Sign in with
Your question

new gaming mach built, device conflict, any ideas?

Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2007 11:21:51 PM

The shop building the box says it's run into some device confict.
I hoped if I listed the parts someone might have some insight.

Antec TruePower Quattro 850 power supply (PS-TPQ850)

Asus Striker Extreme Motherboard
(Quad Core/Core 2 Duo Extreme/Core 2 Duo/Pentium D/
Celeron D, Sokcket T, nForce n680i SLI/8GB DDR2, 1333MHz Bus -
MPN:STRIKEREXTREME)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Processor
(3GHz, 2x2MB, 1333MHz FSB, LGA775 socket T - (MPN - BX80557E68%0SLA9U)

MA Labs Supertalent (Samsung or micron chipset)1GB DDR2 800MHZ MEMORY Qty. 2

Seagate SATA II 250 GB Desktop HardDrive (Seagate ST3250620A, HD-ST250B6)

Samsung SH-S203b/BEBN 20X Double Layer DVD+/-RW SATA Internal Drive, w/software(DRW-S203BB)

HIRO V.92 56K Lucent Chipset Internal Low Profile PCI d Data Fax Voice Modem (FM-H50158)

BFG nVidia GeForce 8800GTX OC2 768MB 2DVI/HDTV PCI-Express Video Card (BFG-88XOC2)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (1-Pack DVD) (MS66100715%)

thanx for any suggestions

I edited this list for clarity and detail.
I hope this is adequate for diagnosis.
If not I'll get more info
December 20, 2007 1:26:05 AM

ARGHHHH pull that blasted modem outta there.
December 20, 2007 4:26:18 AM

chookman said:
ARGHHHH pull that blasted modem outta there.
Just curious, how did you determine that the modem is causing the conflict?

OP: Do you have any information as to what Windows is saying about the conflict?
Related resources
December 20, 2007 4:35:25 AM

No info as yet on windows complaint. I'll check with the shop tomorrow. I hand picked these components, minus a few compromises, and that is what they are saying is giving them difficulty. Parts they aren't used to.

the whole thing makes me a bit nervous.
December 20, 2007 4:52:35 AM

It would make me nervous if any shop couldn't troubleshoot the problem in relatively short order. Does it even boot? w what RAM we need the brand and model. I'm not that familiar with the Striker Extreme, but a lot of people here are. They will need specifics.
December 20, 2007 5:00:09 AM

Not Known, I'll get more details tomorrow.
Parts look generally compatible to you?
December 20, 2007 5:02:21 AM

I edited my post, the only thing that I can see is the RAM. It may not be important, then it might be.
December 20, 2007 5:06:02 AM

I don't see any problems. Does it boot and give a windows error, or not even boot into BIOS?
December 20, 2007 5:08:50 AM

Gotta be the unknown ram.
December 20, 2007 5:17:20 AM

Certainly a possibility. The trouble is we are getting all the pertinent failure information second hand.
December 20, 2007 6:00:23 AM

By the way...what RAM would you recommend?
December 20, 2007 6:17:42 AM

Frodo666 said:
By the way...what RAM would you recommend?
Like I said, I am not personally familiar with this mobo, but I would pick one of these Qualified Vendors List (QVL) Project Name: Striker Extreme DDR2 800. You could Google the mobo and see what others are using with success, or someone here that has it may post the RAM that they are using.
December 20, 2007 5:25:13 PM

It may be fate, but chock one up for the "chookman".
I went to the shop armed with the Vendors List (Which
my original ram request {CORSAIR} was on and they
talked me into another brand due to their vendors
availability) So I get to the shop and find out that the
ram is compatible. The problem was the modem;
incompatible or fried at power-up. They swapped it,
and are doing final tests now. I was so relieved it
wasn't going to cost any more cash I forgot to find
out the ram's brand!
Thanx so much Zorg, hope you all have a good X-mas
December 20, 2007 6:11:54 PM

Bugger!
Spoke too soon...
Tech now reports system Bluescreens on shutdown
after load of chipset driver.
Editting top page to enhance ram specs
December 20, 2007 9:08:12 PM

And the chookman wins with the initial modem issue.

