Drivers - please clarify

I'm totally confused about definition of "motherboard drivers". This post
derives from answer(s) to post elsewhere, but it's a separate
subject/question for clarification, so I can understand and act on advice
given. I'm not an idiot, just don't have an in-depth degree in computerese.

What is meant when responders say "installing XPPro (on existing/working PC)
requires mobo drivers re-installed" -

I have various CD's (came with PC) including an Asus CD (A7V266E m/b) but
can't find a "motherboard driver" plus PC manufacturer "restore" disk
including anonymous files in "drivers" folders.

PC is 3 years+. None of the CD-supplied files/docs relate to XP drivers.
altho it came with XPHome pre-installed.
2 years ago, sound chip CMI8738 partially failed - spent months trying
various "updated" drivers, gave up, deactivated, installed Creative sound
card, works fine.
Couple of years ago, updated BIOS to 2002 version 1005.
A year ago, installed USB2 card (with its XP driver) which worked fine in
XPHome. Then, crashed the hdd, installed new hdd and simultaneously, XPPro,
SP2 and all later, since which (despite Device Manager saying everything's
OK) it only works at USB1 speed (with splash screen saying device would work
better if plugged into USB2 port, which it is already in).
System is devoid of all malware and fully protected with AV and various
other utilities - never infected.

Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please, WHAT
drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files are
pre-XP). The link
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard" driver -
just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.

Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral to
the m/b, really)
So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.
12 answers Last reply
More about drivers clarify

    M/B drivers = chipset drivers.

    For the A7V266e you would be looking for the Via 4in1 drivers from Via. They
    have different versions, so be careful. I have used both VIA_4in1437v(a) and
    also VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V451v. There are newer available.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner
    "If you knew as much as you think you know,

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:45:38 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > I'm totally confused about definition of "motherboard drivers". This post
    > derives from answer(s) to post elsewhere, but it's a separate
    > subject/question for clarification, so I can understand and act on advice
    > given. I'm not an idiot, just don't have an in-depth degree in computerese.
    >
    > What is meant when responders say "installing XPPro (on existing/working PC)
    > requires mobo drivers re-installed" -
    >
    > I have various CD's (came with PC) including an Asus CD (A7V266E m/b) but
    > can't find a "motherboard driver" plus PC manufacturer "restore" disk
    > including anonymous files in "drivers" folders.
    >
    > PC is 3 years+. None of the CD-supplied files/docs relate to XP drivers.
    > altho it came with XPHome pre-installed.
    > 2 years ago, sound chip CMI8738 partially failed - spent months trying
    > various "updated" drivers, gave up, deactivated, installed Creative sound
    > card, works fine.
    > Couple of years ago, updated BIOS to 2002 version 1005.
    > A year ago, installed USB2 card (with its XP driver) which worked fine in
    > XPHome. Then, crashed the hdd, installed new hdd and simultaneously, XPPro,
    > SP2 and all later, since which (despite Device Manager saying everything's
    > OK) it only works at USB1 speed (with splash screen saying device would work
    > better if plugged into USB2 port, which it is already in).
    > System is devoid of all malware and fully protected with AV and various
    > other utilities - never infected.
    >
    > Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please, WHAT
    > drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files are
    > pre-XP). The link
    > http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
    > above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard" driver -
    > just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.
    >
    > Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
    > BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
    > terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
    > CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral to
    > the m/b, really)
    > So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
    > Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.

    When motherboard drivers are installed - the operating system can
    communicate with and facilitate features supported by the motherboard.
    These drivers are software. They are separate from the instruction code
    that is resident in the system board's chips.

    If you repair install your operating system, those drivers should remain
    intact. However if having trouble with base system functions covered by
    those drivers, reinstalling them can "fix" files that may have lost their
    registered information or that were overwritten.

