Sound/Audio
Integrated High Definition audio

* Realtek ALC 882 chipset
* Supports up to 8 audio channels
* Dolby Pro Logic II compatible

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

Then I replaced the HDD (400Gb), the Graphic Card (8600GTS) and the power supply (600W).

Switched it on: the fans stopped after a split second and nothing afterwards, no post, no boot...
I came back to my old config: same thing.

The guy at PC World suspecting the mobo, I bought a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3(rev. 3.3) which obviously didn't fit in my HP microATX case... Lucky enough I had another ATX case: here, nothing still.

So if you followed the story, the only parts which remains unchanged are the CPU and the RAM. Do you guys think it comes from there?

Can a faulty CPU/RAM explain the absence of POST and PSU turning off by itself (looks like the PSU doesn't function because it seems to have detected a shortcircuit somewhere....)

All kind of help welcomed !

Cheers !

More about : post boot

January 21, 2008 7:45:02 PM

Well, with a dead CPU the machine would fire up and stay on; however you wouldnt be getting a post. As for the RAM, that would had been the 2nd thing I would have looked at behind the PSU.

In short, check to see if your RAM is borked.
January 21, 2008 8:35:49 PM

You need to plug the cpu fan in?
Related resources
January 22, 2008 7:24:44 AM

Cheers,

Will do the check for the RAM tonight... I'm still getting a new CPU....

PSU = they seem to work fine.
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2008 1:18:05 PM

Try clearing the Bios.
January 23, 2008 7:04:37 AM

Hi Lads,

Ok Got myself a Core 2 Duo E6850, 4Gb of RAM (1Gbx4), a New PSU (Cooler Master 620W.

So here is what I tried:

- plugged in the New CPU, New RAM (just one in DDR slot 1) and New PSU to the Gigabyte Mobo: No go. Still the same. Fans kicking in for a split second and dies, blank screen.

- plugged in the New CPU, New RAM and New PSU to the old mobo: Fans kick in but nothing on the screen.

So what's that all about? I am entirely lost on this subject.

Evongugg>> you mean the CMOS? The Gigabyte is a new mobo and it hasn't boot yet...

Please Help !
a b V Motherboard
January 23, 2008 10:46:22 AM

Yes try removing the battery on the motherboard for 30 secs. It will clear the CMOS.
January 23, 2008 1:20:42 PM

sounds like you forgot a power connector...........
January 23, 2008 2:00:39 PM

Well in my knowledge there nothing else than an ATX 24 pins and the 12V 4 pins /or 8 pins which I have both connected...
January 23, 2008 2:23:45 PM

Are you grounding your machine out?....
January 23, 2008 3:05:48 PM

grounding your machine out???
January 23, 2008 5:36:28 PM

Yes, is the unit making contact with any surfaces that may ground your machine?
January 23, 2008 6:14:24 PM

kuiksilver are sure you have the power switch from front on and off btton to the mother bd plugged in correctly,some connectors have plus and minus on them and it may be plugged in wrong!
January 23, 2008 8:52:02 PM

grounding out I think he ment to say are the standoffs used properly under the board. If one is hitting the underside of board it will short circuit.

So at this point what is New? Everything? Whats the part tally now, and list old and new so we know.
January 23, 2008 9:34:24 PM

major53 said:
kuiksilver are sure you have the power switch from front on and off btton to the mother bd plugged in correctly,some connectors have plus and minus on them and it may be plugged in wrong!

That’s a very good point…

If any of the connections from the case to the MB (HDD light/reset/power/etc) are incorrectly placed it may cause what you have described.

Just hook the power one up, remove the others and give it a shot.
January 24, 2008 1:21:52 PM

Xtreme:

Here is the list...

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 1 year old
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 new
PSU HP no brand 350W 1 year old
Jeantech 600W new
Cooler Master Real Power 620W new
Mobo ASUS P5BW-LA 1 year old
Gigabyte G965P DS3P new
RAM 4 x 512Mb DDR2 533Mhz no brand 1 year old
4 x 1Gb DDR2 800Mhz Elite new

Grieve, no chance because I short the power pins with a jumper.

And yes I have checked everything so that it is not short circuited...

This is becoming a mystery. I am really confused.
January 25, 2008 7:36:33 PM

kuiksilver could you take every thing out and plug every thing outside the case on a piece of card board .

just take front power on and off button and try plugging to board and parts outside the case? just a thought!
January 26, 2008 6:29:40 AM

I agree with major. Build it outside case, easier to work with too. Then I would have just the psu, mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram, video, keyboard and monitor. Make sure the cpu fan is in the proper fan header on mainboard. No hard drive cdrom etc. Try it that way.
September 18, 2008 8:24:08 PM

I'm rather late to the party on this one (just read the post today for the first time, blame google) but I wanted to mention to anyone fighting this sort of thing in the future:

The problem was most likely the static jumper to the PWR header. ATX uses a momentary pushbutton to activate the system, so a static jumper would cause the system to think there was a power problem, thus aborting a boot everytime the system tried to boot (when AC was applied).

Therefore, I feel bad about the OP, but I think it was just not doing as he should have that got him in trouble.

Laterz
September 22, 2008 12:27:25 AM

Hello,

I'm having the same problem. How do I resolve? I'm not sure I understand your solution. I saw on the diagram what appears to be the header. I've attached a link I found of pictures I've found for the motherboard. Could you let me know in detail how to resolve. This is driving me nuts! THanks in advance for the help.

C.J.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
May 25, 2009 4:04:41 PM

sponge said:
Hello,

I'm having the same problem. How do I resolve? I'm not sure I understand your solution. I saw on the diagram what appears to be the header. I've attached a link I found of pictures I've found for the motherboard. Could you let me know in detail how to resolve. This is driving me nuts! THanks in advance for the help.

C.J.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

No Post, No Boot
I have started having a simular probem. Fan start for a second on startup and shuts down. Can remove 4 wire connector for 12v leads, and fans will run, but no video.

What was the reslove to your problem?

Thanks,
GJS
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2009 6:55:53 PM

my issue was the same no post no beeps no video. on the hp multimedia pc. my problem turned out to shorted pci slot or card.... (wireles pci card). removed it.. and all works fine. But I first replaces the power supply and video card.. and nothing... take out wireless pci card... and walaaa... hope this helps someone else....

ruben.. h
December 30, 2010 2:39:46 PM

I apologise for digging up an old thread but just wondered if a positive end resulted cos I 've just had the same problem. I swapped out the stnd E6400 chip for an E6700 and got no POST beep no VGA signal NADA !
I swapped back in the E6400 and everything is fine again !
How on earth does one go about upgrading the CPU in this HP Pavilion ??( PS exact same specs m7635.uk and M/Bd is also an P5B W-LA)

Looking for answers- is my chip dodgy??
!