Intels Best vs. AMDs Best

kellytm3

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
AMD will never see the #1 spot again.Who cares if Intels best cost $1000...the fact still is that Intel is #1 and always will be.Even in the Presscott days,Intel still outsold AMD.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

I guess you have a crystal ball that can tell you the future

kellytm3

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007

you dont need a crystal ball,AMD's mismanagement has sealed their doom.AMD is nothing but cpu's for the less fortunate consumer,if they are not careful VIA will sneak up and best them,then AMD will be last in the cpu maker chain.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
I am a pretty hopeful guy. On this, not so hopeful.

My only tactic now is to keep this system until I absolutely need a new computer, then HOPE that I could get something decent out of AMD again. If not, well...

My only problem is video video video, EVERYONE encodes/decodes TONS of video these days, so Intel has most people switching from AMD due to much better performance.

I mean, AMD isn't even ballpark anymore.

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
DELETED. AMD had the number 1 spot? sales aren't everything you know. back in the days of the allmighty Athlon 64, they killed any intel offering. The continue to innovate and bring new ideas. Intel have taken the lead and i have no doubt that AMD will reclaim it somewhere down the line. maybe not anytime soon. but they will.

the problem is, if amd goes bust, not only do we lose a competitor, driving chip prices higher, but there goes your good budget graphics cards too because Ati will go with them. What they need to do is focus on grabbing back some ground (aiming for the midrange market is a start) and get back on their feet... if they don't we're all screwed.

the amd fanboys, the intel fanboys and the informed buyers

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006

Desperately clinging to past glories isn't going to help AMD going forward...

The harsh reality is that the technological gap between Intel and AMD is growing, not shrinking. Intel is going full steam ahead whilst AMD battles for survival by drastically cutting their R&D budget for 2008. Bulldozer, the next generation uarch, has completely vanished from their 2009 roadmap. What would AMD have to battle Nehalem? A 45nm K10? Yeah, good luck with that.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
To make matters worse, it has been rumored that Nehalem will have twice the FP performance. Now, this is only a rumor, and no additional information has been given. But if this is true, AMD's long held title in FP performance will likely shift again.

d4NjvRzf

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007

I thought it had already shifted. SpecFP doesn't count.

Does anyone remember the days of 3Dfx?...

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007

Not everyone can afford expensive CPU's, so cheaper components is a good thing. Powerful CPU's from both Intel and AMD can be purchased at reasonable prices because of the competition.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Competition from AMD is why we have good CPU today. Reminder that AMD was the first to readch the 1GHZ barrier. If AMD had never existed, we would be with a P4 today. Intel was forced to increase the speed and paddle like hell to not loose the race. AMD stayed on top with having the best CPU not so long ago. Today's CPU from Intel was probably only scheduled to be released in a few years.

Intel announced that next CPU will be relased later. Why? Because they can and AMD won't have anything to compete with Intel.

This is the same story with NVidia and ATI.

We need competition.

If AMD die, we are doomed! :) This is both for AMD and ATI.

Yes, but AMD is forced to sell all their chips for <$300 where there is less profit (or in AMD's case, no profit) to be made.

Intel has a wider range of processors for sale that go from the low-end where AMD is to the uber-high end.

I do agree that competition is good, but AMD needs to be neck and neck with Intel for profitability's sake. Remember, if AMD does not profit it will not exist.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
loneeagle made some very good points that I haven't even remembered.

I had one of those first 1+Ghz AMD chips, too bad I didn't even get to fully enjoy/appreciate it, due to Windows ME and an MSI motherboard that truly sucked.

But at the time, those were some good chips, especially with aftermarket coolers, as they were VERY hot. Even without an OC.

The FUNNIEST thing in Intel's recent history was how they tried to stall the 64 bit generation. I couldn't even imagine getting a new computer today without having 4GB of RAM in the thing. You can stuff a PC with 4GB of RAM dirt cheap to boot, I have seen some Buffalo DDR2 for 19$ a Gig DIMM. So Intel was FULL of BS on that one.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
What is still in the AMD ballpark is their GPU's. They bring in some new GPU winners, it will help keep the AMD CPU alive. It's a dual company. Disappointed in the loss of CPU competition, but if the GPU battle is decent, then AMD will keep on ticking. Wish it didn't take so much money to dev new chips, it's killing us.....

find "$HOME/" -name Horse.txt
kill -9 %Horse
find "$HOME/" -name DeadHorse.txt
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse
kill -9 %DeadHorse

I agree. The GPU battle is much better. AMD still suffers there, but to a lesser extent. AMD needs to best nVidia and milk the $600 graphics card. The Radeon HD though is a great card and I will consider them when I do my next upgrade.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
That is certainly true, if a company has the better product (Intel). They will not rush to release something better because money is still being made out of the old one.
AMD have messed up this time, but if history is anything to go by the performance advantage has shifted between the two companies. AMD can make a success of the Phenom, even though it is inferior by releasing more power efficient Quads(Like they did with the X2's) and releasing higher Clocked Phenoms (without the Bug) at a reasonable price. A strong point of AMD at the moment is their Spider platform, even if it really only is marketing hype.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
yeah, speedbird, I could swallow an AMD Quad IF they have the proper performance/price ratio at 1:1 with Intel.

I don't think I could stomach a Phenom with the TLB bug, that performs 25% worse on top of it, for the same price as the Q6600. I mean come on.

When those Q6x's start coming out 45nm with alot of OC headroom, I'll skip K10 completely, and maybe just fund AMD (as everyone has pointed out) by buying their chipsets and Videocards. I think they are on the pinnacle of nailing a winner in 2008, and I am not the only one who thinks so.

Just sad, K8 was amazing.