New build q6600 cores at 80-100C ?

spauld81

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Hello, I just built my first system and I'm not sure I know what I'm doing...

I downloaded Everest and it says my CPU cores (q6600) are at approx 80C. And I observed them go up to 100c quickly if I try to do something on the computer. From what I've read this is not normal. But when I touch the CPU heatsink it is not hot at all.

By comparison if i touch the metal on the 8800GTX it is VERY HOT (burns me) .. everest says this is at like 60-70c i think.

All the fans on my system are working and I even have the side of the case open (p182).

Whats going on? I am scared that I'm going to mess something up.

spauld81

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
My motherboard is Abit ip35 pro. I don't know if its relevent but I found it quite difficult to install the cpu heatsink and fan. I really had to push down on the 4 thingies to get them to lock onto the motherboard. Is that normal?

And for your info I have not tried to overclock anything

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Its not normal, and indeed dangerous. Did you use thermal paste? Your cpu heatsink should be hot if those temps are right, unless you arent getting good contact.

Restet the CPU and heatsink and try again. If you had trouble installing stock cooler and paste you might of worked all of the paste uneven. If you do reset you "HAVE" to use new paste. If you dont have any your gonna have to buy some or risk burning your cpu. Warranties dont cover bad installations.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I've found that leaving the side of the case open actually increases temperatures inside as it messes up a lot of cases airflow that are made to work like wind tunnels. Like the above posters said you're probably not getting good contact between your CPU and heatsink. Make sure you have some decent thermal paste, too. Arctic Silver 5 is the best you can get without spending an absolute fortune. When applying it just put a blob on the centre of the CPU and let the pressure from applying the HSF spread it (you can find more details about doing that on the forums), it works better than spreading it yourself, less air bubbles and a few other things too.

TRENDING THREADS