    If you replace or clean install your current operating system, the
    motherboard drivers need to be reinstalled. OEM CDs customized for a
    particular PC and its original motherboard include those drivers so the
    process is transparent. (Note: An OEM *might* offer updated drivers in
    their online driver download section. Should periodically check for update
    offerings.)

    Otherwise, the user reinstalls the drivers from a separate cd or from
    downloaded installation files. While XP might have suitable drivers for
    these things in its included driver base, the drivers from the manufacturer
    are usually more complete.

    Example: When I run my motherboard's driver install CD I get options to
    install: onboard sound driver, onboard lan driver, SmB driver, chipset
    drivers and IDE controller drivers. I recently did a clean install of my XP
    setup. My board is a couple of years old now so instead of using the
    provided CD to reinstall these drivers, I downloaded and installed newer
    versions available from the web site for my motherboard. Typically updated
    drivers include improvements and/or bug fixes.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

    > M/B drivers = chipset drivers.
    >
    > For the A7V266e you would be looking for the Via 4in1 drivers from Via. They
    > have different versions, so be careful. I have used both VIA_4in1437v(a) and
    > also VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V451v. There are newer available.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm totally confused about definition of "motherboard drivers". This post
    > > derives from answer(s) to post elsewhere, but it's a separate
    > > subject/question for clarification, so I can understand and act on advice
    > > given. I'm not an idiot, just don't have an in-depth degree in
    > > computerese.
    > >
    > > What is meant when responders say "installing XPPro (on existing/working
    > > PC) requires mobo drivers re-installed" -
    > >
    > > I have various CD's (came with PC) including an Asus CD (A7V266E m/b) but
    > > can't find a "motherboard driver" plus PC manufacturer "restore" disk
    > > including anonymous files in "drivers" folders.
    > >
    > > PC is 3 years+. None of the CD-supplied files/docs relate to XP drivers.
    > > altho it came with XPHome pre-installed.
    > > 2 years ago, sound chip CMI8738 partially failed - spent months trying
    > > various "updated" drivers, gave up, deactivated, installed Creative sound
    > > card, works fine.
    > > Couple of years ago, updated BIOS to 2002 version 1005.
    > > A year ago, installed USB2 card (with its XP driver) which worked fine in
    > > XPHome. Then, crashed the hdd, installed new hdd and simultaneously,
    > > XPPro, SP2 and all later, since which (despite Device Manager saying
    > > everything's OK) it only works at USB1 speed (with splash screen saying
    > > device would work better if plugged into USB2 port, which it is already
    > > in).
    > > System is devoid of all malware and fully protected with AV and various
    > > other utilities - never infected.
    > >
    > > Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please, WHAT
    > > drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files are
    > > pre-XP). The link
    > > http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
    > > above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard" driver -
    > > just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.
    > >
    > > Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
    > > BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
    > > terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
    > > CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral to
    > > the m/b, really)
    > > So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
    > > Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.

    In simple language device drivers contain the individual hardware and
    software instruction of the device you use.
    For Example. A bus in which you travel requires a driver to drive the bus
    properly .
    Similarly The device in which you work has the device driver which acts as
    a bridge between your O.S.-Device - Giri@St.Paul

    OK, thanks ... problem is, I'm back at square one. Using the link
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx , selecting search "socket
    A", then " A7V266E", then "Downloads" tab, then the "all" tab, gets me to
    the relevant d/l's from Asus. The very last item is the Via 4-in-1 version
    4.37 you refer to, BUT it's for W2000 and previous - no mention of XP
    compatability. Also, it's v4.37, not 4.37(a).

    You advise care (and believe me, I am careful) so I would not routinely
    install non-XP drivers, knowingly.

    You also mention Hyperion 4-in-1. Using the link given via Everest pc
    "chipset" report, gets to the Hyperion d/l site.
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070
    Lo and behold! - exact same problem. Hyperion 4-in-1 (v4.56v) is only
    specifying OS support up to W2000, HyperionPro 4-in-1 (massive d/l, >5mb)
    does include XP, but reading the blurb it says DON'T d/l it unless you need
    RAID etc functionality - which I don't. There's also a "retro" (v 4.43 dated
    2001) but again, no mench of XP.

