Half-Life 2...

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

....was very fun.

But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.

And I still think the game owes me a trip to another dimension...
And the ending was kinda tame...

One thing's for sure, the gameplay made Doom 3 look like a piece of
fluff.
Well, that's hardly saying much though, as minesweeper made Doom 3
look like a piece of fluff.

--
theobliviousbyers

Byers ex machina wrote:
> ...was very fun.
>
> But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
> game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.

http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.half-life,alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

"Byers ex machina" <don't@think.so> wrote in message
> ...was very fun.
>
> But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
> game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.
>
> And I still think the game owes me a trip to another dimension...
> And the ending was kinda tame...

A trip to another dimension? Xen or whatever it was called was the worst
part of Half Life.

"Hi, here's a great game, it's going good, things acre fun and clever.
OOPS. Time for a world of incredibly lame jumping puzzles. Sorry to
disappoint you right at the end."
--
Ramen Junkie

http://www.lameazoid.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest,alt.games.half-life,alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.warcraft (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:44:48 GMT, "Ramen Junkie"
<Just_Reply@To_The_Post.com> wrote:

>A trip to another dimension? Xen or whatever it was called was the worst
>part of Half Life.
>
>"Hi, here's a great game, it's going good, things acre fun and clever.
>OOPS. Time for a world of incredibly lame jumping puzzles. Sorry to
>disappoint you right at the end."

Yes, well, they could have devised a plan that involved Xen without
the mindless jumping...
I would welcome a trip to an alien world instead of the part with the
wading through sewage shooting at flying can openers.

And Xen had less morno jump puzzles in the Opposing Force expansion
pack...

--
byerstheoblivious

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:25:13 GMT, "Toe Jam" <toejam@yourfoot.com>
wrote:

>> But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
>> game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.
>
>http://members.shaw.ca/storage_4/hl2story/

Bliss.

--
byerstheoblivious

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Byers ex machina" <don't@think.so> wrote in message
> ...was very fun.

You mean there are other games that is worth playing besides StarCraft and
WarCraft?

.... and I'm going to call you a traitor

> But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
> game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.

No and I don't care. Get lost!

> And I still think the game owes me a trip to another dimension...
> And the ending was kinda tame...

Then don't play it, morno

> One thing's for sure, the gameplay made Doom 3 look like a piece of
> fluff.
>
> Well, that's hardly saying much though, as minesweeper made Doom 3
> look like a piece of fluff.

So says the idiot who decided to play Doom 3 and HL2.
--
Steven Ung

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:00:38 +0800, "Steven Ung"
<steven@nodomainname.com> wrote:

>You mean there are other games that is worth playing besides StarCraft and
>WarCraft?

The voices say yes.

>No and I don't care. Get lost!

In the woods?

>Then don't play it, morno

Not an option, I'm afraid.

>> Well, that's hardly saying much though, as minesweeper made Doom 3
>> look like a piece of fluff.
>
>So says the idiot who decided to play Doom 3 and HL2.

HL2 was great...Doom 3 less so...

--
byerstheoblivious

Byers ex machina wrote:
> ...was very fun.
>
> But did anyone grasp the story at all? After having completed the
> game, I still don't know what the hell it was all about.
>
> And I still think the game owes me a trip to another dimension...
> And the ending was kinda tame...
>
> One thing's for sure, the gameplay made Doom 3 look like a piece of
> fluff.
> Well, that's hardly saying much though, as minesweeper made Doom 3
> look like a piece of fluff.

Valve's story telling style is a bit like that. They won't actually come
out and just tell you what the story is aside from "You're Gordon
Freeman again, the GMan's about to give you your next assignment and
you're still like WTF?" The rest you pretty much have to figure out on
the way. The odd comments here and there people make, posters and
newspaper clippings on the walls, humans being loaded into can things
and a funny looking slave race thing coming out the other end are the
main ones.

Good sources of information throughout the game:

The Vortigaunt that attaches the gun to the airboat, before you leave
you can keep grilling him for quite a bit of information about the
Vortigaunts, he does go on at some length and isn't always easy to
understand though.

The one that's the big "ohhhhh, I get it" clue are the newspaper
clippings in Eli's lab. When you look at them the headlines give you a
general idea of what's been going on in your absense. Eli will also
comment on them.

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:04:42 +1300, Spyderizer <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Valve's story telling style is a bit like that. They won't actually come
>out and just tell you what the story is aside from "You're Gordon
>Freeman again, the GMan's about to give you your next assignment and
>you're still like WTF?" The rest you pretty much have to figure out on
>the way. The odd comments here and there people make, posters and
>newspaper clippings on the walls, humans being loaded into can things
>and a funny looking slave race thing coming out the other end are the
>main ones.
>
>Good sources of information throughout the game:
>
>The Vortigaunt that attaches the gun to the airboat, before you leave
>you can keep grilling him for quite a bit of information about the
>Vortigaunts, he does go on at some length and isn't always easy to
>understand though.
>
>The one that's the big "ohhhhh, I get it" clue are the newspaper
>clippings in Eli's lab. When you look at them the headlines give you a
>general idea of what's been going on in your absense. Eli will also
>comment on them.