I want to know what kind of a computer shop this is when they cant troubleshoot problems... any reason you arent doing this yourself?

BSOD could mean anything pretty much... when is it doing it and what is the error code. I usuallly find BSOD's are generally related to HDD faults, RAM faults, Driver Fault.

Give me the codes and we will see what the boys can think of.
December 20, 2007 9:13:26 PM

1767140,4,111249 said:
Just curious, how did you determine that the modem is causing the conflict?quotemsg]

Zorg: Of my learnings... i took hardware conflict as windows has installed but you are getting errors in the device manager (wether this was true i do not know) Generally speaking we can discount mobo & CPU as the mobo is wont conflict with itself (what kind of a motherboard would that be) and CPU's dont use any IRQ's. RAM will generally either work or it wont. If windows installed then the hdd should theoretically be ok. Leaves GPU and modem, and modems are Notorious for having issues... if seen a modem installed cause no POST, IRQ conflicts, BSOD's they are just troublesome.
December 21, 2007 12:39:35 AM

Yeah, in the case of an IRQ conflict it would point that way. I have not had a IRQ conflict since W98, and I have installed come serious no name junk modems, PCI to serial (DB9) cards etc. Maybe I have just been lucky. I figured that he had no IRQ conflict and was misunderstanding the techs, who themselves didn't know what they were doing.

Sound advice anyway, rip out all nonessential parts and boot.

Kudos for the call.
December 21, 2007 12:54:38 AM

Just because it's not on the list doesn't mean it won't work. I guess they are going to run mamtest86+ to test the RAM?
December 21, 2007 1:09:39 AM

chookman said:

... any reason you arent doing this yourself?

Er, Chicken to be honest. I've done upgrades, but never a full build; let alone one this pricey.
If I screw something up, I can't afford to replace it. I really want to build one, but I'd rather
learn (and make mistakes) on one that's less valuable.
December 24, 2007 12:09:49 AM

Got this going yet Frodo?
December 26, 2007 5:11:44 AM

Errr... Well, it was; then I goofed it up and don't know what to do about it...
The tech got it going the first time and wrote:

Drivers on motherboard not working with Vista.
Board needs autodetect for both Nforce and Video drivers from Invidia.
Without them computer will B.S.O.D. at shutdown.
ACRONIS not available for this chipset. Causes boot failure.
Recommend customer purchase and install a windows version of Acronis and backup to separate H.D.

As to the tech's comments, I don't know how he got this to work, and I don't know how to install
an operating system on a computer which has never had one. I can RE-install an operating system
in my sleep. Well, windows XP at any rate.

So, I brought it home and played Bioshock thru once... pretty cool (and creepy). Then I wanted to run
the game I've been so waiting to see, Quake 4. Vista says no, this game isn't compatible with Vista.
Well, neither is my Logitech gaming mouse. So, I'm really only running Vista for the DirectX 10, and it seems
not many games use it yet. Not Bioshock, and it's 2007 (might be a settng for this). So, I decide to ditch
Vista and load XP. But as I thought Vista would be fine, the new system lacks a floppy drive. I put in the XP
disk and tell it to format and load XP. Works, except no sound. So, I put in the motherboard disk and tell it
to load all it's drivers. It reboots and gives a screen to make a boot disk. Ooops. No floppy drive. So , I put
in the one from my old system. While there I pull out the motherboard fan, book says not to use it if CPU has
a fan, an airflow issue. Put it back together, start it, and a shrill alarm sounds continuously. I don't have a
clue ... I pull out the floppy drive and windows starts fine, no alarm. I reboot. BSOD and alarm. So now it's a
paperweight.

I'd love to learn how to deal with this. If not I have to take it to the shop. Which I can't afford any more
charges and won't have learned how to do this myself....

For the heck of it I put Quake 4 into my old machine. The CPU is 1.6; Quake says 2 min. It runs well
(lowest quality setting). I never would have guessed. But like Doom 3, I can't wait to see it on high quality settings. Eye candy.

So, what should I do with the system I goofed-up? Thanks.
December 27, 2007 5:53:32 AM

Um, You mentioned error codes. I've seen no codes, don't know where to look. But perhaps there is enough info here to get this going, I just hope I haven't damaged anything. Thanks for your time.
December 27, 2007 7:06:28 AM

It wouldve been ideal to install a second hard drive and do a dual boot installation so you can switch back and forth between xp and vista at will.

This is what I would do especially if you have purchased a copy of both operating systems. Install Windows XP first then go for the installation of Vista on the second hard drive.

There must be driver issues that is causing your problems in Vista. I would go to the website of the motherboard manufacturer and get the latest downloads and burn them to a CD or put on a thumb drive to install on your new system once you get the OS reinstalled. The drivers that come on the CD that is packaged with your motherboard is always out of date and some of the fixes in more current drivers may fix those issues.

Let us know if this doesnt work or if you dont understand how to do something and we will do our best to explain...

Good luck!
December 28, 2007 5:26:44 AM

So, I called the shop and they said since I had a year warranty, parts and labor, they would fix it free. I took it to them. They're going to put it back the way it was, with Vista installed and they're going to put in a floppy drive for the cost of the drive.

Once I get it back, if I can understand what I'm doing with this mobo and the op systems and everything else, I'd like to get XP on there.

Why the second drive and not just a second partition?

How do you tell it what sys to boot? (Is that why the separate drives?)

Is Vista and upgrade of XP or a New Op Sys? (Same or Different kernel?)

If I switch back and forth from Vista to XP, do I have to reload the mobo drivers every switch? (Because Vista is so different from XP)

What was that alarm? I asked the tech at the shop and he said a steady alarm is usually ram related... I hope I didn't screw up anything.

I have a feeling these ASUS mobo's are a bit finicky. But, that's probably because they have a lot of flexability. I'll get the drivers downloaded and on a CD.

One good thing... I've got my old machine to use and connect to the net while messing with the new machine. It's good to have backup.

Input welcome, and thank you
December 28, 2007 5:44:06 AM

The tech wrote this after he initially got it working.
What does it mean and how did he work around it?
December 28, 2007 7:48:58 AM

Got here late. Was going to say that MB is not Vista Certified.
December 31, 2007 3:50:30 AM

happy_fanboy said:
that MB is not Vista Certified.

What exactly does that mean? How did the tech work around it?
What are the pros and cons of using a non Vista certified MB with Vista?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
The tech wrote this after he initially got it working.

What does it mean and how did he work around it?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why the second drive for dual-boot and not just a second partition?

How do you tell it what sys to boot? (Is that why the separate drives?)

Is Vista and upgrade of XP or a New Op Sys? (Same or Different kernel?)

If I switch back and forth from Vista to XP, do I have to reload the mobo drivers every switch? (Because Vista is so different from XP)

What was that alarm? I asked the tech at the shop and he said a steady alarm is usually ram related... I hope I didn't screw up anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lots of questions... Anyone have answers?
January 2, 2008 6:27:15 AM

Just about every motherboard on the market will at least include a Vista drivers disc in the box. However unless you see "Certified for Windows Vista" stamped clearly on the BOX of the board, the Vista drivers that are available for the board are not certified by microsoft for compatibility. This means that the drivers may or may not work at all, or may partially work. There is also no standard for stability if the drivers do work. Downloading newer drivers from the manufacturers website may also not be vista certified hence the same problem.

Make sure that if you plan on using Vista that your Motherboard has the "Certified for Windows Vista" seal on the box or else you cannot be sure if anything will work right. My advice is run XP. There are no good things about running a non Vista certified MB with Vista.

Steady repeating beeps with no POST indicates memory problem. Remove and RE-seat your RAM or try them one at a time if youre still having this problem.
!