Is there a program that I can use to scan my card to see if it is bad?

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Hello all,

I have been fighting with this card for 4 days. The card is a ATI HD 3850 PCI-E. Star Wars Jedi Academy freezes everytime I get into heavy action.And Microsoft flight sim X plays jittery and the terrain looks terrible even on ultra high. Is there a program that I can use to scan my card to see if it is bad?

Thanks!

Dame1701

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I don't know of any program that can test a graphics card to see if it is bad. However, it would be helpful to have some clarification about your Flight Sim issues. Have you run the game before which the graphics looking good on high? If so, then it sounds like your card might be switching to software only mode which can cause the grqaphics to look pretty terrible. In my experience the graphics for Microsoft Flight Sim aren't particularly good, accurate perhaps but not great.

Ok, it sounds like you've just got this card, have you added to a relatively old system, perhaps a system that was previously fitted with a low end card? Your problems could be caused by either a power supply that is faulty or unable to supply the amount of power required by the card, overheating - how well is your system cooled? Have you tried running it with the side panel off? Do you have a large desktop fan? You can try pointing this at the internal components with the side off. If the system runs ok in this configuration it is likely that you need better cooling, or perhaps a better case or maybe you need to have fewer cards inside your system. Are you overclocking anything - if so, try resetting everything back to the defaults and see if you have any joy.

These sorts of problems are nearly always caused by either a lack of power or by too much heat which is either a result of insufficient colling or by overclocking a system beyond its limits.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Have you run the game before which the graphics looking good on high?

No I just got the game and the card. But i did have Jedi Academy running good on my intergrated.

have you added to a relatively old system, perhaps a system that was previously fitted with a low end card

No I just bought this a few months ago it is an HP Pavilion. It origanily had intergrated Nvidia 6150SE.

Your problems could be caused by either a power supply that is faulty or unable to supply the amount of power required by the card, overheating - how well is your system cooled? Have you tried running it with the side panel off? Do you have a large desktop fan? You can try pointing this at the internal components with the side off. If the system runs ok in this configuration it is likely that you need better cooling, or perhaps a better case or maybe you need to have fewer cards inside your system. Are you overclocking anything - if so, try resetting everything back to the defaults and see if you have any joy

I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371004 this PSU. I think it is powerful enough. And my system has no problems with overheating I ran rthdribl_1_2 and the temps were 71 C. I even tried to game with the side panel off but it didn't help. The temps were 34 C. I am not Overclocking anything.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
I don't play Jedi Knight so I don't know about it but I did play MFSX, with my E6320 and 8800GTS 320 before and it crashes to the desktop after the screen freeze for about 2-3 minutes.

I've also asked for help in this forum sometime before...(Can't find the link...sorry) and it appears the problem is the bug from MFSX itself.

Hope this help...

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
that power supply ain't the best, however have you tried atitool.

No it isn't the best but it is good enough isn't it. And I did run atitool for 30 min with no problems. Shouldn't I run it longer?

JKA was a great game, I played online for many years and developed quite a reputation as being particularly difficult to beat :) Only just recently quit... too much drama in the communities :|

What servers do you play on?

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
UPDATE:

Hmmmm....
I installed the Crysis Demo and it played just fine and looked fine too. And as for Flight Sim, It might have just been me thinking that the terrain looked bad. How do I take a screenshot so that I can post a pic of it? Or could someone post some screenshots of the terrain in Flight Sim on their computer? Thanks!

P.S (Killing chickens in Crysis is cool)

EDIT: Maybe the new card is just incompatible with such an old game like JK3?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
It sounds like drivers, or something else software related. If you can run Crysis without any problems, then I doubt it's hardware.

liswara

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006

Try FRAPS
http://www.fraps.com/download.php

Seconded...

mike27466

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Check your card's temp to see if its high it maybe crapping out because of heat! also check to see if the card is seated in the slot correctly!
Sometimes when inserting the card it may be sitting on an angle in the slot.

Test other games that you have and see if they have texture degrading.

I don't think theres anything wrong with your card .

do this to make sure the card will function correctly.

1.Turn off Pc
2. take out card and reinsert it ,making sure it is sitting flush in your slot of momo.
3.start up pc uninstall video drivers
4.restart pc
5.install drivers
6.make sure you have netframe drivers and update momo drivers.
7reboot and test games again.

i know it sounds simple but it may fix your problem

let us know how you go.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Also try driver cleaner to compleatly remove catalyst and then download and install the latest version from amd/ati webpage, if none of this works you can try to RMA your card or a fresh windows install, but both options are a hassle

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Thanks for all your help,

But I think I'm good to go. I looked at other screen shots of flight sim and they looked about the same. As for JK3 I think i'm just out of luck..... and the omega drivers for vista and my card haven't been released yet.