790i SLI Problem Any Ideas?

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I've recently got a new Evga 790i motherboard and when gaming the screen freezes.I have to turn the computer off and on again and get a message telling me that the display drivers have stopped working and that the problem has been resolved but it's making the f'ing thing unusable.When i take out the 2nd graphics card i don't have any problems.I have installed all the latest drivers.Could it be because the drivers aren't quite there yet ? Any suggestions appreciated.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
that clearly is driver problem.try to download the driver direct from nvidia.if problem exist try the beta driver avaiblable.

if would be more helpful if you lsit your full spec.and i guess you are using windows vista.

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
All my specs listed in member config if that helps.This is really doing my head in because ive just splashed out on another g card and i can't use it.

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
bout £3500 the new graphics card was only £150 off ebay. I'm getting over 300 fps on counter strike when it's working and crysis plays very well.much better than the dell xps720 sli i had and had too return they are useless

fergie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
downloaded from guru3d ,evga and nvidia ,it's weird.No problems at all with 1 card.I wouldn't of got the 790i if i didn't want to sli.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
yeah if you want SLI there is no better choice then 790i.because the 780i,750i just a remask of the 680i and 650i.

have you tried the Beta driver though?

to be honest my new rig would be SLI.so 790i is what im looking at.but i will see how things move on.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Do you have the latest bios version?

Also I'd like to back up what 'iluvgillgill' said....get the card drivers direct from Nvida.

comrade

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
A lot of the 790i Ultra boards are having problems with freezing under almost any load!

I've got one with twin 8800GTX OC's in SLI, and it was freezing both with and without SLI. It was freezing in Win XP Pro and Vista Ultimate, both 32 bit versions. Sometimes it would freeze up solid when gaming or using the TV tuner, and sometimes it would freeze just sitting idle.

I RMA'd the first board and I've got the second one in and running, and it's starting to do the same thing. It seems to be less frequent, but it freezes up even with everything running at stock speeds.

If it keeps it up or they don't find a fix soon, I'll be asking for a third board. On the EVGA forums, there are plenty of people who are on their fourth and fifth boards. Many, perhaps even most users don't have any problem, but from the EVGA forums and other board makers forums, it's a sizeable number of the 790 boards th at are having trouble.

There are an almost uncountable number of solutions posted, but most eventually start having the problem again.

The best guess of everybody is that it's a problem with the nVidia chipset, and not the individual board makers.

I guess they also had problems with the early 680's and 780 boards. The computer is fast as hell when it's running...., but without warning, it'll just freeze solid. The video and audio just stop and it doesn't respond to any inputs from mouse or keyboard. All you can do is push the power or reset button and reboot.

It'll start right up again and run fine for perhaps a couple of days, or perhaps a couple of minutes, and then do it again.

For a high-end board, it should at least be rock stable at stock settings!