Memory Timings Question

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I have a 1900xtx and would like to know how to flash tighter 3d memory timings on to it. I flashed it to be faster already. It is flashed to 702/837 1.5v but, there are people getting 4000 points more then me on 3d mark and I feel this is why because I never was able to figure out how to get the timings tighter in 3d mode. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006

Bump for help please.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
there are people getting 4000 points more then me on 3d mark...
Friend, 'flashing' your vidcard will not add thousands of 3DMarks to its score. Give your head a shake.
ATI is in the best position to setup the product to do battle in the marketplace - why do you think they did not first flash a few thousand more 3DMarks into the vidcard? They like to beat nVidia don't they?
This reminds me of the Miracle Gas Mileage doohicky, guaranteed to decrease your fuel consumption by 20% - what a joke! The General loves to beat Ford, and would certainly include the device (or the miracle oil additive, whatever) at the factory if it truly worked... y'know?
I never was able to figure out how to get the timings tighter in 3d mode.
Now there's a coincidence - neither could the engineers at ATI!
The memory chips selected have their specifications and limitations, and are chosen on the basis of cost/performance ratio. ATI could make them faster but would have to charge you more..
Re: 3DMark
There is '00; '01; '03; '05; and '06...?
My rig gives 6061 3DMarks '06. Anyone scoring ~4000 more (almost double!) has a much more powerful vidcard.
Regards

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
If you watch your memory timings with ATI tool when in 3d mode then 2d mode you can see they are switching. I used to think that me changing them with ATI tool when in 2d mode was the same as 3d mode. I soon cought on and figured out I was wrong and was only changing them in 2d mode. Just a little info for ya there. Personally I think you are wrong and just cocky,, I think there is a way but, have yet to stumble across the thread with the info or a person that wants to share the secret. I have seen in threads where a person shows the details of the bios and you can see there timings for 3d and 2d so,, any way. If anyone out there has info regarding this it again I say, I would greatly appreciate it thanks. I will also add you are probably right I noticed that nopw the highest score is only 1000 more points then mine so, their "futuremarks" system must have glitches in it. I'm willing to bet you are right about it not giving me 4000 points more but, I am willing to bet it can add 500 more though.

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
Why push for points in 3dMark? I used to, but then I tought "as long as I like the way it plays games I am fine."
I noticed that you said they are getting 4000 more points then you, but what are you getting?
I am sure that you can make the memory timings tighter at the risk of artifacting and instability. To me that is not worth it. But if they are getting 4000+ more then you, your problem is elsewhere.
Here are some points that can change the outcome:
What brand are you comparing to, and what do you have?
What chipset are you running, and what do they have?
Who manufactures your motherboard, and how well did they implement the chipset?
What applications do you have running in the background?
How much RAM do you have on your motherboard?
^ Video card?
Who makes the memory on the video card?
What speed is the video memory?
^ how many bits?
What type of processor are you running?
What size is your PSU?
How stable is you PSU?
All things that you should consider before saying "I can't run with the other guy, why?"

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
I will show you what I am talking about as soon as I figure out why their software is so buggy because earlier I was getting 7001 marks now I am getting 5800~ my cpu score is 3501 marks of that... Maybe I need to use their ancient certified drivers.. I will post two links one being my system and one being a similar setup. I renigged my 4000 points more by the way.. now I see after submitting with my 5800~ people with similar setups are only getting 1000 more so,, sorry bout that remark about the 4000 more. That is what their "futuremarks" system was saying at first though so,,,.

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
As far as I can find you have to find a tool to edit a BIOS dump, then flash the card that way. I don't see a tool out to do it.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I think you are wrong and just cocky,, I think there is a way but, have yet to stumble across the thread with the info...
Sorry, heheh... but you did say another ~4000 points :whistle:
Yes I know what you're talking about but, there's really not that much there!
The XTX had high-spec memory compared to the XT (otherwise identical) and I remember the bandwidth increased from ~52 to ~54GB/s or whatever - I forget but as a percentage it was a very small increase, and I thought not worth the extra $100 bucks at the time.
The memory timings are proportional to the memory speed in MHz though; in other words the XTX memchips could run much tighter timings if clocked at XT memchip speeds.
But the XTX memchips have been selected for speed, and run at higher speed, so will be no easier tightening the timings than it would be on XT, or any other vidcard.
Your best 3DMark scores will result from a fresh-booted rig, running lean/clean and tight. Vidcard OCing is easier when increasing vidcard memchip speed; timings however are more 'obscure' and must be safe enough to deal with heavily OC'd vidcard!
So, you're in tough there...
But look, maybe ATI Tool or whatever can fiddle with your settings - rock on! - but take good care, promise me you won't flash the vidcard with new 'miracle' BIOS or overly aggressive settings... don't trash it :cry:
I used to OC in ATI CCC but stability is #1 most important thing - Oblivion doesn't care how many 3DMarks you get, when it crashes - so on the latest CCC I now just leave it non-OC'd.
Anyway: look to your overall rig if you want the big 3DMark numbers. Working with vidcard memchip timings is fraught with deadly perils! LoL :ouch:
L8R

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Thanks man yah there software is buggy to,, I am getting 2000 less points now then I was two weeks ago so. I am getting a new video card in a couple of weeks that will be better :). The only thing holding me back is that "the video card".

I have,

GA-P35-DQ6
E6750 @ 455 x8 = 3.64~ Ghz 1.5v I have pushed it to 492 x8 = 3.96~ Ghz 1.7v :p
2x Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1066 @ 1170~Mhz 5,4,4,10
2X Western Digital Sata 160Mb 16Mb Cache Raid0
EAX1900XTX :(
Zumax 550 Watt 38Amps @ Rail
Antec 900 Case
Phillips Sata 20x Burner

F34R1355

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I noticed that you took back the 4000 more points remark, but it was still there while I was posting. There does not seem to be a "good/great" tool for doing this. Do you know what memory modules are actually on the card?

Off Topic: How does that Phillips sata work for you?

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Yah there program is glitchy and I don't know why but, it was telling me on their site people with similar were getting that much more then me then I bought it :p same version and now it says people are only getting 1000 more then me? It cool though, I have the 1.1ns memory modules on her. It is an Asus card I got it for $200 brand new off 3btech.net a little company by me sorta (state over). My sata burner kicks a$s, it was kinda loud in my old $hitty case because it didn't realy hold it to tight but, with the Antec 900 I screwed it down everywhere possible and it is pretty quiet now, more quiet then my old burner was. I think it looks good to. It is fast and I haven't had any bad burns yet either. I only paid like $35~ for it off newegg.