windows XP not booting up

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
hi all,
its been a while since i have got into a problem.

My system hangs everytime on the " windows boot up" ( at the progress bar, the one where dots are shown moving forward.)they just keep moving and after a while they stop. but the computer can be booted up in safe mode.
i have installed windows xp sp2 professional ed. using 3 4 different Cd's but to no avail.

is it virus or hard disk failure????
plz help....

System configuration:
intel P4 1.33 GHz.
RAM: 128 MB SD RAM
HDD: 80 GB samsung IDE

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Did you do a full format before installing Windows? I'm guessing that the machine did not come with XP Pro and the problem could be not enough RAM. Should have at least 512MB. Could be a driver problem if you can boot into safe mode, could uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the latest version. Run chkdsk /f and see if there are any hdd drive errors. Looking at the specs it could just be dying of old age, you really should look at building a new one. I wouldn't put much money into that one.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
g-paw thanks for the reply.

Actually, the machine is used to do some old office work and nothing more, so buying a new system is the last option.

Also, the system came with windows XP pro. and I am running it for over four years now.

And yes, I did the full format of C drive four or five times and installed a fresh copy of XP every time but the results were same.

As for drivers, they must have gotten uninstalled by the drive format itself. But I think you must be referring to the drivers that windows install. How do I remove those drivers because they dont show up in the control panel?

dwthor02

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
you can go into device mgr and remove the device as you deem necessary. xp should run on 128mb of ram but not well. i would get more memory if you intend on keeping the pc

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Can the RAM pose this problem??
I just wanna be sure coz these days you cant fine SD RAM easily and even if you find them they cost a bomb.

Anyways, I think formatting the drive with NTFS shd solve the problem. I ll do it the tfirst thing I reach home and will keep you all posted.

thanks for the replies dwthor02 and g-paww. :)

dwthor02

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
yea i had a hell of a time with memory on my asus board.....random blue screens of death ect....they seem to like corsair and ocz just fine:)