SATA RAID 0 on GA-MA69G-S3H...possible to add another SATA drive?

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
I have 2 SATA drives attached to SATA 0 and SATA 1 connectors, and configured as RAID 0, running XP. I'm thinking of replacing my current IDE back-up drive with another SATA drive if this is possible. Can I still add another SATA drive to my system and attach it to either SATA 2 or SATA 3 connector? Sent e-mail to Gigabyte but they have yet to respond. Does anybody have any experience regarding this or similar motherboard? TIA

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Thanks for the reply, but I'm worried that the bios/system would have a problem with a mix of 2 SATA drives already on RAID 0, and another SATA drive, all on one SATA controller. Then I would have a new SATA drive that I can't use :( Have you or anybody else had actual experience with this same situation? Thanks again

Bohoba

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
you got port pairs ie port 0 sata 1 and 2 port 1 sata 3 and 4 check the manual

sata is not like IDE hence no need to master/slave them

hope that helps a bit

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
The manual doesn't say anything about this kind of scenario. I'm sure that for boards with 2 SATA controllers (one is on the southbridge, and the other is a 3rd party like JMicron or Silicon) that usually have at least 6 SATA ports that are color-coded for differentiation, a RAID array can be installed on one controller, and non-RAID drives, HDD or optical, can be installed on the other controller's ports. Without any conflict in the setup or configuration. I have read posts of such actually in use. But my motherboard has the the AMD SB600 southbridge (with 4 SATA ports) only. And there lies my uncertainty if I may simply add a new SATA drive to either of the remaining ports (SATA 2 or SATA 3).

idoc

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2004
Just an update: I successfully installed my new SATA HDD. I initially connected the drive to one of the free SATA ports (SATA 3) and booted into Windows to check if the new drive was recognized: it wasn't. So I rebooted and went into the RAID set-up, and configured the new single disk as JBOD as suggested in another forum. After that, it was just a matter of partitioning and formatting it. Hope this helps others with the same concern