I guess I was too busy playing with my zero gravity gun to read
newspaper clippings...

--
byerstheoblivious

In alt.games.starcraft Byers ex machina <don't@think.so> wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 22:04:42 +1300, Spyderizer <no@spam.com> wrote:

>>Valve's story telling style is a bit like that. They won't actually come
>>out and just tell you what the story is aside from "You're Gordon
>>Freeman again, the GMan's about to give you your next assignment and
>>you're still like WTF?" The rest you pretty much have to figure out on
>>the way. The odd comments here and there people make, posters and
>>newspaper clippings on the walls, humans being loaded into can things
>>and a funny looking slave race thing coming out the other end are the
>>main ones.
>>
>>Good sources of information throughout the game:
>>
>>The Vortigaunt that attaches the gun to the airboat, before you leave
>>you can keep grilling him for quite a bit of information about the
>>Vortigaunts, he does go on at some length and isn't always easy to
>>understand though.
>>
>>The one that's the big "ohhhhh, I get it" clue are the newspaper
>>clippings in Eli's lab. When you look at them the headlines give you a
>>general idea of what's been going on in your absense. Eli will also
>>comment on them.

> I guess I was too busy playing with my zero gravity gun to read
> newspaper clippings...

It was before the gravity gun. There was a period of like 5 minutes
where you had to sit in the lab while basically nothing happened.

--
Adam Smith

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 1 Dec 2004 16:16:42 GMT, Adam Smith <acsmith@conductor-am.bu.edu>
wrote:

>> I guess I was too busy playing with my zero gravity gun to read
>> newspaper clippings...
>
>It was before the gravity gun. There was a period of like 5 minutes
>where you had to sit in the lab while basically nothing happened.

Well, I didn't see any newspaper clippings, so I was obviously busy
doing something...

--
byerstheoblivious

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

In alt.games.starcraft Byers ex machina <don't@think.so> wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2004 16:16:42 GMT, Adam Smith <acsmith@conductor-am.bu.edu>
> wrote:

>>> I guess I was too busy playing with my zero gravity gun to read
>>> newspaper clippings...
>>
>>It was before the gravity gun. There was a period of like 5 minutes
>>where you had to sit in the lab while basically nothing happened.

> Well, I didn't see any newspaper clippings, so I was obviously busy
> doing something...

Maybe you get all wrapped up in that useless machine where you can
turn a rock around while light shines through it? Or you were
throwing cans at the scientist's head wondering why he didn't notice?

--
Adam Smith

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Adam Smith" wrote

> Maybe you get all wrapped up in that useless machine where you can
> turn a rock around while light shines through it? Or you were
> throwing cans at the scientist's head wondering why he didn't notice?

Nope buzy at the miniteleporter wondering how to break the darn thing

- Peter

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On 1 Dec 2004 22:50:54 GMT, Adam Smith <acsmith@conductor-am.bu.edu>
wrote:

>> Well, I didn't see any newspaper clippings, so I was obviously busy
>> doing something...
>
>Maybe you get all wrapped up in that useless machine where you can
>turn a rock around while light shines through it? Or you were
>throwing cans at the scientist's head wondering why he didn't notice?

That sounds like something I would do...

--
byerstheoblivious

Byers ex machina wrote:
> On 1 Dec 2004 16:16:42 GMT, Adam Smith <acsmith@conductor-am.bu.edu>
> wrote:
>

>>>I guess I was too busy playing with my zero gravity gun to read
>>>newspaper clippings...
>>
>>It was before the gravity gun. There was a period of like 5 minutes
>>where you had to sit in the lab while basically nothing happened.
>

> Well, I didn't see any newspaper clippings, so I was obviously busy
> doing something...

It's the bit where you first arrive at Eli's lab and Eli says "relax,
take a look around." Or something to that effect.

Peter Lykkegaard left a note on my windscreen which said:

> "Adam Smith" wrote
>
> > Maybe you get all wrapped up in that useless machine where you can
> > turn a rock around while light shines through it? Or you were
> > throwing cans at the scientist's head wondering why he didn't notice?
> >
> Nope buzy at the miniteleporter wondering how to break the darn thing

I only found that you can put different things on the mini teleporter
while playing through again. I managed to get it to teleport a whole
stack of computer parts and a barrel!
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]