Anyone think the ATI HD wondercards are worth the cost?

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 30, 2005 11:58:43 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6122986/
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 11:58:44 PM

On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:43 GMT, RobH <Rob@aol.com> wrote:

>http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6122986/

Mine was $149. Installed without incident and works fine - even though
it is not supposed to work on W2K. Using Raedon 9550 video card and
Athlon 1800+ with 1/2 GB RAM, 19" LCD display. Best looking video here
is from FOX, with PBS second. NBC and ABC HDshows are OK but not
remarkable....haven't seen any sports on them. No CBS DTV in market
yet.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:50:33 AM

Don't buy it,, I was a nightmare to install,,
But once you get it install, it record HDTV fine if you have a strong
signal,,
And make sure you have alot of disk space on your HD just to watch it. 8
gigs per hour
If you plan on capturing and editing, go with something else as my biggest
problem is sound matching up with the video.

DrSpider

PS,, Please don't just post a URL address as your message,
May 31, 2005 2:16:07 AM

"DrSpider" <DrSpider@DrSpider.com> wrote in

> Don't buy it,, I was a nightmare to install,,
> But once you get it install, it record HDTV fine if you have a strong
> signal,,
> And make sure you have alot of disk space on your HD just to watch it.
> 8 gigs per hour
> If you plan on capturing and editing, go with something else as my
> biggest problem is sound matching up with the video.
>
> DrSpider
>
> PS,, Please don't just post a URL address as your message,

Thanks, you saved me $200.
May 31, 2005 2:16:08 AM

>Thanks, you saved me $200.
Just for your info, I bought it at Buy.com for 138.00 - $10 from a
dealnews coupon, with free shipping and no tax. Total to my door is
128.99.

For that price I don't mind giving it a try and then returning it if
it doesn't work out.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 3:14:46 AM

Abe <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in news:n87n91phit3q3h4itqf94c1rbtib3bhmgc@
4ax.com:

>>Thanks, you saved me $200.
> Just for your info, I bought it at Buy.com for 138.00 - $10 from a
> dealnews coupon, with free shipping and no tax. Total to my door is
> 128.99.
>
> For that price I don't mind giving it a try and then returning it if
> it doesn't work out.

Well let us know how you like it.
May 31, 2005 3:14:47 AM

>> Just for your info, I bought it at Buy.com for 138.99 - $10 from a
>> dealnews coupon, with free shipping and no tax. Total to my door is
>> 128.99.
>>
>> For that price I don't mind giving it a try and then returning it if
>> it doesn't work out.
>
>Well let us know how you like it.

Will do. It'll arrive at the end of the week.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:02:27 AM

"RobH" <Rob@aol.com> wrote in message
> "DrSpider" <DrSpider@DrSpider.com> wrote in
>
> > Don't buy it,, I was a nightmare to install,,
> > But once you get it install, it record HDTV fine if you have a strong
> > signal,,
> > And make sure you have alot of disk space on your HD just to watch it.
> > 8 gigs per hour
> > If you plan on capturing and editing, go with something else as my
> > biggest problem is sound matching up with the video.
> >
> > DrSpider
> >
> > PS,, Please don't just post a URL address as your message,
> >

> Thanks, you saved me $200.

They were $150 last time I was at Best Buy. He saved you $150 if you can't
keep XP running correctly &/or follow installation instructions. Not saying
it shouldn't be easier but it is doable.
Signal is determined mostly by the antenna, it's not the card. I'm happy
with my reception and feel its as good or better than you should expect for
something that is basically "rabbit ears". You really can't expect to get a
Channel Master and a 30' tower with a PCI card.
Yes you want a big HD if your going to PVR/capture HDTV with any
hardware/program. If you really don't want to use it as a PVR get WatchHDTV
from the AVSFORUM. It's free and I've posted the link here before.
Audio sync issues can be fixed by getting Quartz.dll from M$. It affects
other brands of multimedia cards too. Why you have to ask them for it and
they email it to you in a password protected file is beyond me.
I'd buy another one for my next computer build if it did QAM.
YMMV
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:11:38 PM

"Phil Witt" <w4imm@charter.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:43 GMT, RobH <Rob@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6122986/
>
> Mine was $149. Installed without incident and works fine - even though
> it is not supposed to work on W2K. Using Raedon 9550 video card and
> Athlon 1800+ with 1/2 GB RAM, 19" LCD display. Best looking video here
> is from FOX, with PBS second. NBC and ABC HDshows are OK but not
> remarkable....haven't seen any sports on them. No CBS DTV in market
> yet.

Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because of
something M$ isn't updating on it. Some may be able to use it but it may
end up biting them in the *ss. I'd post a link but can't get on it now.
I had it working on W2K for an evening. Next day when I booted up it
wouldn't run so I ran out and bought XP. I preferred W2Kbut probably won't
May 31, 2005 11:11:39 PM

"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message

> Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
> of
> something M$ isn't updating on it.

Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates legacy
versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
legacy versions of their applications? I think not.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:54:31 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:11:38 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>"Phil Witt" <w4imm@charter.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 30 May 2005 19:58:43 GMT, RobH <Rob@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6122986/
>>
>> Mine was $149. Installed without incident and works fine - even though
>> it is not supposed to work on W2K. Using Raedon 9550 video card and
>> Athlon 1800+ with 1/2 GB RAM, 19" LCD display. Best looking video here
>> is from FOX, with PBS second. NBC and ABC HDshows are OK but not
>> remarkable....haven't seen any sports on them. No CBS DTV in market
>> yet.
>
>Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because of
>something M$ isn't updating on it. Some may be able to use it but it may
>end up biting them in the *ss. I'd post a link but can't get on it now.
> I had it working on W2K for an evening. Next day when I booted up it
>wouldn't run so I ran out and bought XP. I preferred W2Kbut probably won't

I guess a couple of months. I don't use it frequently - just for
monitoring the station where I work. Have to be able to tell the
viewers, "Yes it is working," when they email me to complain in the
middle of some prime-time program.

The laughable remote control doesn't work because I am not running XP,
but all other functions seem fine, including the two-item program
guide. It seems quite sensitive because I am only using the little
el-junko inside antenna that came with it. Get good results with all
of the local channels from 3 to 25 miles away.
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 11:54:32 PM

> On Tue, 31 May 2005 19:11:38 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>>"Phil Witt" <w4imm@charter.net> wrote in message

>>> Mine was $149. Installed without incident and works fine - even though
>>> it is not supposed to work on W2K. Using Raedon 9550 video card and
>>> Athlon 1800+ with 1/2 GB RAM, 19" LCD display. Best looking video here
>>> is from FOX, with PBS second. NBC and ABC HDshows are OK but not
>>> remarkable....haven't seen any sports on them. No CBS DTV in market
>>> yet.
>>
>>Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
>>of
>>something M$ isn't updating on it. Some may be able to use it but it may
>>end up biting them in the *ss. I'd post a link but can't get on it now.
>> I had it working on W2K for an evening. Next day when I booted up it
>>wouldn't run so I ran out and bought XP. I preferred W2Kbut probably won't
>

> I guess a couple of months. I don't use it frequently - just for
> monitoring the station where I work. Have to be able to tell the
> viewers, "Yes it is working," when they email me to complain in the
> middle of some prime-time program.
>
> The laughable remote control doesn't work because I am not running XP,
> but all other functions seem fine, including the two-item program
> guide. It seems quite sensitive because I am only using the little
> el-junko inside antenna that came with it. Get good results with all
> of the local channels from 3 to 25 miles away.

Please don't tell us you are an engineer at a broadcast station and your
only means of monitoring your off air signal is via a $150 PCI card and a
pair of "stereo" computer speakers! I know it's probably true at yours and
at most stations, but it's a sad state of affairs.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:10:17 AM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:36:22 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
<tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:

>Please don't tell us you are an engineer at a broadcast station and your
>only means of monitoring your off air signal is via a $150 PCI card and a
>pair of "stereo" computer speakers! I know it's probably true at yours and
>at most stations, but it's a sad state of affairs.

I won't tell you that. I stated "prime time." That's when I'm home. I
won't buy an HDTV receiver until we begin using COFDM.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:10:18 AM

> On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:36:22 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
> <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
>
>>Please don't tell us you are an engineer at a broadcast station and your
>>only means of monitoring your off air signal is via a $150 PCI card and a
>>pair of "stereo" computer speakers! I know it's probably true at yours and
>>at most stations, but it's a sad state of affairs.
>
> I won't tell you that. I stated "prime time." That's when I'm home. I
> won't buy an HDTV receiver until we begin using COFDM.

You'd think the station would furnish you with a decent receiver for your
home. At any rate...I'm sure you could write it off your taxes! :)
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:05:55 AM

Phil Witt wrote:
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:36:22 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
> <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
>

>>Please don't tell us you are an engineer at a broadcast station and your
>>only means of monitoring your off air signal is via a $150 PCI card and a
>>pair of "stereo" computer speakers! I know it's probably true at yours and
>>at most stations, but it's a sad state of affairs.
>

> I won't tell you that. I stated "prime time." That's when I'm home. I
> won't buy an HDTV receiver until we begin using COFDM.

