Giant CPU temperature jump

ragsmaloy

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Hi there,

I've got a bit of a strange situation with my CPU core temp and I was hoping someone would have an idea as to just what is going on.

Basically I've got a C2D E6600 OC'd to 3Ghz with a Zalmann on an ASUS P5B Deluxe board which has been working fine for at least a year (CPU idling at 37C, cores at 40C). However recently the CPU temp has occasionally been jumping to 80C though both cores have remained around 37C. The first time this happened I shut my PC of straight away as I was worried about damage, the next time I had a look with Asus PC Probe (I use Speedfan normally as well as to control fan speed) and that also showed a CPU temp of 80C but core temps of 37C. I also had a look in the speedfan logs afterwards and they showed the temperature jumping by about 40C in a second.

2538816640_89340d57b3_o.jpg

This makes me think that it's a temperature monitoring problem as opposed to actual overheating, though it makes me worry that it's a sign that my CPU is about to give up.

Essentially I want to ask has anyone got any idea what could be causing this, and has anyone got ideas for potential fixes?

Thanks

Agree, It is possible to get instantanous readings that are incorrect (aliasing). Could also try CPUID latest version which displays min and max values and Realtemps. They both work great on my system, but I have the Gigabyte 965-DQ6 board with E6400 which has been runing at 3.2 for about 15 Monthes.

Added: I see iluvgillgill beat my to it on Realtemp and robertito on HWmonitor (CPUID)

Iluvgillgill
Agree, You Won - Didn't Catch that HWmonitor and CPUID where one and the same.

While I may be retire, 1st retired military 1983, then when I turned 62. Now looks like I may be going back to work "Causal Time" as a Test and Inigration engineer Tech for a satellite instrument.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
yea i highly doubt your CPU jumped in temps that much. I would only see that happening if your HSFan died. even then it would take atleast a few seconds to get up to 80. on load would be a different story.

I use the program everest, formerly aida32, + the G15 LCD. allows me to monitor temps 24/7 regardless of what im doing on my PC. Highly recommend it if you like to watch your temps and such.

ragsmaloy

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Thanks for all the advice, happily my temperatures seem to be behaving themselves at present but if they should jump crazily again I'll do a bit more investigating with the suggested programs and post up the results

db533

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

I am seeing the same issue. While my system is idling with no usage, the temperature jumps from 42,5 to 85 in a few seconds. Both SpeedFan and PC Probe indicate the same 85 degree temperature. (SpeedFan reports Core0 and Core1 as being around 50 degrees).

I too don't believe that 85 degrees is a real reading and I am particularly suspicious that the new temperature was exactly twice the previous temperature.

Any suggestions what could be causing my CPU temperature to be doubled?

I'm also using a P5B Deluxe/WiFi AP motherboard and Core 2 Duo E6600.