Overclocken Q6600 With Asus 750i (P5N-D) Just checking a couple things

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
Ok, Right Now My Q6600 Is Overclocked to 3.6ghz. I have ran Prime95 Small FFT for 4hours everything is stable. But the settings I had were this.

1600FSB - 800Ram (4-4-4-15-2T OCZ 6400 Sli Edition 2X1GB)
Vcore - 1.575
Dram - 2.11
HT - 1.4
NB - 1.44
SB - 1.5

The Cores Never Exceed 66C. Cpu Temp, Never really seen it top 61C. The problem I had was with these settings everything was stable for a very long time, then all of a sudden my motherboard goes BEEEEEEEP. I cant figure out what this was do to .. So I uped My MB Voltages like this.

HT - 1.44
NB - 1.54
SB - 1.5

Right now at idling.. Well watchen a avi, downloading on azureus, and typen on this forum My MB Temp is 38C and my Cpu Temp is 43C. Is that beeep do to the motherboard voltages being to low? I havent had any crashes seince i made those changes I just really need to know so I know.

My Cpu Cooler is a OCZ Vendetta 2, Im Using the NB Heatsink Fan, and I have Enhanced C1E disabled. Im using Real Temp to check my cores' temp - OCZ GameXStream 1010W power supply, the psu isnt the problem I had someone say that.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
With that voltage, I take it that board also has the NVidia legendary maximum intel spec VDroop and drop? Dod you dare try the VDrop pencil mod?? Would lower the volts by alot!

Is something up with the forum posting types? Its doing weird things again!

--Lupi

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
no idea what the vdrop pencil mod is.. The temps are fine though... Im just tryen to figure out if that motherboard sound was because the NB, HT voltages were to low.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Sure, thats fine, lots are much hotter. And the pencil thing is just a mod that alleviates the VDrop and droop on that type of board. Right now you are forced to set your VCore so high so it can idle there most of the time, because when loaded, your vcore drops so low. Thats VDrop and droop.

VDrop applies when you set, say, 1.5000 in the bios.

When you get into windows and check with CPU z, you'll easily note that it is no longer the same! The difference is the initial VDrop.

Then when you run a power intensive program like prime, the VCore lowers even more, thats the effects of vdroop. The total is the un needed amount of extra voltage you need to get to your target stable "Loaded" VCore voltage.

I would appreciate it very much if you reduced the cpu speed a bit, and set it at an easy Bios number and recorded its idle in windows voltage, then also when loaded with prime 95 SMALL ffts on all four cores!! Than record that lower VCore value!

I would really like to know those values!!

--Lupi

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I am a [strike]novice[/strike] beginner at OCing. My sig below is my first OC. So forgive me if i am way off.

Did you read Tom's Temp and OC guides for Core 2 duos and quads?

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

I would think that you would want to lower voltages to keep temps down. The sample in the temp guide has the Q6600 to 3.6Ghz at 1.45v. The guide used a P35, you have 750i. I have NO experience with Nvidia nforce.

I upped my fsb from 266mhz to 400mhz. That took my e7200 from 2.5Ghz to 3.8Ghz then lowered the voltage and tested for stability and temps. The lower voltage kept my temps at 57c max at load, 38c idle. I feel the results are awesome.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
all you people who have not use a nforce mobo should stop giving comment about the vcore being to high.

the Vdrop and vdroop is a very problem in nforce board.and Jlewis what you have is fine.i have oc a E2180 on a 650i i need to set a insanely high 1.5V to get 1.45V in windows idle and load.and that get me only 3Ghz(CPU limit)

to be honest i never install the mobo speaker.i find it useless.if you follow the right way step by step to OC your system.you wouldnt need those annoying beep everytime it turns on.

i have follow your thread from the beginning to here and it seems like you never pin point a problem and then you just move on.sorry for being mean but thats just what it seems like.

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
dude honestly.. The Vdrop Vdroop is only neeed if your not stable.. I seem to be extremly stable right now.. I just want to know if the motherboard going BEEEP was due to the NB, HT voltages being to low.. Seince I brought them up I havent noticed any problems.

JLewis187

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
only thing with Vdrop Vdroop I noticed is you have to not pay atention to people who are like... OH DONT GO ABOVE 1.5... its BS, its a Vdrop on 1.575 on idle typen this, listening to double vision by foreginer, my Vcore is 1.5 Ive been stable ever seince I uped the HT to 1.44 from 1.4 and Set the NB to 1.54 instead of 1.44

greek123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
I just did the pencil mod on my P5N-D motherboard and it reduced Vdrop and Vdroop to .002
which reduced Q6600 temp 10 degrees at 3.60 ghz. To do this mod look for the EPU chip and find
pin one which is designated by a dimple on one side of the chip. Looking at the motherboard from top to bottom find the EPU chip, which will look upside down with the pin one dimple at the bottom right of chip. Now look at the top of the chip oriented as described above. There are several resisters that are horizontal and two that are vertical next to the chip. The right resister of the two horizontal resisters is the one to do the pencil mod on.

If you cannot follow orientation of EPU or do not see the two vertical resisters then DO NOT DO THE MOD. If someone has a camera and can take a picture of the space surrounding the EPU then highlight the right resister this could ensure that people do not do the wrong mod. For those that know something about components the explanation above should be sufficient.