My condolences.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:09:07 AM

Charles Tomaras wrote:
> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
>>of
>>something M$ isn't updating on it.
>

> Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
> not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates legacy
> versions of their products?

Think linux, and the upgrades are free.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:09:08 AM

"Matthew L. Martin" <nothere@notnow.never> wrote in message
> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
>>>of
>>>something M$ isn't updating on it.
>>

>> Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
>> not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates
>> legacy versions of their products?
>
> Think linux, and the upgrades are free.

Ok, touche ...so how does the ATI card work with your upgraded version of
Linux?
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:15:24 AM

Phil Witt (w4imm@charter.net) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I won't tell you that. I stated "prime time." That's when I'm home. I
> won't buy an HDTV receiver until we begin using COFDM.

Wow, so you aren't going to ever buy a stand-alone OTA receiver.

--
Jeff Rife | Coach: What's doing, Norm?

| Norm: Well, science is seeking a cure for thirst.
| I happen to be the guinea pig.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:59:02 AM

"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
> > of
> > something M$ isn't updating on it.
>
> Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
> not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates
legacy
> versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
> legacy versions of their applications? I think not.

I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can read
a lot into a $.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 8:59:03 AM

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K
>> > because
>> > of
>> > something M$ isn't updating on it.
>>
>> Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
>> not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates
> legacy
>> versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
>> legacy versions of their applications? I think not.
>>
> I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can
> read
> a lot into a $.

So you are saying it was a typo?
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 10:01:55 AM

Charles Tomaras wrote:

>>I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can
>>read
>>a lot into a $.
>

> So you are saying it was a typo?

Just why are you so defensive of Microsoft? I would think that they are
more than capable of defending themselves.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 1:04:50 PM

> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>
>>>I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can
>>>read
>>>a lot into a $.
>>

>> So you are saying it was a typo?
>
> Just why are you so defensive of Microsoft? I would think that they are
> more than capable of defending themselves.

I live in Seattle. I know countless Microsoft employees. Probably half my
production work is Microsoft related though I don't work directly for
Microsoft. Due to all of those factors I know what Microsoft, Bill Gates and
the people who work there are really all about which compels me to call
bullshit on people who constantly try to take them down a notch because they
are such a successful and talented company. I can clearly state that NO
other company has provided the volume of legacy support for hardware and
software than Microsoft has...period. Any other assertion is just nonsense.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:01:23 PM

> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message

> >> Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft
for
> >> not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates
> > legacy
> >> versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
> >> legacy versions of their applications? I think not.
> >>
> > I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can
> > read
> > a lot into a $.
>
> So you are saying it was a typo?

I'm saying you have an over active imagination.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:01:24 PM

> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote in message

> for
>> > legacy
>> >>
>> > I was warning him he might have a problem using W2K. You certainly can
>> > read
>> > a lot into a $.
>>
>> So you are saying it was a typo?
>>

> I'm saying you have an over active imagination.

Maybe you should look at your unconscious use of the $ symbol when referring
to Microsoft in the same vein as someone who uses racial slurs without
thinking about them or actually meaning them. If you intend on slighting
Microsoft then by all means use the "slur" and accept whatever response you
intended to get. If you just use it because it's a habit that you can't seem
to break you should give it a bit of thought because it does offend me and
quite a few people whether intentional or not.

Charles Tomaras
Seattle, WA
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:01:25 PM

Charles Tomaras wrote:

> Maybe you should look at your unconscious use of the $ symbol when referring
> to Microsoft in the same vein as someone who uses racial slurs without
> thinking about them or actually meaning them. If you intend on slighting
> Microsoft then by all means use the "slur" and accept whatever response you
> intended to get. If you just use it because it's a habit that you can't seem
> to break you should give it a bit of thought because it does offend me and
> quite a few people whether intentional or not.

Welcome to Usenet. You may need to grow a thicker skin.

A great many I/T professionals like Microsoft and use its products
regularly. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, been a very
good thing for the I/T industry. Then again, many of them haven't been
around long enough to know what the industry was like before Microsoft
came along.

A great many other I/T professionals avoid Microsoft products whenever
possible. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, done
enormous damage to the industry.

Apparently you fall into the first group. I'm sure Bill appreciates your
support.

