P35 DQ6 - Onboard **AND** Offboard Ethernet Stopped Working

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
So, the other day, my Gigabyte p35-dq6’s onboard LAN stopped working. At first, it told me there was a cable disconnected, even though this wasn’t the case(I checked the cables, they work with other computers). Then, after a reboot, the computer couldn’t detect a network adapter at all.

So, after some frustration, I went and bought a cheap 10/100 NIC, and installed it. Windows Vista detected it, and I installed the driver. However, it gives me the same “Cable Disconnected” error.

I’m using a Linksys wireless router. It’s working fine for 1 wireless computer, and 1 wired computer. It has lights that indicate which of the 4 wired ports have computers connected. When I connect my computer to the cheap NIC and boot up, the light on the router for my computer shows green, as if it were connected. Then, once the Windows boot-up screen comes up, the light abruptly turns off, and doesn’t come on again. The computer insists that there is a cable unplugged.

This mobo was working fine for 4 months. Does anyone have any ideas? It has also just started to do something else weird: when I turn off the computer in Vista, the OS shuts down, and some of the internal fans turn off… But the system doesn’t power down all the way. I have to hold the power button to shut down completely.

Any ideas? Please? I REALLY don’t want to RMA this thing, or pay another $250 for a new mobo when I already paid for one…

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Did you try going into device manager and disabling the onboard from there? Or disable it in the bios? Sometimes things are finicky, might be on the new one you installed, it could be seeing the old one, and that could be causing probs with the new one.

Click Start/Windows
In the search box type: CMD
When the dialog pops up, type: netsh winsock reset
press the enter key
restart your comp

That should restart the communications stack.

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Scotteq: That didn't work.

I'm going to ry installing a wireless network card. However, I'm pretty sure it won't work. When that fails, maybe I'll try installing XP. Vista sucks ass anyways...

your system is going into sleep mode dumbass.

Well... Given that the other two devices you have aren't working, it's probably safe to say that your prediction will come true, and your wireless NIC will fail as well.

The next suspect would be your firewall software. But since you don't seem to want to pursue this further, Good Luck with that OS reinstall.

Are you overclocking? If you are, try seeing if you run at default speed if your onboard LAN port will start working. Of course you could also make sure the LAN port hasn't disabled itselft somehow in the BIOS while your at it. I have seen aggressive overclocking cause onboard devices and/or PCI adapter to stop working, especially if the PCI and PCI-E buses aren't locked at 33.33 and 100 respectively.

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Ive had a similar problem before and it was the router, make sure to try plugging into different ports in the back of the router and resetting the router. try a different cable.

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Skittle:

No, dumbass, it is not. I am specifically SHUTTING DOWN, not going into sleep mode. It worked just fine for 4 months SHUTTING DOWN, that way. Now suddenly, the same command to shut down doesn't turn off the power to all components.

Scotteq: Yea, the wireless NIC isn't working either. Installing XP is going to have to wait, because it's freaking expensive.

I've tried different cables, reset the router, etc... Nothing. The router detects the computer, until Vista boots up. Then, there seems to be no connectivity. Ugh.

I'm not overclocking.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Thats actually the first time I've heard of that happening in Vista. I've seen it happen dozens of times with XP. By the sounds of that issue and the hanging up on shut down it sounds like you've managed to corrupt your OS. You can waste your money on XP but there's no reason to believe whether it will affect if this will happen again or not.

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
While I do suspect some sort of OS problem, I'm nto so sure. I use Norton Ghost, and I backed up my C drive as soon as I got things working the way I wanted them back in September. I've restored that a couple of times now, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Y'know, sometimes I feel like there's something about *me* that makes my home-built computers come up with the most bizarre and untraceable errors imaginable. It's like the gods are conspiring to make sure that whatever money I save by building one myself is wasted in replacing inexplicably malfunctioning parts.

Maybe my house was built on an indian burial ground.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Y'know, sometimes I feel like there's something about *me* that makes my home-built computers come up with the most bizarre and untraceable errors imaginable. It's like the gods are conspiring to make sure that whatever money I save by building one myself is wasted in replacing inexplicably malfunctioning parts.

Maybe my house was built on an indian burial ground.

haha sounds like you have my luck. I live by the words "if it CAN happen it WILL" thats is if its bad luck and involves me.

If you think its vista download Ubuntu. Its free linux cd that boots right up as if it were installed on the drive (runs off cd). If it works for ubuntu you know its vista in some way.

Here is a thought, you talked about the shutdown being like standby now. Could be that your network cards are powered down most have that option in XP and I make sure to uncheck that. Vista may have same and the card are just in sleep mode. That would make them there at boot but disapear once OS loaded.

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
OK, so after all kinds of hell(a hard drive went bad when I tried to reformat and install a new OS), I successfully installed an old bootleg copy of XP, and I'm back online. The cheapie 10/100 network card works in XP. However, the gigabit LAN on the motherboard is still dead. XP doesn't even detect its existence.

So, not sure what to make of all this. I'm going to try totally reinstalling Vista(not just re-ghosting the original installation), and see if I can get it to recognize any kind of network adapter again.

If the onboard LAN is really dead, I suppose I'll have to buy a new 10/100/1000 NIC.

weilin

Distinguished
Actually, try this, install intel's latest chipset drivers. Along with it will be PCI controller drivers. The common link between your onboard NIC card and your 3rd party NIC card is that (i think) they both go off the PCI Bus. if that driver is screwed up. Neither thing will work. Do you have any other PCI devices? Do they work? Latest intel chipset drivers located at www.intel.com under drivers and downloads section. Its called chipset installation utility.

nooksack

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

I have the same problem. I hadn't used the computer in a few days, then when I tried, there was no network. Trying different cables/router ports I isolated the problem to the port itself. Vista says there is no cable connected. Device Manager shows no problems with the hardware.

