the bios with the FIC one instead of the compaq one.

PS: The AGP slot is clean.
December 30, 2007 8:10:32 PM

runswindows95 do you have some news?
December 30, 2007 8:25:33 PM

I would advise that you don't flash the motherboard's proprietary BIOS. If your uncle can't afford a new computer as is, the last thing you would want to do is fry the BIOS and render the computer useless.

When you plug in the 9600Pro, can you get into the BIOS setup and get an output on the screen? I'm wondering if the AGP slot is disabled or does not have drivers, which would make it a software problem and not a hardware problem.
a b U Graphics card
December 30, 2007 10:50:57 PM

Nope, been too busy with work and drinking to boot up the old Compaq.
December 30, 2007 11:08:32 PM

It look like hardware because i can't go in the bios. The screen stay black all the time with the 9600.
December 31, 2007 12:18:21 AM

The video card is correctly insert in the slot.

I am using XP.

I don't think it's the driver because i can't even go in the bios so the problem must not be reliated to the OS but to the AGP slot that is disable. Ill try to desinstall the driver if I have the time tought.
December 31, 2007 1:04:26 AM

Did you click on my link? They show you a shot of the bios settings....

You should remove all the old drivers before putting in a new video card, but I guess if the old card did not work that might have been a problem.
December 31, 2007 1:45:50 AM

Yes i clicked on your link. I know what a normal bios look like. The compaq bios that i have doesn't look like that at all. I think I will take pics of it when I will have the time.
December 31, 2007 2:12:38 AM

MaxSk8 said:
Yes i clicked on your link. I know what a normal bios look like. The compaq bios that i have doesn't look like that at all. I think I will take pics of it when I will have the time.

The best thing to do is take a break from it for a while and then look at it again later. There have been times I had a hard time figuring some thing out and the solution was right there in front of my face but I just kept missing it.

Then I would give up and then the next day try again and I was like hey that it what it was.....ha....how did I miss that.

If you can get your hands on another video card, an AGP or a pci card to test that might be the next step. If that one does not work you are on the right track if it does work it might be the 9600 video card that is having a problem.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 2:36:44 AM

heh its very rare to see a "fried agp slot" - more likely the 9600 has hit a funny bone with the system and doesnt like it - compatibility issues! its rare but it happens, i have and old pentium pro system and i got two pci cards for it - a 9250 64mb pci and a FX5200 128mb pci, the ATi will not work in the system, the FX5200 - perfect, this is all for a massive benchmark database im working on, i can see how well all the generations scale :D 
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 3:52:10 AM

and btw this is why "Plug and Play" is more like "Plug and Prey"
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 4:23:24 AM

I think you will need minimally a 350 watt PSU. Be sure you have ample power for that card. It would require more than your previous setup.

Other that that, it sounds to me something couldve gotten damaged on the video card during handling or installation. I had an ATI X850XT to crap out on me between installations but fortunately it was still under warranty and two weeks later I got another card and was back in business.

I have two of those for sale on ebay now if you want another shot at a known working card:

This was the one I used on my main system for a while:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9600XT-128MB-Video-Card-w-Arcti...

This one was for my sons pc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9600XT-256MB-Video-Card_W0QQite...

I have gotten rid of all of my AGP stuff with the exception of my media center pc still sporting my ATI X850XT.

Hmm, I think you are out of the US, right? Shipping could be expensive and I dont have that as an option but you could send a question and I can change the options if needed.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 4:33:47 AM

englandr753 said:
I think you will need minimally a 350 watt PSU. Be sure you have ample power for that card. It would require more than your previous setup.

Other that that, it sounds to me something couldve gotten damaged on the video card during handling or installation. I had an ATI X850XT to crap out on me between installations but fortunately it was still under warranty and two weeks later I got another card and was back in business.

I have two of those for sale on ebay now if you want another shot at a known working card:

This was the one I used on my main system for a while:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9600XT-128MB-Video-Card-w-Arcti...

This one was for my sons pc:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ATI-9600XT-256MB-Video-Card_W0QQite...

I have gotten rid of all of my AGP stuff with the exception of my media center pc still sporting my ATI X850XT.

Hmm, I think you are out of the US, right? Shipping could be expensive and I dont have that as an option but you could send a question and I can change the options if needed.

An AcBell 300w can run an 8600GT - im sure whatever psu he has can run a basic AGP card ;) 
December 31, 2007 4:51:07 AM

Sorry englandr753, it's almost the same card and the card was working the last time i tried it in a other PC. I will may be tried it again but my PC is PCI-Express so i will have to find a other one.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:11:21 AM

That may be true but there are lot lesser cards that require a 450 watt PSU...
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:15:01 AM

englandr753 said:
That may be true but there are lot lesser cards that require a 450 watt PSU...

such as?
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 5:55:07 AM

Heres one refererence:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=39313&pid=...

It appears that if you are using a 9600xt you "might" be ok with a 250 watt but I see some suggestions for a 300 watt. If you get into the 7xxx series nvidia cards then the requirements start going up to a 350 watt "quality" power supply.

A lot of people dont have a quality power supply so the requirements are sometimes ramped up higher than actually needed to compensate for it.

So to correct myself there arent lesser cards that need more power, but there are other agp cards that need more power than your power supply may provide. I was originally trying to say to be sure and check the power supply you have, if it is a 100 or 200 watt power supply you will want to upgrade it to around 350 watts to be safe.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 6:08:08 AM

englandr753 said:
Heres one refererence:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=39313&pid=...

It appears that if you are using a 9600xt you "might" be ok with a 250 watt but I see some suggestions for a 300 watt. If you get into the 7xxx series nvidia cards then the requirements start going up to a 350 watt "quality" power supply.

A lot of people dont have a quality power supply so the requirements are sometimes ramped up higher than actually needed to compensate for it.

So to correct myself there arent lesser cards that need more power, but there are other agp cards that need more power than your power supply may provide. I was originally trying to say to be sure and check the power supply you have, if it is a 100 or 200 watt power supply you will want to upgrade it to around 350 watts to be safe.

Lesser cards? All the cards listed are bigger then a 9600 series card so ofcourse it will require more power.
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2007 6:17:04 AM

I stated the correction for the 9600 in my previous post. There are other AGP cards that require more power than the 9600 so if he decides to go with another card he will need to know this...

It appears that PC comes with a 250 watt PSU and you should be ok with that one with the 9600 XT card.
December 31, 2007 8:23:32 AM

If you don't have options to enable AGP in the bios, then perhaps there's an incompatibility with that board that requires a 2x/4x, even though a 4x/8x AGP should ideally work?

If you can't find information specific to that board to resolve the AGP situation, then look for another PCI card.

There are several cards at Newegg that would equal the 9600 Pro in graphics capabilities. Something along the line of a 6200 would work fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So, you should recommend your uncle spend the money to upgrade. If he absolutely can't, then find another relative to help out. If it still doesn't work, Newegg customer service is good and you could get a refund.
December 31, 2007 8:30:46 PM

I found him an other pc for free that can run diablo II in games like that that he need to run. I'm still trying to get that card working in the compaq tough.
!