jack c

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hi all. Just a quick opinion gents. Am i going to get a big performance increase going from an AMD FX-60 to a Intel E6850?

Can I have your FX60 then??

The only noticeable difference will very much depend on the graphics card you have ... and the rest of the system.

A high end graphics card will become cpu bound on an FX60 unless it is overclocked whereas the core 2 chip mildly overclocked won't get cpu bound.

Plus the core2 cpu runs much cooler.

If your going to upgrade buy a quality mobo for the Intel chip.

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007

You are wrong about the graphics card being cpu bound. This idea of a CPU bottlenecking a high end graphics card is a big myth. I have seen an AMD athlon 3200 (single core) run COD4 on high settings no problem with a high end graphics
card. CPU bottleneck will ONLY happen at resolutions below 12X10. And no one with a high end graphics card is going to run their system at that low res.

jack c

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hey again gents. Here is what I had:
amd fx60
dual 7800 gtx's
asus A8N32 mobo
OCZ pc4000 ram

and here is what I upgraded to:
intel e6850
8800 Ultra
gigabyte ga-x38-dq6 mobo
patriot extreme performance pc2-9600

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Hey jack, did you buy that system already? If not you could save some cash and buy a e6750 and overclock it a bit. And instead of the 8800ultra buy yourself 2 8800GT's and put them in SLI.

jack c

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Thx guys. I have about 4 monitors. Yes and high res. I have th 8800 ultra running 2 monitors and the 7800 gtx running the other. Its not an SLI board anyway. I know, why am i using nvidia cards. dont ask! lol

Eh??

Both ATI and NV make good cards for difference price ranges.

At present NV pwn the top end with teh Ultra, GTX and new GTS.

The mid range has the 88GT and old GTS competing with the ATI 3870 - it fits between them but is a slightly cooler running card.

The 3850 is a nice mid range card slightly below them with no present competitor.

That's how I see it ...

I agree with you, but times are changing. There's a lot more physics in games now-a-days. Games like FarCry demand a decent CPU in addition to monster graphics.

If I was upgrading right now I would go quad-core for today's games like Farcry, and tomorrow's games as well.

Err... Crysis.

I think it was a deep thought in my mind wishing that Crysis was more like Farcry. I beat Crysis yesterday and I am rather dissapointed.

Halfway through the game (when you're no longer battling the Koreans) the game becomes so uninspired and the levels become more linear it just starts sucking and actually becomes a chore to beat the game.

Farcry is hands down better than Crysis.

i haven't really tried crysis yet, i have downloaded the demo but haven't given it more than 5 minutes. the problem of course was that i thought farcry was terrible and so am biased against crytek for that reason.

If you didn't like FarCry don't get Crysis. The last half of the game was just rubbish!

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would not upgrade at this point in time.

It sounds like you have a decent system, but the step up will not be earth-shattering.

I would at least wait until Q1 when the Penryn is out as well as possibly NVIDIA's next Gen Chip.

Even if you don't want a 4-core chip, the Dual Core Penryn will be out Jan '20 and should destroy the E6850 with OC's reaching 4.5 to 5.0Ghz if I had to guess. I've seen those speeds on the Quads, though the 5.0Ghz took extreme cooling. The Dual would likely not require such methods.

jack c

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007

Yes this is partically why i never went with the 650 dollar Q6700. I bought the e6850 for 299 and so if i wnated to upgrade to the penryn in a few months I would be TOO pissed at myself......just a little.lol

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
The Intel CPU will have the edge in games and encode faster, but I doubt the difference would be huge. It's not a good idea to buy on hype, just upgrade when you need too. There is always going to be something better, unless ofcourse you have deep pockets and moneys no object.

Can Not

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
It's about a 25% increase in performance.. That, and it comes with superior overclocking and consumes less energy. Your FX is powerful enough as it is, wait until newer, truly superior CPUs come out.

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007

Yea, that is a good point. :)