Simple Radeon 3850 power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett_001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hi

This is probably a really stupid question.

My brother has just been given a HIS ATI Radeon HD 3850 card. He has a fairly old PSU without 6 pin PSU connectors on it and I though i just needed a 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E cable/adaptor to power the card.

However on the one i bought the head for the PCI-E end does not fit. There appear to be 3 'rounded' pins and 3 'square' pins on the cable/adaptor but 4 'rounded' pins and 2 'square' sockets on the cards power socket. I'm wondering if i've been sold a 6 pin PSU to 4 pin Molex adaptor instead of a 4 pin Molex to 6 pin PCI-E?

I may be being really dense here so please let me down gently if I am.

If you need more info I can provide more but not sure what else you'd need to know.

I think you bought the wrong adapter. And I was surprised to notice the HIS HD 3850 card didnt include a power adapter cable in the accessory pack. The picture below is the accessory pack for the Asus HD 3850.
14-121-100-02.jpg

You can see the power cable with its black PCI-e header and two 4-pin molex connectors.

A close up of a PCI-e power adapter cable:
pciexpress.jpg

I could not find any 3 round / 3 square 6 pin cable in the short google search I did.

Garrett_001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Cheers...yeah that's what i thought...just gonna check but 90% sure that it didn't include it. I'm quite suprised too that it didn't.

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
My 3850 from DIAMOND did not include the power adapter either, local computer store had it for $6. Although I did send DIAMOND a intresting e-mail for not bundling the obvious.

It may not be necessary to use both molex connectors for the 3850. I've seen a few 3850 accessory packs with custom power adapter cables and they are the single molex to 6-pin PCI-e connector.
14-102-715-08.jpg

Acessory pack for SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB

The 2 molex to 6-pin PCI-e connector is probably a generic part. And it won't hurt anything to hook them both up.

Status
Not open for further replies.