is overclocking dependent on the mobo and bios only?

rrr1431

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
I was planning to overclock my old AMD Sempron 3200 but I only have an ECS GeForce6100SM-M mobo.
I was wondering if you can overclock using ANY mobo?

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
Some motherboards may be locked, and therefore without a bios change, you cant oc with them.

I really know nothing about that MB but the chances are that you can OC using it. However, i would suggest that you read up on it a bit before you jump straight in there. Your cooling may be insufficient to get much of an OC.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
ECS are crap MB's....period no matter the price.
Given you have both an ECS and an old Sempron 3200 CPU I am suprized they still work.
Clearly you do not use the computer to play any games in the past 5 years.

If you plan to play any games in made in the past 2 years then forget OC'ing your system and expect to spend $800-$1800 on a new system if you build it yoursef.

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
overclocking is dependant on the Mobo.

If you have a crappy mobo, you wont be able to overclock.

Basically if you look in your bios, and see options to adjust FSB, Dram:FSB, and stuff like that, you can overclock.

If you dont, it may be hidden, or just plain not there.

Now adays on newer boards you can overclock through the operating system via some software, but again it relies on the Mobo, if the mobo doesnt support overclocking then you certainly wont be able to do it via some software.

Graphics cards on the otherhand you OC them through software. They are not dependant on the mobo. Mobos control themselves (FSB, PCI), Ram & CPU frequencies.

If you are new to overclocking read up and ask questions or you can easily break something. There are plenty of safe things to play with though, just need to understand what they are.

You can build yourself a decent gaming PC these days for about 500 excluding monitor and perhiprials. If you can reuse some parts like case, PSU, & HDD your looking at 250~400 for a budget gaming PC.