Intel Accused of breaching European Anti-trust Rules

Intel plays dirty…shame on them

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/27/Intel-breaching-European-antitrust-rules_1.html

Article Quote:
Quote:
Intel abused its position in three ways, according to the Commission: by offering rebates to PC makers who agree to buy the majority of their processors from Intel; by making payments to some manufacturers to encourage them to delay or cancel products using AMD processors, and by selling processors below cost when bidding against AMD for contracts with server makers.
33 answers Last reply
More about intel accused breaching european anti trust rules
  1. Your effort of going out of your way to search for every little piece of anti-Intel news should be applauded.... but your intention of finding them should not.
  2. Amd plays dirty...
  3. Yea, I guess now if you get accused you are guilty...

By the way, why bring this stuff up? Isn't AMD's superior performance, as you touted, enough?

Good laugh tho.. I guess you'll do til we get BM back.
  4. BM's side kick huh...

Too bad but BM likes to troll alone.
  5. Whats your point? the EU plays to the tune of everyone who's willing to pay.
  6. thunderman said:
    Intel plays dirty…shame on them

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/07/27/Intel-breaching-European-antitrust-rules_1.html

Article Quote:
    Quote:
    Intel abused its position in three ways, according to the Commission: by offering rebates to PC makers who agree to buy the majority of their processors from Intel; by making payments to some manufacturers to encourage them to delay or cancel products using AMD processors, and by selling processors below cost when bidding against AMD for contracts with server makers.

This is from July, I guess Intel is guilty by now huh?

P.O.S.
  7. Is thunderman some kind of troll bot sent from Azeroth.
  8. stemnin said:
    Is thunderman some kind of troll bot sent from Azeroth.

lol, Thunderman DELETED
    just wants to start a flame war and has to much free time on his hands. Or maybe he has a Phenom processor and the only thing he can do with it is search the internet so that the errata doesn't start acting up on him, so he looks up bad info on the company that actually has turned out good products recently to make himself feel better about his buyers remorse he is feeling. lmao...what an DELETED

Best,

3Ball
  9. Tsk, tsk. Let's treat Thunderman with courtesy and respect, even though his opinions are nothing but DELETED. :)
  10. Turpit already has a bullseye painted on this guy. It's just a matter of time.
  11. Evilonigiri said:
    Amd plays dirty...

I agree...they should do the right thing and recall all Phenom cpu's and replace them with Intel Q6600
  12. kellytm3 said:
    I agree...they should do the right thing and recall all Phenom cpu's and replace them with Intel Q6600

Outsourcing.
  13. kellytm3 said:

Heh - Just so long as *I* don't get stuck with the job of gluing all of those itty~bitty pins to the bottoms of the Q's. :pt1cable:
  14. This is how the European Union makes money, I'm sure they would be sueing AMD if they had any. :)
  15. Give me a break, there have been in the last month over a dozen posts about AMD sucks this and AMD sucks that yadda yadda yadda.....what you can dish it out but you can't take it?

I thought so :kaola:

Nothing but a bunch of little kitty cats..........
  16. caamsa said:
    Give me a break, there have been in the last month over a dozen posts about AMD sucks this and AMD sucks that yadda yadda yadda.....what you can dish it out but you can't take it?

I thought so :kaola:

Nothing but a bunch of little kitty cats..........

You're right, we should bring up some more stuff about AMD that has no current source...

Hmm.. what were they doing back in 98?
  17. obviously there should be a complementary x48 mobo as well..... *goes out and buys phantasy phenom*
  18. Thanatos421 said:
    Turpit already has a bullseye painted on this guy. It's just a matter of time.

No I really dont, and I have yet to see Thunderman do anything in violation of THGs TOS.

THG is an open forum. Everyone, everyone, is entitled to their opinion, and entitled to state it and debate it here. Its part of the reason Ive stayed in THG forum alls these years...I appreciate THGs freedom of expresion, and that appreciation is prolly in no small factor for them choosing me to be a mod.<<<<though no doubt they are begining to regret it>>>> That and Im old enough to know that because I may not agree with someone, or like them, that it doesnt give me the right to abuse the controls I have for my own personal reasons.

That said, freedom of expression extends up to but not beyond the point of personal attacks. There's a place on THGF for name calling, if you want to do that, but its not in the hardware section. Any who want to go there are welcome. MUHAHAHAHAhaaaaaaaaa

Fanboy is not a name.....it is a way of life

turpit
  19. cnumartyr said:
    You're right, we should bring up some more stuff about AMD that has no current source...

Hmm.. what were they doing back in 98?

