Isn't Two Better Than One???

rhawkesus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
I read allot of AMD vs. Intel rivalry in these forums? To be honest, I like it best when both companies are strong and doing well. This creates a competition that in the end is much better for us. I for one would hate to see a market where one was the only boy on the block. This would leave us at there mercy to do as they please. And don’t take me wrong I have owned both and have no loyalty to either company. I hope I still have a choice in the years to come. In some ways I can’t help but think that maybe AMD needs us to support them just to insure there survival?

rhawkesus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Sorry if this post is old hat, it just seems that whoever has the flavor of the month is the only one worth looking at. Should we not be promoting both companies? When you get new folks who maybe don’t know what to buy, I always tried to give the good and bad of both. I have been in computer support for over fifteen years and have seen allot come and go in that time.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Everyone wants both companies to be strong.

There was a time that Intel was horrible with performance and AMD had the crown.

Intel has now stolen it back, AMD had a chance with it's K10, but has so far not delivered.

I propose a toast to AMD/ATI. May 2008 treat them a bit better.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

http://www.saveamd.com/paypal.html

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

I completely disagree with this exact idea, if we support a company when they are doing a bad job they might grow too faithful of their fanbase and won't feel the adequate pressure to get their act right.

The best way to support the insdustry is by ignoring the inferior players, so they need to outperform the leaders to keep in business.

My 2 cents of the economics of inovation :lol:

rhawkesus

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
You know I think AMD's current problem is poor management. They need to go in and clean house. Maybe a strong company may step up to the plate, I think there worth saving?

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

It's not beating a dead horse, it's more like a necromancer in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 raising a skeleton from a dead horse. :lol:

I'll be upgrading to Phenom with a 3850 because the price is right, the performance is 17-25% better per core than the current Athlon X2 I have, my ASUS 690G board has a bios available that fulfills the AM2 upgrade promise, and because I really don't see all that much between a Phenom and a Kentsfield in performance.

Now, the next generation of Intel CPU's if they are to C2D what C2D was to Netburst, then they'll be much faster, but probably out of my price range next year. Even if AMD dies, then someone will buy their tech and we might see another competitor to Intel that actually has R&D money to burn.