My IBM machine won't turn on

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Ok I got this IBM machine when I try to turn on, it turns on for half a sec and then it turns off. It will just keep on trying to do the same thing if I leave it without unpluggin the power. First I thought the PSU was bad, so I changed that but that wasn't the problem. I tried to change RAM as well... could this be the motherboard problem? My assumption is it is but I do not have another motherboard to test it out... anyone had/have similar problem? Thanks

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
could your power switch be bad. If you short out the power button connectors on most motherboards the computer will turn on then turn off in 4 sec or less. if you are going to try this also test the reset switch. Sometimes a bad connection to the motherboard can make all the difference.

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
I did another test and I found out something if I took out the CPU and turn on the computer, it looks like it runs fine all the fans turns on and start spinning. It can't be the CPU issue becacuse I put in another working CPU and tried. I am not next to that PC now I believe the model is 8078, P4 3.0Ghz, 512RAM 200PSU

Da_Banig

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Could be, just don't wanna conclue that yet because it is then the whole PC is usually since I am not going to get another motherboard lol beside its a pretty old PC