Sign in with
Your question

pci-e ESATA card, any good?

Last response: in Storage
November 9, 2008 5:02:20 PM

Hi Guys

After being bitterly dissapointed with my 1TB nas performance I've decided to buy a 1TB esata external HD, now my PC doesnt have any esata ports, I have had a look around and have seen (from ebay uk) these fairly cheap cards which plug into the PCI-E slot on the mobo and in return gives you an esata port, they are only about £8 - 12 delivered from HK or china, my question was are these reliable?

Since its data we're talking about I dont really wanna take any chances, I wont post any links since a quick search shows lots of sellers selling these, they look similar to .

Thanks Guys!

Mark

More about : pci esata card good

November 11, 2008 7:09:10 AM

or if someone could tell me if theres a better solution, I cant find any
November 11, 2008 7:24:22 PM

Heya,

I have a PCIe card for my eSATA with a 1tb external (phntom drive, green drive, it's a WD green drive). Performance is fantastic. Hot swappable. It's like having the drive internally.

I got this device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132011

It was $20 with free shipping.

Absolutely fantastic.

(Did it for the same reason you did; files too large for a network to handle quickly, via NAS)

Very best,
November 13, 2008 7:51:22 AM

Quote:
Heya,

I have a PCIe card for my eSATA with a 1tb external (phntom drive, green drive, it's a WD green drive). Performance is fantastic. Hot swappable. It's like having the drive internally.

I got this device: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6816132011

It was $20 with free shipping.

Absolutely fantastic.

(Did it for the same reason you did; files too large for a network to handle quickly, via NAS)

Very best,

Thanks a lot for the reply, its just what I wanted to hear, I'll buy one today, I'm in the UK and my usual place (ebuyer) doesnt have any cheap ones so i'll probably end up going for the ebay one but it should be ok.

Thanks again! :) 
!