Here is AMD's road map for 1998.

http://www.lri.fr/archi/mirror/CIC/announce/1997/amd_roadmap98.html
  20. turpit said:
    No I really dont, and I have yet to see Thunderman do anything in violation of THGs TOS.

THG is an open forum. Everyone, everyone, is entitled to their opinion, and entitled to state it and debate it here. Its part of the reason Ive stayed in THG forum alls these years...I appreciate THGs freedom of expresion, and that appreciation is prolly in no small factor for them choosing me to be a mod.<<<<though no doubt they are begining to regret it>>>> That and Im old enough to know that because I may not agree with someone, or like them, that it doesnt give me the right to abuse the controls I have for my own personal reasons.

That said, freedom of expression extends up to but not beyond the point of personal attacks. There's a place on THGF for name calling, if you want to do that, but its not in the hardware section. Any who want to go there are welcome. MUHAHAHAHAhaaaaaaaaa

Fanboy is not a name.....it is a way of life

turpit

No! Not the "Other" section................. :ouch:
  21. Quote:
    i will have you know the other section is the height of sophistication thank you very much.

oh and turpit, you are a little **** ****** ***** ****** god damn ******** ******* :D

Now we will know where to find you..........in the basement........ :D
  22. I have no respect for the European Union. They found MS guilty of anti-turst since they included WMP(Windows Media Player) and that was enough.

Last time I loaded a Linux/Unix based system they had a media player. I guess that they want MS to either a. have a blank nothing included OS or B. become an opensource OS which would basically mean MS wouldn't make any money.

Either way it seems that the European Union is trying to get any US based company in its crosshairs. I hear its going after Google next since it has the superior search engine.
  23. As far as exclusivity and rebates are concerned - it's common practice. Do you think that centralized service contracts are the sole reason you don't see large companies with Dell and HP servers and workstations? Can you buy a Pepsi at McDonalds?

The EU may find Intel in a short-sighted grab for cash, but they should consider future repercussions, as this ruling will effect a lot more businesses than just Intel. I will concede, however, that if Intel engaged in any monopolistic forcing (Practices beyond those stated in the linked article), they should be held accountable.

The OP reminds me of someone. I'll give you 9 guesses as to who.

In order to save Turpit some time and aggravation, I'll continue by saying:
    DELETED,

DELETED.

And, to expound on that thought:
    DELETED.
  24. Quote:
    As far as exclusivity and rebates are concerned - it's common practice. Do you think that centralized service contracts are the sole reason you don't see large companies with Dell and HP servers and workstations? Can you buy a Pepsi at McDonalds?

Yes well, we have HP Dell and Sun servers in our machine room, but that's not the point.
    A company with what is considered a monoply is held to a different standard. Perhaps it's not "fair", but without it, there is no competition, and a free enterprise sytem becomes a dictatorship.
    Intel used those tactics to sell prescotts over A64s. I think that was a crime, but the reality is, the practice is contibutory to AMD's predicament of poor R&D and low production capabilities.
    Since AMD is less able to compete, Intel will be a little slower to bring out thier next tic, or toc.
    We all loose.
  25. except intel :P
  26. exit2dos said:
    As far as exclusivity and rebates are concerned - it's common practice.

well maybe in the US, not in Europe (or atleast here in Finland it isn't)
  27. Is anyone realy supprised? I mean Intel has managed to shut down 2 major charity orgs that helped get PC/laptops into the hands of the lower class. Alot of that charity work was in Europe. The Euros are a bit pissed off atm. Then again all of these big biz do the same stuff. If they can grind out a penny from something they will. I dont doubt for a second AMD would not do the same.
  28. jerseygamer said:
    Is anyone realy supprised? I mean Intel has managed to shut down 2 major charity orgs that helped get PC/laptops into the hands of the lower class. Alot of that charity work was in Europe. The Euros are a bit pissed off atm. Then again all of these big biz do the same stuff. If they can grind out a penny from something they will. I dont doubt for a second AMD would not do the same.

How did Intel shut down two charities? Links please.

Gee.... Another half-year old article from Thunderman trying to support his favorite company, AMD.
  29. endyen said:
    Quote:
    As far as exclusivity and rebates are concerned - it's common practice. Do you think that centralized service contracts are the sole reason you don't see large companies with Dell and HP servers and workstations? Can you buy a Pepsi at McDonalds?

Yes well, we have HP Dell and Sun servers in our machine room, but that's not the point.
    A company with what is considered a monoply is held to a different standard. Perhaps it's not "fair", but without it, there is no competition, and a free enterprise sytem becomes a dictatorship.
    Intel used those tactics to sell prescotts over A64s. I think that was a crime, but the reality is, the practice is contibutory to AMD's predicament of poor R&D and low production capabilities.
    Since AMD is less able to compete, Intel will be a little slower to bring out thier next tic, or toc.
    We all loose.

