Registry- Clear last state

kiff

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005

Ive tried Kellys-korner-xp.com Clear Last State tweak but it didn't work. I
still see the last key viewed. I would like to have it so it opens up as the
root. Is it possible?

Get regopen.vbs. It's what I use.

regopen.vbs - Bypasses Regedit's "memory" of the last key visited
Copyright - Doug Knox
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/regopen.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%235RWcvtjFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Kiff <duh@aolc.om> hunted and pecked:

Kiff wrote:
> Ive tried Kellys-korner-xp.com Clear Last State tweak but it didn't work. I
> still see the last key viewed. I would like to have it so it opens up as the
> root. Is it possible?

To keep it cleared you have to make the key read-only by removing update
permissions. To do this run regedit.exe and navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Regedit.
Double click the LastKey value in the right to edit it. Clear the
contents of Value data and click OK.

Next, right click on Regedit and select Permissions. Click the Advanced
button and remove the check from "Inherit from parent the permission
entries that apply to child objects..." When you do you will be
prompted on what you want to do with the permission, choose Copy. Now
close the Advanced Security Settings dialog, leaving you at Permissions
for Regedit. There select each group or name and remove the check from
Full Control, leaving Read Only access checked. Once you have the
changes made for all users and groups, click Apply and then OK to
dismiss the security settings dialog.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Hi Sharon,

Actually I use both regopen.vbs and a shortcut to regedit.exe. It depends
on whether or not I want to start from scratch or from where I left off.
;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes