4gb G.SKILL DDR2-1066 at 5-5-5-15
Corsair TX650W PS

I re used these components:

XFX 8800GT
WD Caviar SE16 250 gb
NEC DVD Drive
Seagate 7200.11 320 gb
I also use a 250gb external drive frequently

For the first 2 days it ran great, it was a huge upgrade from my previous system. On the third morning I woke up to a delayed write failure and the torrents I was downloading to the seagate drive had errors. When I tried rebooting it took abnormally long and then when the XP boot screen finally came up it just endlessly cycled. It booted the third time and everything seemed normal (except for the slow boot time). After rebooting numerous times it seemed that it would only boot about 1/5 times with the drive attached. When I remove the drive (the seagate, which only stores media) the system boots fast and 100% of the time.

I downloaded Seagates seatools and ran some tests. It passed the short tests but failed the long test. I then used checkdisk to repair it. Then it happened again, I got the message and started having problems booting with the drive attached.

Could I have it configured wrong? I pretty much thought sata drives were plug and play so I very briefly looked at the bios settings to make sure nothing looked unreasonable. Could the drive be bad? Could the motherboards sata controller be bad? Is there any way I can narrow it down? If you'd like me to give you more information or make something more clear please let me know!

Thanks!

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
look into power issue (power supply OR connector to drive), and data cable issue first. They should be easy enough to rule out. Drive could be bad, but start small.

chrishw

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008

The same power cable is powering both hard drives and seem to be seated properly in both. The data cables also seem to be seated properly, but I'm using the same cables from my older system. Should I have used the sata cables provided with the new motherboard?