Sign in with
Your question

Alienware factory restore/wipe problem

Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2010 10:46:31 PM

My Alienware laptop needs a restore or wipe before i try to sell it on ebay or locally, but my friend said i'd need the Alienware disk that came with the computer originally. Now obviously it's been a while and I moved twice so that's long gone, is there another way to wipe the drive and reinstall windows xp or just do a factory restore without that original disk? BTW sorry for the noob question:p 

And as a side question, whats a Alienware with 2gigs of ram, 160gig hard drive, 14inch screen, and a 2.13 Pentium M processor worth these days, like $150-$200? I wouldn't think much except for parts maybe, is it less than that?
May 23, 2010 11:46:45 PM

Joey Sarks said:
My Alienware laptop needs a restore or wipe before i try to sell it on ebay or locally, but my friend said i'd need the Alienware disk that came with the computer originally. Now obviously it's been a while and I moved twice so that's long gone, is there another way to wipe the drive and reinstall windows xp or just do a factory restore without that original disk? BTW sorry for the noob question:p 

And as a side question, whats a Alienware with 2gigs of ram, 160gig hard drive, 14inch screen, and a 2.13 Pentium M processor worth these days, like $150-$200? I wouldn't think much except for parts maybe, is it less than that?

You can use system restore to set the drive back to day one, if the computer boots up. But then you want to go through and erase your own personal files.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my system to an earlier date
click next
choose a bold date on the calender that is the earliest date, earliest month, earliest year
click next
follow the directions
after restore, restart the computer
go through my documents, my pictures, my music, etc...and erase your personal files, or make a backup for yourself.
m
l
May 24, 2010 8:08:16 PM

soundguruman said:
You can use system restore to set the drive back to day one, if the computer boots up. But then you want to go through and erase your own personal files.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
click next
choose a bold date on the calender that is the earliest date, earliest month, earliest year
click next
follow the directions
go through my documents, my pictures, my music, etc...and erase your personal files, or make a backup for yourself.

Alright I'll try this for now. Kinda wanted a factory restore though since it does a weird thing where I have to hit F1 to start it now, and I wanted to clean up the registry, just alot of stuff ive installed and uninstalled in the past thats prolly bogging it down.
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2010 9:29:00 PM

doing the above will set the system back to a time before you installed any of your software. It may fix the F1 problem, good chance it will.
m
l
May 15, 2014 3:54:18 PM

soundguruman said:
Joey Sarks said:

click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
click next
click next
follow the directions

I did this and now my computer won't start at all.
m
l
!