It's a dual-boot machine with XP, when I boot into XP the problem is the same.

I reinstalled the drivers from the Gigabyte CD, didn't help.

I think it might be a hardware problem, but I don't want to admit that to myself. The board's just a few months old. Any other ideas appreciated.

fireant

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007
Personally I think it may be a driver problem as I have the same sort of issues with my GA-P35-DQ6 board.
On board LAN problems persist on this system and have done since I bought it.

The problem I have is the lan just drops out from time to time. Some days it doesn't do it much and on others it comes up constantly with "lan disconnected" in the control panel/network and internet/network and sharing center section.

I am also running vista 32bit.

Steps I have taken to try to isolate the problem are.

Tried two different routers and two different cables.

Tried another hard disk with XP on it .. with the same problems.

Tried installing the latest realtek lan drivers from http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

The problem still persists.

I am currently searching around for more a more up to date chipset driver.
Gigabytes download manager does not seem to be available for this board so I guess I will have to do it the old fashioned way.

I just hope it is not a hardware problem ...

The next thing I will try is getting a new lan card.

Updating the BIOS.

Seeing how well it operates as a Frisbee.

P.S. I am not overclocking.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I would consider a new lan card. I've seen where people have complained about slow connections to internet with dial up. Like more slow than dial up usually is. Board was going silly apparently, install the modem into a different pci slot, and it was like twice as fast. Why? Don't know, never seen that happen before, and I've been working on PC's for years. So never know, I think I'd try the new lan card before the bios, b/c you can get the card for 10 bucks or so, even walmart has them. To me, flashing bios should be last resort as everything works well for you, and though it doesn't usually, there's more that can go wrong in a bios reflash.

benjaminmann

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
For anyone interested, nothing has managed to fix my onboard LAN. I'm just using a new NIC.

Also, the computer's problem with shutting down still persists. It won't turn off all the way without pressing and holding the power button.

I'll live with it until I HAVE to replace the motherboard. And it probably won't be another Gigabyte when I do.

kid2nite

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
I too have the same problem with a brand new GA-P35C. I just put this box together and everything was working fine, ran like water over polished glass. I left for the day and hen I came home my network had disappeared.
I've tried just about everything including all mentioned above. Except installing different drivers...can't install drivers on something that the system says doesn't exist...One of the last things I did before leaving that day was to install the latest version of IE.
If anyone finds a solution please lsit it here. In the meantime I'm going to request a RMA from Gigabyte for the motherboard.

dvd_boost

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Guys, I'm using this board one and a half year without any problems. Bow I have exactly the same problem. Onboard LAN starting and stopping when it decide itself. Actually I noticed that this is happening very often exactly when I'm sitting to work with the PC after it has been rest a while. After my screen saver dissapears it say "LAN cable disconnected", after a few seconds it's comming back but not always. Sometimes I just need to restart the PC to fix the problem until next time. Yesterday I had even much bigger issue: The network controller just disappear and device manager couldn't find it with "search for a new hardware". I reboot in BIOS - there is a function to search for the LAN properties and gives an info about the LAN speed, cable length etc. I was really bad surprised when even BIOS didn't find the Ethernet connection - it just never displayed anything. Unfortunately I have to admit that this mobo takes the night. After I turn off the system totally off (disconnect the power cable), everything came back to normal. I supose that there is some BIOS issue or simply some kind of HW problem - overheating, bad soldering point etc. By the way I'm using XP and please, do not blame the OS, since the basic system fails. Maybe this can help someone - if anyone find any better solution - please share it - I believe you are not alone with this pronlem :-(

ozgur

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Hello Guys,
I'm using AMD Athlon X2 245, Sapphire mobo AMD780V/SB700 Chipset onboard realtek hd audio,ati hd3100 graphics,realtek 10/100 ethernet, 3gb ram, 4x500gb 5400rpm 2,5" hdds raid10, vista x64 sp2.
Using for download and network storage everything works fine excepting onboard ethernet.(realtek)
I'm downloading with Azureus Vuze this is a torrent downloader program and it opens max 100 connections at maximum. Ethernet controller handles 100connections for 10-15mins then its reseting itself blinking leds are stoping for 2secs and I think its reseting itself and goes on to downloading for 10seconds then reset then downloading for 10seconds then reset........ then i opened my case i tried to touch network controller chip :eek: now i think its overheating! i put it on a heatsink with a thermal grease now better but still goes on. Anybody knows a bios or jumper or software setting to resolve this problem? I don't know what's overheating it tcp/ip protocols compressions or anything else maybe?
Thanks for your answers btw sorry for my bad english :/

bilbat

Splendid
Do you know whether your ISP uses bandwidth throttling? Mine does, and that's about what it looks like - goes like hell for a while, then on and off, slowly. Vuze allows you to take some countermeasures - one is to limit your outgoing speed/connections, as they are usually the first to 'hit the speed limit', the second is to encrypt your connections to make it harder for them to detect connection sharing in the firat place. I'm just thrilled - I use Warner Cable (RoadRunner), and they email me all the time to fork over another ten bucks a month to increase my bandwidth, but when I try to use all I've got now - wham! - they throttle!