P5K-E/WiFi-AP: USB Device Over Current Status

shyam

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hi guys,

After restarting my computer (Motherboard is Asus P5K-E/WiFi-AP) I got this error for the first time:

USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!
System will Shut Down after 15 Seconds.

I did a quick Google search on the error and decided to "reset the CMOS" - something I'd never heard off, and didn't really understand, but it has instructions in my manual. I followed the instructions carefully and turned off PC, removed all cables, removed battery (had to remove graphics card first as battery was underneath) and then moved the jumper to 2-3 (well I think it was 2-3 as it was not labelled like that, but I removed the plsatic thing off to the right, from the 3 pins, left it for a bit then put it back.) and then put battery in and tried booting up again.

My boot screen looked a bit different (not sure why I didn't build PC) and then got this error instead, the same but with something added:

CMOS Settings Wrong.
CMOS Date/Time Not Set.
USB Device Over Current Status Detected !!
System will Shut Down after 15 Seconds.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Shyam

shyam

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Thanks, I've seen that thread but the problem is I do not know how to do most the stuff..

Another thing I'm worried about now is that apparantly I have cleared my BIOS it will cause me problems as information will be lost.. What will I have lost?

First recommended solution there is to remove m/b and start it on bench.. it is screwed in lots of places so not really sure what they mean by remove.. does it mean completely take it out? And then do what?

Thanks