recypher

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Hi All,
I have recently decided to overclock my e6850, I have taken it from 3.0 to 3.7GHz. All seems ok I guess however I am a little confused with the temperature reading I am getting.

System Info
MB: EVGA 680i
CPU: Intel e6850 3GHz
RAM: 4Gb 800MHz
Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

At stock speeds I get the following:
30.jpg

Considering I am using an aftermarket cooler don’t these seem a little on the high side?

Same setup overclocked to 3.7GHz I get the following:
37.jpg

Now the temps do not seem to have jumped that much from stock however in reading I believe some people will view these temps as out of the 'comfort zone'.

In addition why are the core temp results from Real Temp (67) and Core Temp (72) so different when they are both suppose to be a core reading?

I have read on Intel’s site that the e6850 operating temperature is 72 degrees c there for I guess even though these are high it should not damage the cpu, also considering that rarely should the CPU have long stints at 100% under normal operation (right/wrong?).

Basically I am a little confused and have been unable to find the answers to my questions by 'google'ing it'

A: Why am I so hot a stock speeds? (cooler installation fine as far as I can ascertain)
B: Why the difference between the two temp monitoring tools, which one should I trust?
C: Why in reading does the general consensus be that you should not exceed 65 degrees when Intel state the CPU it good for 72?

Thanks for reading...

recypher

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Did I ask a stupid question?

I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

recypher

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Ok I think I have answered my own question, I found a quote from CompuTronix

"E6x50: Tcase Max 72c, G0 Stepping, Tjunction Max 100c, Vcore Max 1.350, TDP 65w, Delta 10c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--80--80-- Hot
--65--/--75--75-- Warm
--60--/--70--70-- Safe
--25--/--35--35-- Cool

If you'd like to understand your temperatures and learn how to test, calibrate and properly monitor your rig, then check out the Guide. It also contains links to all the software you'll need."

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/246256-10-idle-temp-overclocked-e6850

It seems that I was getting Tcase and Tjunction mixed up meaning my highest reading Core Temp of 72 degrees at 3.7 is ok.