xanadu

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Hello:

Has any1 had any experience with micro ATX cube cases? I am building a new machine and want a case that is inexpensive, has functionality and decent oomph.

Like the ASPIRE QPACK or the iCute Ibox?
Wud appreciate objective user perspective on -

performance?
how is the airflow?
the 'wow' factor?
difficulty in setting up?
spacious enough for vid cards and boards?
wires long enough?
pictures if any?

The Aspire Qpack seems 2 have mixed reactions at Newegg which turns me off. I am looking at the iCute iBox now.
http://www.icute.com.tw/english/iBox.htm

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Xanadu,

heres a few points:

1: Not a lot of performance is found in a case but air flow will help keep you temps low, although small comapct cases like this aren't great for airflow.

2. As for difficulty setting up, you will find it a bit more tricky as you have a little less room to work with than a standard mid tower case.

3. the chances of you fitting a top range card in are quite slim (eg 8800 gtx) as these are big cards. It should say what it can fit on specs sheet.

4.you shouldn't have any problems with wires as they built to stretch across much bigger cases like full towers.

hope this helps

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Also, you can't put a cooler that sticks out on the top of the video card because it won't clear the railing (top metal piece of the case). Imho, those cube cases are stupid and ridiculous.

I have mostly good things to say about my SFF case.
I'm using an Apevia X-QPACK2. It is a little bigger than the original X-QPACK, and I think you'll want that space. My PSU is a Mushkin 550200, which is a little deeper than standard, but it fits just fine. You'll want a modular PSU to minimize extra wire clutter.
The mobo tray slides out of this case, making building in it relatively easy, although you can't slide it out once you get all the mobo connectors on (like the front panel).
Cooling in this case is provided by two fans, a front 80mm and a rear 120mm. They run quietly, but keep the case temps low. I put one of the two thermal sensors between my hard drives, and right now it is reading 28c. The other one, stuck in the stock CPU cooler fins, is at 30c. I think I've seen them get as high as 35c-36c.
My video card is an HD3870 (may be replaced with an 8800GT though over driver issues).
Now the not so good.
A tower CPU cooler will not fit in this case. This may not matter, but will limit overclocking. The video card can't have a big cooler on it either.
The metal is thin, and bends easily. Although it is sturdy enough when assembled, it is flimsy when apart, and there are sharp edges.
The plastic mesh panels on the front are also weak.
I got a bad power switch on mine, and didn't discover it in time for an RMA since I didn't have all the parts for my build when I got the case.
If you want small and/or portable, this is a case worth considering. If you're planning on serious overclocking, SLI/Crossfire, or great big performance parts, or need more than 2-3 hard drives, then I'd suggest a regular case. I'm going to be rearranging my computer area myself before too long, and will likely choose another case myself just so I can eventually build using a regular ATX board.

xanadu

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Ok any1 using a AEROCOOL case?
The aerocool aeroengine plus? I have read from user reviews that the airflow is not very good.
How do u install a fan in a case?

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

performance - well, it's a box. the power supply sucks.
i replaced it with the Seasonic 430.

airflow - it's got one 120 mm case fan near the CPU.

wow factor - nice to be able to pick colors. they have
2 models, XQPACK, XQPACK2.

difficulty in setting up - room for 3 x 3 1/2" hard drives.

spacious - my 7600GT almost touches the RAM sockets
on an Intel 965 motherboard.

wires - one thing to watch out for if you BYO power
supply is where the wires exit the PS. because it's a
tight space, it relates to the length of the DVD drive.

pic @
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144113

Raviolissimo linked to the X-QPACK; the X-QPACK2 is similar but a little deeper, giving extra room between the PSU and optical drive. It is available with and without windows. It also has the additional 80mm fan in front.
Sorry, I assumed you would be replacing the p.o.s. psu that comes with it; I certainly did.

godsizesnakeyes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2007
Since the first thing that should be done with an X-QPack 1 or 2 is replace the PSU asap you might as well consider a MicroFly without a PSU and save some money for a better power supply.

Silver http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=304&products_id=4647

Black http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=304&products_id=4596

Less than 60 bucks before shipping and its almost identical to the first QPack, the main difference is the micro fly is longer and has 3 pieces to the cover, it's even made by the same manufacture but Ultra offers it without a PSU unlike apevia.

G

I have the following setup which I type this review:

APEVIA X-QPACK-NW-BK/420 Black Aluminum 1.0 w/ ABS plastic front panel MicroATX Desktop Computer Case
ASRock A790GMH/128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor
Zalman CNPS8000 Low Profile Heat Pipe CPU Cooler
Patriot 8gb Kit ddr2 800 - need to upgrade to 1066
IPCQUEEN FAN-SPEEDUP120-B 120mm Case Fan with Speed Controller59253893
SAMSUNG USB 2.0 Slim External DVD Writer
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC PSU
Sapphire Radeon Vapor-X HD 5770 1 GB DDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
SILVERSTONE SDP08 3.5 to 2 X 2.5-Inch Bay Converter
2x Western Digital 250 GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive (Raid0)
Western Digital 500GB GREEN SATA 5200 RPM 32 MB Cache (Back Up) -Wanted to get 2 more of the above drives for raid0 x4
-------

These are the Modifications (no specific order):
2 120mm Fan holes into the top of the case.
Reverse mounted the psu so cold air would be sucked in.
Placed 120mm intake fan in second hole. which sits 1 inch from video card.
Placed High speed 120mm fan in exhaust vent in rear, which also uses fan controller for noise.
CPU running Overclocked to 3.5ghz stable.

Currently Running:
Netflicks, Web Browsers (IE8 and Firefox 3.6), and converting videos.

Temps are currently:
Internal Temp: 42c - 107f average
CPU Temp: 25c - 77f low 47c - 116f full load with prime
GPU Temp: 41c -105f low 60c - at full load constant (not realistic while playing a game.) WHen you play a game it will vary. 41, 53, 52, 48. 55, 60, etc.
HD Temps: wd250 in raid solid 30c - 85f. wd500 33c - 91f
-------

Future Upgrades:
Maybe new X6 or maybe top X4 once price drops again. Not really needed.
Ram upgraded beyond 8gb or faster speed. Not really needed.
Swap motherboard out for something newer.
Maybe ssd raid0, money, ugh.

-------

Advice:
Figure what you're using it for and run within your budget. 3 cores are plenty powerful. I use my machine for a little gaming not too much since I have a PS3. Mostly for Adobe Projects and Video Conversion and Editing. Again, 3 cores are plenty. 6 would be fantastic overkill once it drops in price.

Sincerely,

Glen