Move current XP & Vista Installations to new drives - best software??

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
Replacing my two Raptor 150GBs, (one with XP and the other with Vista installed, its a dual boot configuration) with two new 300GB Velociraptor drives. Since my board has SATA2 I should be able to benefit from increased capacity on each drive and faster bandwidth.

I don't wish to reinstall Windows from scratch on either drive so I am looking for some imaging software that will enable me to take a copy of the entire drive(s) and stick it on the new Velociraptors so I can swap over to the new drives without any hitches.

Which is the best Imaging/Ghosting software to use that will enable me to do a perfect copy of each drive onto the new drives? Preferably Freeware. Also, what are the risks of copying using this method - Imaging in theory should do an exact copy of the drive onto the new drive but I have heard horror stories of the imaging process not always being successful, so can any experts give me any pointers as to what can go wrong?

Also this is the first time I am doing this sort of process so anything n00b proof will be welcome.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
im not aware of any freeware that can do that, but norton ghost is quite good. also, if you have vista ultimate, it can take a disk image and then restore from that image. im not sure how well it works when you switch to a new hard drive however.

vmardegan

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I use Acronis True Image 2009. It's really good and have never let me down.

Actually I enjoyed so much that I bought the licensed version after the trial expired.

You can give it a shot. It has a 15 day trial period.

Also, Norton Ghost is very popular, but I have never had any experience with it.