    Please advise, which is correct for me, Asus W2000 driver, or Hyperion
    W2000/NT driver ? And, if it all goes pear-shaped, how to restore existing
    (99% working) set-up?

    There's a really old joke - How to confuse an Irishman - show him a
    selection of spades and say "Take your pick". How relevant to the non-pro
    pc user community, advice to "update drivers" only to find the "driver
    updates" don't specify current O/S's. This is a general analogy, not a
    criticism of the advice (it's the sites which are not specifying OS's, not
    the advisers).

    Thanks again for the help, please reply ... Regards, Len

    "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > M/B drivers = chipset drivers.
    >
    > For the A7V266e you would be looking for the Via 4in1 drivers from Via.
    > They have different versions, so be careful. I have used both
    > VIA_4in1437v(a) and also VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V451v. There are newer
    > available.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Quote from: George Ankner
    > "If you knew as much as you think you know,
    >
    > "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm totally confused about definition of "motherboard drivers". This post
    >> derives from answer(s) to post elsewhere, but it's a separate
    >> subject/question for clarification, so I can understand and act on advice
    >> given. I'm not an idiot, just don't have an in-depth degree in
    >> computerese.
    >>
    >> What is meant when responders say "installing XPPro (on existing/working
    >> PC) requires mobo drivers re-installed" -
    >>
    >> I have various CD's (came with PC) including an Asus CD (A7V266E m/b) but
    >> can't find a "motherboard driver" plus PC manufacturer "restore" disk
    >> including anonymous files in "drivers" folders.
    >>
    >> PC is 3 years+. None of the CD-supplied files/docs relate to XP drivers.
    >> altho it came with XPHome pre-installed.
    >> 2 years ago, sound chip CMI8738 partially failed - spent months trying
    >> various "updated" drivers, gave up, deactivated, installed Creative sound
    >> card, works fine.
    >> Couple of years ago, updated BIOS to 2002 version 1005.
    >> A year ago, installed USB2 card (with its XP driver) which worked fine in
    >> XPHome. Then, crashed the hdd, installed new hdd and simultaneously,
    >> XPPro, SP2 and all later, since which (despite Device Manager saying
    >> everything's OK) it only works at USB1 speed (with splash screen saying
    >> device would work better if plugged into USB2 port, which it is already
    >> in).
    >> System is devoid of all malware and fully protected with AV and various
    >> other utilities - never infected.
    >>
    >> Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please, WHAT
    >> drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files are
    >> pre-XP). The link
    >> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
    >> above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard" driver -
    >> just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.
    >>
    >> Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
    >> BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
    >> terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
    >> CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral
    >> to the m/b, really)
    >> So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
    >> Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.

    Bless you, Sharon - always a pleasure to read you! But - I hadn't a problem
    understanding that drivers are software instruction sets, nor that a "device
    driver" (by definition) is an instruction set for a specific device. What
    was throwing me was "motherboard" drivers (terminology - what does that
    mean?)- turns out that " motherboard" and "chipset" (in this context) are
    synonymous. I wasn't sure whether BIOS was also classified as a motherboard
    driver either, even though that's an EEPROM hard-coded instruction set, not
    a software driver - so, clearly not.
    Additional problem (discussed elsewhere in this thread) is that so-called
    driver "updates" do not specify that they're good for XP.

    Take your point that had I been restoring an original system, the
    manufacturer's "restore" disk (might have) loaded all the required drivers,
    but dispute that the process is "transparent" (assuming by this, you mean
    visible) - it would certainly have been automatic, but certainly not
    possible to see what exactly was loaded. However, that was not the case - I
    loaded a new XP-Pro onto a virgin hdd, and must have done something right,
    as the system is currently 99% perfect and 100% stable. The on-board sound
    problem pre-existed, it's only the USB2 problem which is "new" since XP-Pro.

