why dualCore procs and not DualHead HDDs?

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
my guess as to why that hasn't been done is because that would use up more power and would require a larger enclosure to fit in a second drive motor. also, the heads might interfere with eachother.

shpe11

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008

hey there is no secod motor, just only for the head... the interference I don't know... but I say there will be some balance, don't know if the spin is 0.000000001% afected in time because the head..., whatever I wrote to WD but no answer :( so I make public the ideea..

but overall I rather have a 1TB drive like this than 2x500Gb in RAID mode...

G

For one the heads would get all messed up unless you divide the drive into sections and each head has a certain partition... THEN you negate the ability to do twice the work... unless you do an internal striped raid array thing...

it has been done... but it is so impractical...

Also SSDs are starting to take off... I got one of the "new" sh*tty ones and its still better than a conventional drive

as soon as SSDs come in at around 2$ a GB and the write performance... (not fake benchmark performance) is at or exceeds the write performance of standard drives... the standard drive will fall off the face of the earth in a matter of years

shpe11

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
For one the heads would get all messed up unless you divide the drive into sections and each head has a certain partition... THEN you negate the ability to do twice the work... unless you do an internal striped raid array thing...

it has been done... but it is so impractical...

Also SSDs are starting to take off... I got one of the "new" sh*tty ones and its still better than a conventional drive

as soon as SSDs come in at around 2$ a GB and the write performance... (not fake benchmark performance) is at or exceeds the write performance of standard drives... the standard drive will fall off the face of the earth in a matter of years

i said, some kind of RAID, and ofcourse two sections... read details from the link... yeah ssd, but only want to make the battle more interesting... andcan be a design with 4 heads too... ssd is cool, and I guesx more relyable than a piece of disk of metal...

G

so then your next theory would be to have... say scalable heads... and then basically infinite right?

thats basically what an SSD is... hugely simplified but thats basically the gist of it...

SSD is the future... the velociraptor from WD is the last real noteworthy (IMO of course) standard HDD

mrmez

Splendid
Technically its not going to be THAT hard.
It all comes down to consumer demand, and how bothered someone can be to develop that specific idea.

Obviously the interest on both sides is pretty low, and its likely we will never see it.

Alternatives are also plentiful, so people arent starved for choice. There are RAID arrays of various types, and with large magnetic discs being so cheap its an ideal solution. Then there are a few different types of 10,000 - 15,000rpm drives also. 20,000rpm drives are also being researched, but id say it will lose out to SSD's, which are becoming faster and cheaper every month.

By 2010, which isnt that far away, id imagine many entry-level PC's and laptops will come standard, or with the option of an SSD.

shpe11

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
yeah, I know the option is SSD...

i'm still dreaming of a biological drive... and if I want to add a TB I should feed it with an apple or banana :)