Sign in with
Your question

How does this look? (Total noob to Intel)

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2007 4:16:30 PM

I’ve been with AMD since the late 90’s and have no clue if this is a good setup. I already have Raptor HDs, ATI X1950XT, Case, twin LG monitors, Sound Blaster FX, Firewire PCI card and of course Vista Ultimate. I’ll be doing the switch/reinstall over the weekend. What I want to know is if this is a good setup. Is the memory overkill, will it clock up to max or is the speed dictated by the CPU. Like I said, I have no clue what to expect. I wanted some future life for the system too… Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. (Average daily use is: Photoshop CS3, Lightroom 1.2, Firefox, Thunderbird all open at the same time while either listening to music or watching DivX movies… Sometimes I will also be ripping movies to iPod format (MPEG4 from DivX) while doing all the above.)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6850

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06

Crucial Ballistix 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

More about : total noob intel

December 19, 2007 4:51:13 PM

C2D processors are not very sensitive to memory speeds. DDR2-800 is good for all but the highest of overclocks. I think your memory is a bit of overkill. Go to the Crucial web site and run their memory configurator to verify that the memory is ok for your mobo.
December 19, 2007 5:07:02 PM

I agree with going for DDR2 800, it is more than sufficient for your needs.

Also, if you're up to it, buy an E6750 for about $100 less and OC it to E6850 speeds. I'm almost positive this can be done on stock cooling alone. Now take the money you saved and buy other gadgets... I guess you could save it as well. :) 
Related resources
December 19, 2007 5:40:27 PM

I'm running a 6750 overclocked to 3.2 on a DS3L with stock cooling and *no* extra volts - in fact I undervolted the CPU to 1.3v. The 6850 is overpriced, and you only need 800 Ram, 667 if you don't want to OC. DDR2 speed is doubled, so 667 runs 1:1 with a 1333 FSB.
December 19, 2007 5:52:28 PM

Thanks for for all the great tips... hehe, I guess I should have come here BEFORE ordering :)  I got a good deal at Newegg with the memory and CPU due to a store bonus credit of $150 that has been hanging for almost a year so I figured I would go for the best of the middle class. I will be OC when I make up my mind on all the watercooling parts. I figured that this memory would give me a really big area to play with and not have to worry about it - just the CPU.

I also figured that I was going to upgrade to a quad once they get up closer to the 3GHz range at stock speeds and the memory would be able to move with me.

My next question is there a processor or will there be that clocks the memory at 1066 on this architecture/socket?
!