Sign in with
Your question

moving one hard drive to another pc help

Last response: in Storage
November 10, 2008 3:20:27 AM

hello everybody, i have a question.
i currently have 2 computers (i is my gaming rig and the other is an old piece of junk that doesnt turn on anymore) and i was wondering if its safe to take out the hard drive from my old one to my other pc.

if anyone can help me with this that would be great, thanks

More about : moving hard drive

November 10, 2008 3:36:35 AM

sure...just take the drive out of the old pc and put it in the new pc... just make sure your primary boot drive is the drive initially installed in your gaming pc.

Probably would be a good idea to format the old hard drive.
November 10, 2008 2:48:40 PM

kyeana said:
sure...just take the drive out of the old pc and put it in the new pc... just make sure your primary boot drive is the drive initially installed in your gaming pc.

Probably would be a good idea to format the old hard drive.

can i access both in windows (access some file from my old hard drive and my standard one)? also do i format the hard drive after i boot up windows in the new pc?
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 10, 2008 3:20:02 PM

You can get to all the files on your old hard drive.

After you get your files off of it, you can format it and use it as a data disk.
November 10, 2008 6:04:39 PM

huron said:
You can get to all the files on your old hard drive.

After you get your files off of it, you can format it and use it as a data disk.

aalright, one more question, if there are any virus on the hard drive (theres a chance that there is, its very old , its from an emachines ROFL) will it effect my pc, will the virus or viruses spread into the files i have now?????????
also will i need a external hard drive to move the files onto the new one or can i just drag and drop once i put in the old hard drive?
November 10, 2008 6:24:07 PM

its possible that you could get a virus on your hard drive, however you should have virus protection anyways. AVG offers free virus protection, you should download that if you dont have any other anti-virus software installed.

Once you put the hard drive in your new pc you should be able to just drag them from the old hard drive and drop them onto the new hard drive. After you get all of the data off of the old hard drive you should format it, then you should be good to go.
November 10, 2008 6:24:59 PM

just scan it with your anti virus that you already have installed.:) 
a b G Storage
November 10, 2008 6:28:21 PM

If the old box is store bought (emachines) it probably won't be of any use to you. Every store bought box I've ever seen has the MB BIOS & boot sector of the HDD altered by the manufacturer to only recognize each other. When you put the old HDD in the newer box it probably will not be recognized.
November 10, 2008 7:36:59 PM

ram1009 said:
If the old box is store bought (emachines) it probably won't be of any use to you. Every store bought box I've ever seen has the MB BIOS & boot sector of the HDD altered by the manufacturer to only recognize each other. When you put the old HDD in the newer box it probably will not be recognized.

ummm interesting alright well i will find out in a few hours when i install it
November 11, 2008 2:16:17 AM

wahjahka said:
ummm interesting alright well i will find out in a few hours when i install it

well the hard drive works fine :) 
a b G Storage
November 11, 2008 1:24:33 PM

Good. Glad to hear it. I guess emachine is too cheap to even try to protect their equipment.
November 13, 2008 1:43:16 PM

hahah yes, but not i have something to put all my files on
!