Though maybe theoretically correct, given the timelines from R&D to market, and given AMD's relatively recent market shares of 30+% and brief burst of profitability, I'd bet they'd have a hard time proving that the current R&D and mfg predicaments they are in are anything other than poor corporate management...

I guess the lawyers will have to figure this one out since it'll likely only be a matter of time before AMD tries to litigate it's way out of another self-inflicted f-up...
  30. http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSLA65226120071016
    dated Oct 15th 2007 "Intel Corp has been granted until January 4 to respond to antitrust charges leveled by the European Commission"

looks like they havent formally responded yet, we'll hear from them pretty soon I'd guess
  31. Quote:
    the difference being that it ain't their media player, it is the one that they think suits people's needs and is most compatable. microsoft puts there own media player(which is good enough for me) with their operating system. their is a difference, with linux it is very easty to get another media player or any other software but they do not go out of their way to intergrate a specific one into it. also, linux ones support many more formats and options, you are not limited as much.

sorry, but your argument fails.

I will agree that it may not be Linux's own media player but MS including WMP is not "anti-trust" breaking. It is originally set to play MP3s and WMA(WMA makes sense) but is not restricted to that. In XP you can set the default program that would want specific files to open with. This includes music files, video files, CDs/DVDs even certain files like DLLs and are not restricted to the programs that MS includes. Thats my point. You can download Real Player(why you would want to I don't know) and set it to open everything music/video wise.

Its like when people got mad that MS incorporated Internet Explorer as part of the Kernal in Windows 98+. They of course didn't see the benefit of it since it greatly increased the speed and responsiveness of the OS as compared to Windows 95 they just saw it as MS trying to push IE on them when you could install and use any browser you wanted. When I lived with my grandparents I used almost every browser out since we moved through internet providers a lot and used AOL(which blew), IE, Firefox, Netscape even Earthlinks browser. You are not restricted to IE its just there for those who want to use it.

I prefer WMP as it is easy to use, has a great library feature and you can download plugins for it with ease such as DivX for .avi playback. I see that MS includes IE, WMP and the other features like WMC (in Vista) for those who are not computer/software savvy which is probably roughly 90% of the mass majority. Those who are computer/software savvy have the option to buy other programs or download the free ones that they want.

What the EU wants for MS is for them to release their Kernal and their software so everyone can use it. When MS was developing Vista they decided to lock the Kernal and McAffe was mad since we all know that the anti-virus companies produce 90% of the viruses so they can sell their product and MS said no.

Its kinda like with Intel vs AMD. Even when AMD had roughly 33% of the market share they didn't have the power to mass produce the CPUs and outsell Intel. Where Intel could produce 1 million of a certain CPU family AMD could produce lets say 300k so Intel had more to sell and vendors needed CPUs for their PCs they sold especially to large corporations that would buy thousands at a time. I also see nothing wrong with a vendor being exclusive or getting rebates for buying bulk. The reason Wal Mart has lower prices than most other places is due to the fact that they buy everything in such large comodaties that they get discounts.

I just don't see how even when AMD is gaining market share can think that its only due to Intels exclusivity/discounts when the bulk of AMD not out selling Intel is due to the fact that they cannot manufacture as many CPUs as Intel. And now they seem to be getting in a worse state.

Think of this real quick. NVidia has more "exclusive" partners who make only their cards where as ATI makes their own and has a few who make their cards(some who make NVidia as well such as Asus). Due to this even when ATI would be the better card its probably possible that NVidia might have a superior manufacturing process. Would this make NVidia a monopoly or would it just mean that NVidia can make more GPUs and has more companies to throw those cards out? And I prefer ATI after my horrible experience with both NVidias cards and drivers. Just food for thought.
  32. Kari said:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSLA65226120071016
    dated Oct 15th 2007 "Intel Corp has been granted until January 4 to respond to antitrust charges leveled by the European Commission"

looks like they havent formally responded yet, we'll hear from them pretty soon I'd guess

Only thing that they forgot was that they were also leveled by AMD as AMD is the company that has been starting all thes suits.
  33. jimmysmitty said:
    Only thing that they forgot was that they were also leveled by AMD as AMD is the company that has been starting all thes suits.

well no, AMD did tip them and asked a investigation but AMD isnt sueing them, only the commission is and the whole process is just in the beginning. And if Intel eventually gets fined all the money will just disappear in the bottomless pockets of the EU, AMD wont get a dime. (unless Intel is actually ruled to pay compensations aswell in addition to the fine, but I kind of doubt thats gonna happen)
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Processors Intel European Product