Raptor: extreme noise while booting

santox

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
since a couple weeks my raptor suddenly got noisy during the boot process. everything was normal before, then suddenly it became realy loud.

once the computer is done booting, the noise is gone again. but during boot, the whole computer case is vibrating and it sounds like a lawn mower. its so loud you can even hear it a floor below.

the strange thing is, if i gently hit the case, its silent again for 5 seconds. then it start again.

do i have to expect a dead raptor soon?

PS. its a 70gig raptor, it has the VMem and a couple games on it.

Save everything on it to another drive....RIGHT NOW if you value anything you have stored on it.
It is going to die, could be the very next time you turn on the PC.
RMA means return it, if it is still under warranty.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Back-up all important information, run the manufacturers disk test tool (you may need the report for an RMA request), and check the case for lose screws (etc).
You wouldn't believe the number of times I have had people reporting hard drive noise which turned out to be a case panel resonating.

santox

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
fortunately there is nothing i need to backup on it.

isnt it strange that the noise stops once the computer is done booting? it can run for days then without a single noise. also if i keep hitting the case gently while it boots, the noise doesnt appear.

ill check if all screws are tight, but im pretty sure they are. i guess ill have to return it, i hope the warranty didnt run out yet.

thanks for the response.