I know a LOT of Microsoft supporters, and I do find that most of them
really haven't looked much farther. Your mileage may vary.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:01:26 PM

"Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>>

>> Maybe you should look at your unconscious use of the $ symbol when
>> referring to Microsoft in the same vein as someone who uses racial slurs
>> without thinking about them or actually meaning them. If you intend on
>> slighting Microsoft then by all means use the "slur" and accept whatever
>> response you intended to get. If you just use it because it's a habit
>> that you can't seem to break you should give it a bit of thought because
>> it does offend me and quite a few people whether intentional or not.
>
> Welcome to Usenet. You may need to grow a thicker skin.
>
> A great many I/T professionals like Microsoft and use its products
> regularly. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, been a very
> good thing for the I/T industry. Then again, many of them haven't been
> around long enough to know what the industry was like before Microsoft
> came along.

I remember very well. My mother's Kaypro applications had difficulty
communicating with the Osborne applications they used in her office...and
the Selectric correction ribbon on the typewriter kept getting twisted when
we used certain font balls.

> A great many other I/T professionals avoid Microsoft products whenever
> possible. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, done enormous
> damage to the industry.
>
> Apparently you fall into the first group. I'm sure Bill appreciates your
> support.
>
> I know a LOT of Microsoft supporters, and I do find that most of them
> really haven't looked much farther. Your mileage may vary.

So are you saying you use the $ symbol at every opportunity to make a point?
If so, then you should make sure your skin is thick enough to accept some
feedback on that behavior. This is Usenet, after all, and I reserve the
right to make comment about my feelings to anyone who offends me.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:28:34 AM

Charles Tomaras wrote:
> "Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message
>
>>Charles Tomaras wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe you should look at your unconscious use of the $ symbol when
>>>referring to Microsoft in the same vein as someone who uses racial slurs
>>>without thinking about them or actually meaning them. If you intend on
>>>slighting Microsoft then by all means use the "slur" and accept whatever
>>>response you intended to get. If you just use it because it's a habit
>>>that you can't seem to break you should give it a bit of thought because
>>>it does offend me and quite a few people whether intentional or not.
>>
>>Welcome to Usenet. You may need to grow a thicker skin.
>>
>>A great many I/T professionals like Microsoft and use its products
>>regularly. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, been a very
>>good thing for the I/T industry. Then again, many of them haven't been
>>around long enough to know what the industry was like before Microsoft
>>came along.
>
> I remember very well. My mother's Kaypro applications had difficulty
> communicating with the Osborne applications they used in her office...and
> the Selectric correction ribbon on the typewriter kept getting twisted when
> we used certain font balls.

Thanks for providing such an excellent demonstration of my point.

> I reserve the
> right to make comment about my feelings to anyone who offends me.

Knock yourself out.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 1:28:35 AM

> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>> "Jim Gilliland" <usemylastname@cheerful.com> wrote in message

>>>Welcome to Usenet. You may need to grow a thicker skin.
>>>
>>>A great many I/T professionals like Microsoft and use its products
>>>regularly. Many of them feel that Microsoft has, in general, been a very
>>>good thing for the I/T industry. Then again, many of them haven't been
>>>around long enough to know what the industry was like before Microsoft
>>>came along.
>>
>> I remember very well. My mother's Kaypro applications had difficulty
>> communicating with the Osborne applications they used in her office...and
>> the Selectric correction ribbon on the typewriter kept getting twisted
>> when we used certain font balls.
>
> Thanks for providing such an excellent demonstration of my point.

So...enlighten all of us and tell us about the good old Morse Code days of
your youth!
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 11:41:28 AM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:31:22 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
<tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:

>"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
>> of
>> something M$ isn't updating on it.
>
>Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
>not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates legacy
>versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
>legacy versions of their applications? I think not.

what's your problem ?

win2k service pack 4 isn't enough of an update ?

take your attitude to ATI and ask them what their problem is.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:34:32 PM

<neo-com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 18:31:22 -0700, "Charles Tomaras"
> <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
>

>>"T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Recently on the avsforum an ATI rep said they didn't support W2K because
>>> of
>>> something M$ isn't updating on it.
>>
>>Apparently from your use of the $ sign you have a beef with Microsoft for
>>not updating their 5 year old OS? Is there any OS maker that updates
>>legacy
>>versions of their products? Are there many software makers that update
>>legacy versions of their applications? I think not.
>>

> what's your problem ?
>
> win2k service pack 4 isn't enough of an update ?
>
> take your attitude to ATI and ask them what their problem is.

Exactly! I think directed your comments towards me instead of the original
poster.

!