Desktop Case Question - "Size Matters"

Lawman02766

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
After some helpful advice this past weekend, I have decided to begin to assemble my list of parts for a new gaming system that I will build.

With regard to the case itself, the overall size of the box is a concern. Previously when I built a rig (2001), it was in a full tower which was custom painted and done up real nice. Problem was, it was so big it had to sit on the floor, which made it difficult to show off my work. Having moved past that, I want to build this rig in a smaller box that will sit on the desktop, within easy reach.

Many of the cases that I see, seem to be rather large in overall size. Presently, I am using a Dell Dimension 4600 that measures 14.5" H x 7" W x 16" D. I'd like to keep the new build to something close to this. Understandably, custom built computers usually want more space to "work" in and allow for airflow, etc. I agree with that, but at the same time, don't want a telephone booth on my desk.

I can click thru hundreds of cases on New Egg, T-Direct, etc. and note the dimensions, but was hoping that others here may have shared my thoughts and could suggest some good quality cases that meet my needs. Any info about psu or mobo compatability or other concerns that that you may have are appreciated. I am at the very early stages of data collection and reading tons of posts, so there is a lot to be learned before any purchases are made.

Thanks for the help.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
My recommendation would be the Silverstone Sugo SG01e Evolution ... it's black with plenty of ventilation for it's small size. It also supports most ATX power supplies (modular recommended) and can fits micro-ATX motherboards.

If you get one, consider the Silverstone NT06 Lite CPU cooler, as it's made to work pretty near perfectly in the sugo using the 12cm fan on the PSU for airflow.

Lawman02766

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Geofelt:

Thanks for that link. I am sure that will come in handy.

I think while I want it to be on the desktop, I must stress that this rig will be for gaming and I expect some level of noise to be present. Quieter is better obviously but I am not going to limit myself on other other hardware in order to keep a silent computer.

o1die and Coret...thanks as well, I will look at those boxes too.

Can you use a micro-atx mobo? Other than limited pci slots, you could use only one pci-e slot, and probably not be able to overclock.

If you prefer a full size atx board, then I can recommend the Antec Solo or one of it's derivatives. It is very quiet, and has good ventilation and a modest mid-size footpront.

4745454b

Titan
While I can't suggest a "good" case, I can tell you to avoid the PSU that comes with that athena tech case. They are a crap company, and make junk PSUs. The case might be ok, but if you can, buy it without the PSU.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
If you intend to overclock and end up choosing a micro-atx case i can give some examples of the micro boards which *can* overclock :)

Lawman02766

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Ok, here's where I stand right now. I have reading posts like mad and seem to pretty confident in a couple of things. I won't get into all the details here in the Cases/PSU/CPU area....but want to see if I am looking at the right cases. I will most likely purchase the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Mobo and put the Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 on it. Obviously, I will need other things but for now let's assume those 2 things when choosing a case.

Now, several of the suggested cases are the typical "desktop" style that a monitor sits on. I don't have a problem with that, but I am wondering about the available space inside for all the "Stuff". It seems to me that these may be too small on the inside. Yes, I'd like it to be compact and have as a small a footprint as possible, but I also don't want to be trying to install expensive components into a space that will be near impossible to do so. I have no problem plopping down a mid-tower on the desktop, but would like to avoid sitting in the shadow of a 20" high full tower.

Now with the above cpu/mobo info, are there specific concerns that I should be aware of when choosing a case and psu? I understand that I should be looking at the Tier 3 and up brands. I think the biggest concern I have (for now) are balancing the size of the case itself vs. having proper cooling and space to put the guts of the computer. I don't want the computer as a whole to be enormous, but at the same time I don't want to scrimp of interior room and access.

Thanks for the continued responses.

Dave

Without using a micro-ATX mobo, you will not have a truly small case. There is a minimum amount of volume required for the parts. Look at the design of the silverstone lascala 10 case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163033 The components are closely arranged inside, and there is just no more volume for anything more. Different cases can rearrange the contents, but the number of cubic inches must not go below some minimum. In the end, you will have a case that is about 8" wide, 17" tall, and 18" deep, give or take part of an inch. Again, I recommend the Antec Solo. 17"H x 8.1"W x 18.5"D.
It's inaudible to me at my deskside, , and well ventilated.
I would not worry about installing components inside a case that is small. You only do it once. If you have fat fingers like me, get a #2 phillips head screwdriver with a magnetic tip. It makes installing parts MUCH easier. For any case you are considering, go to their web wite and download the instruction manual.

As to the psu, there is no need to consider anything but tier 2 and better. There are many to pick from there.

Lawman02766

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Thanks again. The "Solo" was one that I looked at briefly last night and mentally put it on my "maybe" list. It's a bit bigger than the dimensions of my Dell (Dimension4600...ugh, bad pun) but within reason. I'll look a little more closely at it right now.

Are there things that you dislike or found to be problematic? I seem to have a few complaints at Newegg about the power button being poorly designed or of low quality. Anything else from your experience that might be useful to know?

The best solution for a "gaming" case, would be using a water cooler with minimal fans. That way it can set infront of you and be fairly silent, the size of the case wouldn't matter that much as it's properly cooled by water.
You just have to deside either to use dual video cards, or single only. Note: some of the newer high end games played on high resolution monitors really do benefit from dual cards.

re: Antec Solo case. I can't think of anything I don't like. I have had three of them, and will probably use another for my next build. The power button has not been a problem. How often do you use it anyway? I also like Antec support for cases. Some time ago, I inquired about buying a replacement usb front panel port on a super lanboy that was damaged by me. They asked no questions, and shipped me a complete replacement front panel for free.

Also, their sonata designer 500 case is the same case in white with stealth drive doors and a nice 500w psu.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with the Cooler Master Centurion 5:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119077

Benefits include a top-mounted power supply bracket, which allows you to use a power supply with oversized fan on the bottom (actually the lid: Power supplies are supposed to be upside-down). A large power supply on the bottom pulls warm air away from the CPU and blows it out the rear of the case. This is the same function as served by lid-mounted exhaust fans, but reduces the number of total fans in the case by one, reducing noise.

It's also relatively trim for a mid-tower, with good quality metal work, a side window to show off your work, and a low price.