Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5E problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2008 8:21:44 PM

Hello all.

Just today i rebuilt my computer with a new mother board. I used an Asus P5E board but i've ran into a problem. When I push the power button, the computer will look like it's going to boot .. i.e all the fans spin up and what not .. but then it just switches back off. It's done this every single time and I can't figure out for the life of me why this is.
I'm not a total expert at this and the situation has me a little confused and worried.

My specification is as follows just incase it would be any help to anyone so kind as to run through this problem with me:

Intel Core2 Duo 2.66ghz (I'm not sure what model that is)
2x1gig sticks of corsair ram running at 667mhz i think
Nvidia 8600gts
Asus P5E board.
Thermaltake tough power 700W power supply.

As i said, i'm very confused over all this and would appreciate some help.

Thank you for reading.

More about : asus p5e problem

January 20, 2008 8:23:56 PM

Have you hit the power button and let it do it's thing? Some P35s will double post when they first turn on.

Other than that start looking for a short or make sure everything is plugged in.
January 20, 2008 8:27:42 PM

Thank you for the reply.

I have indeed left the pc for a good long time and it just doesn't do anything else.

Also how would I go about checking to see if something has shorted out ?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 20, 2008 9:17:15 PM

Nekospam said:
Thank you for the reply.

I have indeed left the pc for a good long time and it just doesn't do anything else.

Also how would I go about checking to see if something has shorted out ?

It sounds like a potential memory problem. Is your memory on the approved list? Try booting up with only one stick installed. If one doesn't work, try the other. Reseat all cards that you have installed, and reseat the power connectors to all aux devices. Next, try resetting the bios. Take the battery out, short the CMOS clear jumpers for a good 30 s to 1 m, reinstall the battery, and try to power up.

If none of that works, the quickest way to test for a short is to bench test it. Lay the motherboard on the top of a desk or something(wood or cardboard or plastic surface), hook up the power and video, and short the pins for the power switch to turn the system on.

If you're able to boot with 1 stick, go into the bios and make sure the voltage is set properly for your ram.
January 20, 2008 9:21:24 PM

I have the same board and didn't encounter a problem like that. It could be a bad board.

BUT FIRST, remove/disconnect all hardware except the CPU/RAM and try to power it on. Even try just 1 stick at a time. If it stays on, add your video card. If it still works, reconnect drives one at a time then any other cards.

Another thing to check is that BOTH (2) power cables are plugged in to the motherboard.

If you get nothing with the CPU/RAM only, it's most likely either a power supply or motherboard issue. In that case I would re-seat the motherboard and then try a spare power supply if that didn't help.

a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2008 10:06:35 PM

you plug in the 12 v cpu plug from psu?
January 21, 2008 2:40:47 AM

Couple of things...

1. Make sure the video cards are seated properly. Take them out and re-seat them
2. Make sure the CPU fan is connected to the fan header on the motherboard and is working
3. The symptoms are almost like you are overclocling your memory...I have the same processor and motherboard...at 1066 mhz...the board starts up goes down for a second and restarts. Has to do with recognition of the memory timing. I am using PC9500. Do as earlier recommended and put in one memory stick and see if you can get into the bios setup...then make sure to set up properly.
4. Latter versions of the bios for the board (203 and higher) cause a lot of memory instability. If you have any older sticks of DDR2 laying around try to see if the machine will boot with them in. Corsair is on the approved list, last I checked. I personally went with Crucial Ballistix Tracers, based on what other P5E users recommended. Kingston is a no no on this board.
5. If all else fails, do as cb62fcni recommended. When I first fired up my board, I immediately upgraded my bios to 501 and had this symptom. You didn't mention if you did anything like that...but I assume not. Anyways...I could not get the machine to restart....so I had to reset the CMOS...took the battery out...move the jumper for like 1 minute...moved the jumper back...put the battery back in and I was able to power back up.

BTW...the chipset on the P5E is x38

If you are interested in further reading...Asus has it's own forums for each and every board. Here is the address for the P5E

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&mo...

Good Luck

Bob
May 2, 2008 1:19:49 PM

Three months later...

I have the same board, and the same problem... i have found how ever, that when i turn on the pc, if i press and hold the power button for an additional 2 seconds, this problem does not happen as much, 1 in every 30 starts at most.
July 19, 2008 9:08:49 AM

I have a similar system I have just built - Q6600, 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 6400, P5E (BIOS 0605), XFX 8800GTS 512MB A;pha Dog, 2 x 500GB Samsung HDD, Samsung DVD, Windows XP Home, Cosmos 1000 case - and am now having similar problems.

Having upgraded to BIOS 0605 and adjusted settings to get it to run with 4GB (667Mhz, etc) all was ok. But something has changed (I cannot see what) so that when powered up, fans run, power goes off for ~1-3 seconds and then all starts up ok - it does this 9 times out of 10 but occasionally starts with no problems.

Apart from it being strange that it did not do this initially it is not a problem UNLESS it suggests that there is fault somewhere. When up and running all temps, voltages, etc seem to be ok (used Core Temp, Speedfan, Hardware Monitor, etc).

I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

PEB
July 19, 2008 11:13:11 AM

What you are experiencing is quite normal. If you are running your ram at 1066, you will get the double post, because the JEDEC standard is 800 mhz and the board adjusts speed each time you power up for the first time. I experience this with my P5E and Crucial Ballistix Tracers at 1066 mhz. If you clock the memory at 800 mhz 4-4-4-12, you will not get the double post. I can even make this happen on my second system with Asus P5B Deluxe, if I clock the ram at 1066 instead of 800 mhz Nothing is wrong. Just an anomoly to get used to
July 19, 2008 12:43:03 PM

Thanks for that. I'll stop worrying (until I find something else in this system!). For instance, are the readings from the W83791D chip on the board of any significance? The temps and voltages are very strange whilst those on the W83627D seem fine (as seen from Hardware Monitor & Speedfan).
December 5, 2008 6:13:54 PM

I have 2 P5Es and am having this problem with one of them. I have not tried anything with the RAM yet, but have tried changing out the power supply, the hard drive, booting from the CD, and reinstalling the operating system. No change. I do notice some things.

1) The computer will always boot on the first try when rebooting from an operating condition but will never boot on the first try when it has been off for a period of time. It takes about 20 tries (on/off power cycles).

2) I get some peculiar error messages occasionally when it does boot, such as, new processor detected, cmos checksum error, or windows did not shut down properly.

3) The boot order sometimes gets changed in the BIOS without my input.
December 14, 2008 12:47:11 PM

tomzap said:
I have 2 P5Es and am having this problem with one of them. I have not tried anything with the RAM yet, but have tried changing out the power supply, the hard drive, booting from the CD, and reinstalling the operating system. No change. I do notice some things.

1) The computer will always boot on the first try when rebooting from an operating condition but will never boot on the first try when it has been off for a period of time. It takes about 20 tries (on/off power cycles).

2) I get some peculiar error messages occasionally when it does boot, such as, new processor detected, cmos checksum error, or windows did not shut down properly.

3) The boot order sometimes gets changed in the BIOS without my input.

Do you have the latest bios? It sounds to me like you have a problematic bios or the original bios. The latest bios is P5E 1102 Bios. Try it and let us know if this works
December 15, 2008 10:15:09 AM

Yes, I have the latest BIOS. Just to be sure, I downloaded a
new copy of the BIOS and reflashed. No change.
!