    My only problem now is - getting the correct updated chipset driver, having
    established that "motherboard" and "chipset" are one and the same thing.

    Best regards, Len

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:36:52 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    > Bless you, Sharon - always a pleasure to read you! But - I hadn't a problem
    > understanding that drivers are software instruction sets, nor that a "device
    > driver" (by definition) is an instruction set for a specific device. What
    > was throwing me was "motherboard" drivers (terminology - what does that
    > mean?)- turns out that " motherboard" and "chipset" (in this context) are
    > synonymous. I wasn't sure whether BIOS was also classified as a motherboard
    > driver either, even though that's an EEPROM hard-coded instruction set, not
    > a software driver - so, clearly not.
    > Additional problem (discussed elsewhere in this thread) is that so-called
    > driver "updates" do not specify that they're good for XP.
    >
    > Take your point that had I been restoring an original system, the
    > manufacturer's "restore" disk (might have) loaded all the required drivers,
    > but dispute that the process is "transparent" (assuming by this, you mean
    > visible) - it would certainly have been automatic, but certainly not
    > possible to see what exactly was loaded. However, that was not the case - I
    > loaded a new XP-Pro onto a virgin hdd, and must have done something right,
    > as the system is currently 99% perfect and 100% stable. The on-board sound
    > problem pre-existed, it's only the USB2 problem which is "new" since XP-Pro.
    >
    > My only problem now is - getting the correct updated chipset driver, having
    > established that "motherboard" and "chipset" are one and the same thing.

    I understand the confusion factor. I think part of it is due to the fact
    that terminology in this area is painted with a very wide brush.
    "Motherboard drivers" can be referring to one or two drivers or many if the
    board is loaded with extras. "Chipset drivers" and "motherboard drivers" is
    often used interchangeably although it could be argued that chipset drivers
    is narrower in its scope.

    By "transparent," I meant that the user sees no hint of motherboard drivers
    specific to their system being loaded when using the OEM install/recovery
    CD. I guess I should have said that this isn't always the case but it is
    the more common practice.

    USB problems: There seems to be quite a rash of USB problems lately. USB2
    was not standardized when XP was first released. Support was added later
    via Service Packs. Going by the number of posts I'm seeing lately about
    USB2, I would say there are still some rough edges to this newer standard.
    Hard to say if it's due to XP's implementation or in vendor provided USB2
    drivers. It probably varies from case to case.

    You have a USB2 card. Those are usually more solid since they've had their
    own drivers since before USB2 was added to XP. Because of that (normally
    solid drivers), I'm surprised that you have had trouble with your card and
    have been following this thread with interest. Is there any info at the
    Creative site about your USB2 card model in relation to SP2?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    > Is there any info at the
    > Creative site about your USB2 card model in relation to SP2?
    Creative ? That's the new sound card ! The driver disc for the USB2 card
    rejoices in the title "Via solutions for USB2 PCI Host Card" ... card itself
    has no mfr name (and the box is llong gone) but it's a Via chip.

    On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:19:34 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:

    >> Is there any info at the
    >> Creative site about your USB2 card model in relation to SP2?
    > Creative ? That's the new sound card ! The driver disc for the USB2 card
    > rejoices in the title "Via solutions for USB2 PCI Host Card" ... card itself
    > has no mfr name (and the box is llong gone) but it's a Via chip.

    Ah, well, then creative wouldn't have any news would they? ;)

    Is there an FCC number on the card? Can often look those up and connect it
    with a manufacturer. Not that you need anything else to deal with right now
    but it's possible that they have updated drivers that are more compatible
    with SP2...

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Why don't you type VIA drivers into Google as they are the manufacturer of
    the chipset and drivers.

