Temperature Rise With More 2GB

xanxaz

Distinguished
May 3, 2005
My system is a E6600 with P965DS3-P motherboard and i had 2x1gb kingston ddr2 memory.as i live in Portugal and its winter( temps are always near or bellow 0 where i live) my system was runnig in idle at 8º-10º no oc. i added 2x1GB DDR2 kingston and my temps are now 28º-34º. i hadnt change a thing except my ram.most strange thing is that my load temps are normal. 38-40... measured by coretemp and everest. is this normal??? i guess not. just wondering if someone had the same problem as i do. thanks in advanced

No thread titles in all caps

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Sounds like possibly something wierd with your bios. 28-34C is a good idle range, why it was reported lower before is beyond me. Regardless, you're fine, it's nothing to worry about.

brownlove

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
I have read that the heatsinks on the RAM modules tend to block air flow. Perhaps, if you have all four slots populated with RAM that have heasinks attached, this is causing the rise in temperatire. The heatsink is supposed to draw heat more efficiently away from the RAM chips. But if the heatsink is right next to another one, and if there isn't a strong fan blowing across the the RAM (convection), then you will have a heat build-up, not a dissapation as desired with the heatsinks. Better to have no heatsinks with all the slots poulated, or have denser RAM - 2 x 2GB sticks. Hope this is helpful.