Sign in with
Your question

Master SATA HDD and slave DVD burner?

Last response: in Storage
November 11, 2008 3:55:41 AM

Hi.

I'm in the process of assembling my new rig, but I want to make sure if I can hook up an HDD as my Primary and DVD drive as my secondary? Both SATA, of course.

I ask because I only have once SATA cable at the moment.
November 11, 2008 4:09:09 AM

SATA? Isn't SATA 1 cable per device? or do you mean E-IDE?
November 11, 2008 4:22:09 AM

ZeCow is absolutely right. SATA is one cable per device. There are no master/slave relationships with those devices.

You'll need to pick up another SATA cable in order to hook up both devices. Go to a computer parts store (i.e. Microcenter) or order off of the internet. The cables are cheap and come in various lengths. Monoprice.com carries the cables and they have good prices.

Good Luck,

William
Related resources
November 11, 2008 4:22:37 AM

Okay, I think I have it wrong, then. I was looking at the power cable. Then i guess I have plenty of SATA cables.

But so that means the power cable is capable of powering two SATA drives. Should I then use that one cable for both HDD and DVD-RW drive, or is it better for each to have its own dedicated power cable?
November 11, 2008 4:27:43 AM

Go ahead and use the one cable with two connectors. It will work fine. The power drawn will not exceed the capabilities of the cable.
November 11, 2008 4:30:05 AM

Thank you both for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
November 11, 2008 4:30:10 AM

Don't worry so much. Unless your running a 250W PSU left over from some old Dell or Compaq, your 12v rail should have plenty to spare.
November 11, 2008 4:40:59 AM

Thanks. I'll be running on a 750w Silverstone.

My full specs are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4
4870 X2
Asus Rampage Formula motherboard
1TB Seagate HDD
8GB Corasir dual-channel DDR2 800Mhz (4 sticks of 2GB)

I've been doing a lot of research, and I thought I had accumulated enough knowledge that assembling my rig would be a breeze, but I guess I don't know much if I couldn't tell the difference between a power cable and a SATA cable.
!