    --

> [...]
    >>> System is devoid of all malware and fully protected with AV and various
    >>> other utilities - never infected.
    >>>
    >>> Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please, WHAT
    >>> drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files
    >>> are pre-XP). The link
    >>> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
    >>> above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard"
    >>> driver - just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.
    >>>
    >>> Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
    >>> BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
    >>> terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
    >>> CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral
    >>> to the m/b, really)
    >>> So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
    >>> Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.

    Another droplet of info - FCC numbers actually MEAN something !! You are a
    treasure-trove of info. Thanks. Will investigate further ( it's 01.40, just
    got in after a few beers with friends - NON pc type.
    Sincerely, Len

    > On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 16:19:34 GMT, Yabbadoo wrote:
    >
    >>> Is there any info at the
    >>> Creative site about your USB2 card model in relation to SP2?
    >> Creative ? That's the new sound card ! The driver disc for the USB2
    >> card
    >> rejoices in the title "Via solutions for USB2 PCI Host Card" ... card
    >> itself
    >> has no mfr name (and the box is llong gone) but it's a Via chip.
    >
    > Ah, well, then creative wouldn't have any news would they? ;)
    >
    > Is there an FCC number on the card? Can often look those up and connect it
    > with a manufacturer. Not that you need anything else to deal with right
    > now
    > but it's possible that they have updated drivers that are more compatible
    > with SP2...
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Try this (it's for all Windows versions):
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=1&CatID=1070
    Remember to take the last one, the "Retro chipset VIA 4in1 drivers" ver.
    4.43 as you can read in the comments:
    (The driver package below is recommended for use with the following
    chipsets: MVP#, Apollo Pro## series, KT1##, KN1##, KM1##, KT2##, KN2##,
    KM2##, P4X2##, P4X3##, P4M2##)

    Found this by going:
    www.viaarena.com -> drivers -> MS Windows -> Windows XP -> Chipset or
    platform drivers
    Searched at 09:10 EasternEuropeanTime Sun July 22.
    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Yabbadoo" <nospam@thank.you> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > >>
    > >> Everyone's saying I should have re-installed mobo drivers - please,
    WHAT
    > >> drivers? The CD doesn't define a "motherboard" driver (and all files
    are
    > >> pre-XP). The link
    > >> http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
    > >> above is direct to the driver d/l's, but again, no "motherboard"
    driver -
    > >> just updates for BIOS, sound chip, and IDE.
    > >>
    > >> Can some-one please clarify the terminology for me, in simple terms?
    > >> BIOS - is the basic board OS prior to looking for a pc o/s (in simple
    > >> terms) - easier to type BIOS so unlikely to be "m/b driver"
    > >> CMI8738 driver - is exclusively for the on-board sound chip (peripheral
    > >> to the m/b, really)
    > >> So, what is/are "motherboard drivers"?
    > >> Other than CMI8738 and USB2, system's working perfectly, no conflicts.

    OK - Thank you all for your input. I now have a modicum of understanding of
    the subject, have located/installed updated chipset drivers (and, for good
    measure, the "add-on" VIA USB2 support driver for XP.

    The 2 USB2 card ports are now working, however, the brand-new USB2 hub is
    not. It has no driver, the documentation states it's for XP and that XP
    would automatically recognise it.
    It is recognised by XP Device manager, but only as a generic (USB1) hub.
    Since these "updated" drivers, a new problem - the hub, even with its own
    power supply in, now yields the error "USB port power exceeded" (without
    anything in, is reported as "working OK" but only as generic, not under the
    USB "enhanced" heading). I emphasise, this is a new error - before the new
    drivers, earlier today was still working albeit at USB1.)

    The USB2 device is a flash memory stick, hardly power-hungry - and it works
    fine, at USB2, in the card port.

    I GIVE UP. Still baffled why this USB2 configuration worked in XPHome and
    not XPPro.

Drivers Motherboards Windows XP